RC poster

New X-Maxx; problems out of the box....

Evening, Folks!

I have been out of the RC worlds for more years than I care to say. Just got a new X-Maxx a week ago today. It's a Snap-On model but I threw on a cheap body for trashing.

Love the power of this thing but problems rose almost right out of the box. I have already rebuilt the front shocks due to blown seal. Up'ed them to 60wt oil but have yet to really try that out.

Biggest issue I have is a sever shudder in the lower speed range at near full throttle. I initially thought it was the ESC not being able to make up its mind if it should motor or brake. It was only showing up when running 6s with the 5000mAh batteries that came with it. The thought was the batteries could not supply enough current for the amount of torque being demanded.

Talked with Traxxas support and they recommended trying another set of 3s batteries to rule out a bad set of batteries.

Well, today it showed up again with vengeance; only with the 4s batteries. That rules out the batteries at least.

Now I am thinking its likely in the ESC. After my conversation with Traxxas support; if it is the ESC, this sounded like it was going to take a while for them to test it and decided what to do.

I decided to join and put this in front of the vast knowledge that I hope resides here. Is there something I am missing? I was thinking could it be gears coming out of mesh? Hoping someone has already ran into this before and has an easy fix. At least a place for me to look.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

RC Qualifier
    1 max6 esc will solve one problem
    2 donít use the stock motor mesh system
    3 have fun
    4 get non traxxas batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I have a max 6 in one of mine. It’s superior to what traxxas supplies.

Send the esc back and buy a max 6 it drops rite in.

*It's not that big of a request but this forum will naturally have a pro-Traxxas bias and their home is not a place to bash them. Be respectful of our host.*
    Last edited by Double G; 01-30-2020 at 08:36 PM.

RC Qualifier
    you should pick up the bluetooth module for the remote so you can upgrade the firmware of the esc/receiver/transmitter with the app.

dont know if it will fix the problem but its worth a shot. plus some of the features of the app are nice

Have you done a check over all the rig build. Nothing loose? Or excess play and slop. From shocks to tires. Sometimes things are not built right out of the box. Always best to do a once over.
    Or may of picked up a rock or something in a bad spot in first few mins of playing.

Firmware update may help. But my bet is obstructions somewhere.

Roll the car on ground and see if anything feels off. Can out in bench and giver her a go and looks for things that seem off.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Good morning, thanks for all the quick responses.

I was contemplating about a firmware update, figured it couldn't hurt. I think my next step will be looking into the blue tooth option so I can do the updates. I will likely do this parallel to the thorough rig checks.

Does anyone know if there is ID software for a PC or is it only offered on mobile devices?

I did do a quick once-over right out of the box. Suspension components and wheels all checked out. However I did not remove the motor or do anything invasive. I didn't notice any noises or things other than just the PM motor turning. Gears sound good, at least better than other RC's I have been around.

I will try to dig into it some this weekend. At least pull the motor and see if the rest of the drive-train seems to roll smooth.

On a side note; I did not come here to sound like I was bashing, just looking for a remedy I can do at home to fix this before sending parts off for evaluation and being down a rig, that is literally new, for a month. I was expecting to find pro-Traxxas solutions on their home turf. What I was not expecting to hear is that the Max 6 is superior to what Traxxas supplies. That didn't sound too pro-traxxas to me, but if that is the solution, so be it.

RC Racer
    My $0.02 .. if it's new, Traxxas should be able to send you a new ESC. FW update certainly couldn't hurt. As for 3rd party ESC's, if you decide to move to one, Max 6 is good - Max 5 is better. The company that makes Max 5 / 6, make that exclusively. Traxxas makes some really good cars, not so much the electronics (you can't be great at everything). This isn't a dig because Traxxas electronics are good - but companies that specialize in it, obviously do better.

FWIW .. I'm running in a completely stock configuration (8S version).
    Last edited by TraxxasTigger; 01-31-2020 at 08:45 AM.

RC poster
    Well, I got a chance on Monday to go through everything mechanically. Pulled the motor. Drive-train felt good; nothing catching or chugging there. Put it back together and went for a quick rip and everything was awesome.

Tonight I swapped gears. Things got heated at work today and ended with a grudge match against a UDR. Race was supposed to be tomorrow. I made it about 600' after swapping gears tonight. All lights on the ESC stay on and it will not turn off without disconnecting a battery.

Sending motor & ESC in for evaluation. Huge bummer considering this thing has less than 2 hours of power-on time. Hopefully it all gets sorted out.

RC Qualifier
    Itís better to turn off by unplugging as itís safer

RC Racer
    I had the same stutter your talking about. Ran it that way until my esc went out. Max6 now and I am VERRY happy.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    Itís better to turn off by unplugging as itís safer

I'm curious, what is the reasoning behind this? Not saying it's wrong as I know some recent FW updates that friends have done leave them to resorting to this method. The button on the ESC no longer turns things off.

I am used to disconnecting under load not being good due to arcing. Granted the fans and CPU don't exactly draw enough current to create an arc. I also believe that it's best to shut processors down instead of just killing power.

Quote Originally Posted by Atonimo View Post
    I had the same stutter your talking about. Ran it that way until my esc went out. Max6 now and I am VERRY happy.
    That is likely the route I will go if A) they don't replace for free under warranty or B) when it happens again.
    Last edited by Double G; 02-06-2020 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Merge

RC Racer
    Traxxas is amazing at taking care of the customer!! But in the end max5/6 is still where most of us end up.

RC Qualifier
    The main reason is that if you click the button and the esc starts malfunctioning the truck could run away causing larger problems thatís why you alway turn your tx on first and off last

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    The main reason is that if you click the button and the esc starts malfunctioning the truck could run away causing larger problems thatís why you alway turn your tx on first and off last

I got to wondering if that wasn't the answer. I can see things getting a little western if the truck got a mind of its own.

RC poster
    Update:

This has to be one of the fastest turn-around in customer service. I had the report and resolution notification back from Traxxas the day they received my motor and ESC. Motor tested OK; it was shipped back on the road the next day with a new ESC.

I got everything back together tonight and give it a go.

Completely shredded the spur gear. Guess I am going to look into upgrading that now.

RC Qualifier
    GDS spur gears and Robinson racing pinions

RC poster
    Thank you much! Parts will be here tomorrow.