RC Competitor

Is this bearing damaged?

I am taking apart the Slash for the 1st time to replace the center drive shaft and to clean up rust. I noticed a lot of play in this bearing....should it be this way? (see video)

Thanks!

Simple answer, yes. But, not only is it damaged, but you've got WAY too much rust. When's the last time you thoroughly cleaned your vehicle? Leaving it like that can cause damage.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    I had no idea it had this much rust 'hidden' until I went to change the spur gear last week. I ran this only a couple times in damp/wet weather, never did I expect that bit of moisture to cause this rust. I am in the middle of taking it all apart now to clean/replace as needed. Looks like I will be ordering this bearing as well now too!

RC Qualifier
    Not sure if you have already done this but you should replace the bearing adapter with the aluminum one if you haven't already.
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6893X

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Not sure if you have already done this but you should replace the bearing adapter with the aluminum one if you haven't already.
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6893X
    I have not....yet....I ordered one last Friday and it will be here in a couple days. I also ordered a whole new assembly as well. I will take the other one apart and clean it and have a spare. Thanks for the tip!

The true test is how freely does the bearing roll. With that, bearings are cheap, if it looks bad, it likely is, replace it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

King Headz makes a great slipper bearing adapter! It is made of a harder aluminum than the Traxxas one. The Traxxas bearing adapter is a quality part. Replace the bearing and adapter and be good
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    King Headz makes a great slipper bearing adapter! It is made of a harder aluminum than the Traxxas one. The Traxxas bearing adapter is a quality part. Replace the bearing and adapter and be good
    Yep and yep. Even with the aluminum hub, I seemed to go through bearings pretty quick on my stampede 4x4 vxl until I upgraded to the king heads plate that uses larger bearings. That was on 2S. Can't imagine how fast I'd burn through them on 3S like I run now.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

I love the King Headz motor mount ♡ It is a direct replacement. There is no modifications required to install it and it does an excellent job because of the larger bearing.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    any one have part number for the King Headz adapter? Does it come with the bearing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dusky View Post
    any one have part number for the King Headz adapter? Does it come with the bearing?
    https://www.kingheadz.com/product/tr...lemetry-mount/

Comes with 2 bearings if I remember right.

There's a standard and LCG one. The one I linked is the standard one I have in my stampede 4x4 vxl.
    Expert rigging at it's best!