RC poster

Guidance for upgrading my TRX4 Traxx

Hello all! I have purchased several items to upgrade my TRX4 Traxx with. What I am hoping for, is that someone might be able to provide me with the preferred order in which to install them. My plan is, currently, to install them all at the same time, so I am just trying to figure out which order to install them in, so that I do not find myself repeating steps that could otherwise have been avoided. The following are the upgrades I have purchased so far:

1) Traxxas 2255 Servo
    2) Traxxas 2262 High Voltage BEC
    3) Traxxas 8195 Differential Lock
    4) Traxxas 8196 Two Speed Transmission
    5) Traxxas 8140R Long Arm Kit
    6) Traxxas 6507R TQi Transmitter set

Your assistance is appreciated far more than you know, and I thank you in advance for any help you might provide!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

First, I would gut it like a fish, disassemble everything down to the axles and the frame (keeping the frame and axles assembled). Leave any electronics on the chassis that will not be changed (assuming the XL5). Start with the transmission and diff lockers, get those installed first. Then put the suspension kit on. After that put the electronics back, installing the BEC, the new TX/RX and the servo.

A couple of things to consider:
    • Do you have the mini servos for the diff lockers and the transmission?
    • Given that the servos are basically a new install, I would connect them one system at a time, making sure they are working properly, then go on to the next one. If you install them all, and turn the whole mess on you could fry a servo while you are adjusting another servo.
    • When taking everything apart, seperate the parts into logical groups; the same goes for screws and other parts. For instance, when you go to install the lockers, you will have to take off the knuckles, put all of the screws and parts the axles in one spot, and do not mix them up with other parts/screws.
    • Recommend having the assembly manual for the whole truck downloaded and ready to look at, it will help with making sure the right screws and parts go back in their correct locations.
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R05.pdf
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Wow, @Greatscott , that was incredibly thorough, and even more appreciated! You are correct, I bought the two kits for the transmission and diff lock upgrades, so they do include the new servos as well. You provided me even more information than I had hoped, and I will follow your instructions to a T. I cannot thank you enough for your help, and hope that I may, one day, be able to repay the kindness.

RC Qualifier
    nice guidance GS

Itís really up to you, but start with the receiver box, youíll need to route every wire In there for your servos and transmission servo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Racer
    Post some before-during-after pictures. I have the same model and other than adding weight, wasn't planning on upgrades, but your list seems intriguing...
    Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    Itís really up to you, but start with the receiver box, youíll need to route every wire In there for your servos and transmission servo

Very good point here...

There's more than one way to skin this cat. Above is how I would approach it, to me, this is clearing away all of the clutter and starting with as clean of slate as possible.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    I agree entirely with everyone, Greatscott provided some truly exceptional tips, as did everyone else such as Titanium94010 and everyone else as well. I am expecting the last of the upgrade kits to arrive in the next few days, with the exception of the 2.2 wheels and tires I ordered, they are shipping from China, and should arrive some time in the middle to end of the month. I also ordered a 9 tooth pinion as well, as I had read if you run larger tires, ie 2.2, using the 16 tooth that came with the bonus 1.9 rims and tires that were included with the Traxx, or even worse the 21 tooth that comes installed on the Traxx edition, that the motor gets really hot, so hopefully the 9 tooth will alleviate that issue as well.

Thank you all for the great advice, and I will absolutely be happy to snap some photos before, during, and after this upgrade. If I am to be honest, given I only just recently jumped into this hobby, there is a slight amount of intimidation on my part, in undertaking such a big all at once upgrade, but this is one of the reasons behind my getting started in the hobby to begin with, giving me something that I can do with my grandson that he loves (bought him a Redcat Everest 10 for Christmas which set this whole thing off), coupled with my love of tinkering and rebuilding, and I feel I have found the perfect hobby for me. Once I am more knowledgeable and efficient, I hope to be able to contribute assistance in the same way you folks have helped me. Really looking forward to that time coming.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BA0701 View Post
    Hello all! I have purchased several items to upgrade my TRX4 Traxx with. What I am hoping for, is that someone might be able to provide me with the preferred order in which to install them. My plan is, currently, to install them all at the same time, so I am just trying to figure out which order to install them in, so that I do not find myself repeating steps that could otherwise have been avoided. The following are the upgrades I have purchased so far:

1) Traxxas 2255 Servo
    2) Traxxas 2262 High Voltage BEC
    3) Traxxas 8195 Differential Lock
    4) Traxxas 8196 Two Speed Transmission
    5) Traxxas 8140R Long Arm Kit
    6) Traxxas 6507R TQi Transmitter set

Your assistance is appreciated far more than you know, and I thank you in advance for any help you might provide!
    Just found my list of upgrades! Saves me doing so much research when i should actually be working.
    Nate

Rustler 4x4, TRX-4 Traxx

RC poster
    I've only had my trx4 for a couple weeks now, I came with the selectable lockers and 2 speed transmission. The one thing that became clear to me almost instantly was that the steering servo was not very good. I recently put on larger tires and at this point the steering servo only works if it is on flat ground or moving. If there's almost any resistance I can't steer. I did upgrade to a metal horn. I was playing on the crawling course at the store after I bought it and within 5 minutes of owning it I stripped the plastic horn.

From what I have heard about the trx4 is you either have bought a new steering servo or you soon will be buying a new steering servo. In order to have many powerful you need BEC.

I would do the steering first. The trx4 is already top-heavy enough and even without lifting you can run larger tires. If you do have clearance issues I would shave the body before I did a lift.
    Last edited by MOguy; 03-04-2020 at 11:04 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The long arm kit raises the cg quite a bit. Iíd be cautious