Thread: slipper upgrade

RC Competitor

slipper upgrade

hey everyone,

after my last bashing session, which included being fully submerged in water, I snapped a front CVD. I thought I got her cleaned up pretty good.

Anyhow, new MIP X-dutys installed front and rear I noticed the threadlock would get a little messy and made a couple of the ball sockets at the carrier a little tight. Got them greased up and worked them around.

Anyhow, first test run I noticed it wasn't pulling the fronts off the ground. After a couple runs it was whining and that's when I realized my slipper was smoking. Long story short the MIPs need to be cleaned up, or there's a driveline bearing I didn't get cleaned up and lube after the last underwater expedition.

Long story short... do i get the RR 54t spur/slipper for $30, or the e-revo upgrade and a 3-pack of spurs for about the same price?

honestly I have no idea what my tooth count is right now. I just know I have a 18t pinion.

And yes I know that submerging the chassis is frowned upon. this is [error....was] a budget basher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revo slipper system with a T-Maxx Classic brake pad as the slipper pad.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Revo slipper system with a T-Maxx Classic brake pad as the slipper pad.
    When say Revo slipper, do you mean the nitro or electric revo. Iím wanting to do this for my rustler 4x4 for running 4s.

RC Competitor
    Traxxas 5351

Traxxas 5352R

RC Competitor
    Just because I'm inquisitive and curious by nature, how is the revo slipper a better upgrade than the RR metal spur/slipper

1/3 - 1/2 the price plus you'll need to purchase a hardened pinion; still using Traxxas products that can be found everywhere. The Revo slipper system is larger (diameter) than the Slash.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by aceniza View Post
    Just because I'm inquisitive and curious by nature, how is the revo slipper a better upgrade than the RR metal spur/slipper
    I donít think thereís a big difference in performance between the two slippers because they do the same job which is to slip. But I prefer the revo one because running a metal spur gear can cause a lot more stress on your diffs and slipper shaft. I used to run a hot racing steel spur but I stripped two diffs and snapped a slipper shaft so Iím back to using the stock plastic spur and no problems so far. Now, some people love their steel spurs. Itís more of a preference and I prefer not to strip diffs and slipper shafts but then again thatís just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtim29 View Post
    Traxxas 5351

Traxxas 5352R
    Thanks Tim!

Traxxas 5351

Traxxas 5352R
    Yep! Been running this for a few years with 1/8th scale power on 3s and 4s. I have the Tmaxx disc waiting in the wings if needed #4964
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Competitor
    I donít think thereís a big difference in performance between the two slippers because they do the same job which is to slip. But I prefer the revo one because running a metal spur gear can cause a lot more stress on your diffs and slipper shaft. I used to run a hot racing steel spur but I stripped two diffs and snapped a slipper shaft so Iím back to using the stock plastic spur and no problems so far. Now, some people love their steel spurs. Itís more of a preference and I prefer not to strip diffs and slipper shafts but then again thatís just me.
    Isnít the whole point of the slipper to act like a clutch or torque converter, and provide some slip to mitigate the stress in the drivetrain?

RC Competitor
    Isn’t the whole point of the slipper to act like a clutch or torque converter, and provide some slip to mitigate the stress in the drivetrain?

Yes. But, most guys like running it locked down or 1/4-1/2 of a turn loosens from locked down. I have done this with 1/2 turn loosened with both a steel spur and plastic spur. What I’ve noticed is well the steel one is as solid as a brick. I feel as if traxxas has a plastic one in there to absorb a little bit of shock since it is a softer material than steel. For speed runs I feel like a steel spur is better but when bashing, with the car bottoming out from jumps, I feel like the plastic spur does provide some shock absorption compared to the steel one.
    Last edited by Bigtim29; 02-03-2020 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Add more

RC Competitor
    I have a center diff in now. If I want to run the Revo slipper is there anything else I need?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyPotty View Post
    I have a center diff in now. If I want to run the Revo slipper is there anything else I need?
    Just the part numbers I listed above, keep the nut and spring from the stock slipper shaft, keep the slipper shaft and you should be good to go. I also recommend getting the blue aluminum slipper bearing adapter.

I have been running the aforementioned slipper clutch for a while now. I will say that I am extremely impressed with it. Not that I have ever had problems with my slipper. It just works so well and hasn't gotten hot. I'll probably build another
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Isnít the whole point of the slipper to act like a clutch or torque converter, and provide some slip to mitigate the stress in the drivetrain?

Have you considered a center diff, instead of the slipper? You might want to check out their newer center diff, TRA6780. I installed it in one of my Rustys several months ago, and it's been so great, I'll be installing one in the other Rusty, as well as my Sl4sh.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Have you considered a center diff, instead of the slipper? You might want to check out their newer center diff, TRA6780. I installed it in one of my Rustys several months ago, and it's been so great, I'll be installing one in the other Rusty, as well as my Sl4sh.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Id like to get one of those, but they are too spendy for my current project.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyPotty View Post
    Id like to get one of those, but they are too spendy for my current project.
    Sometimes, spending a little extra 'now' can save you from spending a 'lot' later. Another way of looking at it...and one of the primary ways I evaluate certain purchases, is this:

If I know I'm going to upgrade later, even though I'd prefer to not spend the additional money now, it's smarter to get it now, as I'd end up spending considerable more getting 'A' now, and then upgrading to 'B' later.

Now, if 'B' is way out of my budget, and I can only afford 'A', I'll get 'A'...but, if 'B' is only slightly above my budget, I'll figure out a way to afford 'B', even if it means waiting a little longer (such as my next paycheck). When I decided to get the Futaba 7PX, instead of the 4PM, I knew that the 7PX was a few hundred dollars more, but I decided that, in the end, I'd rather spend $600, than spend $900, ending up with the same thing. Even if I'd buggy the 4PM, bought the 7PXa few years later, and sold the 4PM, I'd have gotten less than half what I paid, so I'd still have "wasted" a couple hundred dollars.

Thankfully, the TRA6780 center diff is only $69, so it's not like buying an expensive Tx. Yes, the stock Sl4sh/Rustler slipper is only $20, and the E-Revo unit approx double that (when you calculate the parts needed), so "jumping up" to the 6780 center diff isn't all that much extra.

RC poster
    hey having trouble finding the bracket that the pads fit too for the e revo. I have the rest of the kit and this is the only missing piece. any help would be great

Did you get the 5351 kit? It comes with the hub (for the pads) and the pressure plate.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/5351

RC Racer
    Why is the RR GEN3 slipper not in the conversation, to heavy? It is heavy.
    Slash Ultimate 4x4, MMX-2200kv/Slash 4x4, MMX-2650

Quote Originally Posted by Bif24701 View Post
    Why is the RR GEN3 slipper not in the conversation, to heavy? It is heavy.
    It is heavy...but, it's also (virtually) bulletproof. That's what I was running in my first Rusty (for almost a year), before replacing it with the center diff. Truth is, I never had any problems with it. The primary reason I replaced it with the center diff was because I was converting the Rusty for track use.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    It is heavy...but, it's also (virtually) bulletproof. That's what I was running in my first Rusty (for almost a year), before replacing it with the center diff. Truth is, I never had any problems with it. The primary reason I replaced it with the center diff was because I was converting the Rusty for track use.

Makes sense.

I have the Robinson Racing GEN3 Slipper and love it, but my sons PEDE motor over heats. I‘ve upgraded my Slash 4x4 to a Castle 1512 2650kv and Mamba Monster X ESC. Now the heavy slipper doesn’t seem to matter and in fact I think it’s necessary with 1/8 power.
    Slash Ultimate 4x4, MMX-2200kv/Slash 4x4, MMX-2650

Quote Originally Posted by Bif24701 View Post
    Makes sense.

I have the Robinson Racing GEN3 Slipper and love it, but my sons PEDE motor over heats. IĎve upgraded my Slash 4x4 to a Castle 1512 2650kv and Mamba Monster X ESC. Now the heavy slipper doesnít seem to matter and in fact I think itís necessary with 1/8 power.
    The "heavy" didn't matter to me, either...I'm running a 4300kV HW.