RC poster

New Rustler 4x4 VXL overheat

Hello all,

Purchased a Rustler 4x4 VXL for a friend. We took it out, popped in some 3S LiPo and had some fun. After about 15 minutes, we noticed the ESC was flashing red. Opened the hood, removed the battery and felt the connector was hot. The ESC, motor, and wires connecting the ESC to the motor were also extremely hot.

Is this normal when running 3S? I can understand the ESC and motor needing fans but the wires felt like they would melt if we had kept going. The ambient temp was around 78 degrees, and it was after sundown.

Is this a warranty issue or a known problem?

Appreciate the help all.

RC poster
    I have had one for almost two months. Have not had an issue. Are you running it continuously hard for more than three minutes? If so, maybe ease up abit, and let it cool. On three s at least. If that doesn't help. I would call Traxxas.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Moodispaug View Post
    I have had one for almost two months. Have not had an issue. Are you running it continuously hard for more than three minutes? If so, maybe ease up abit, and let it cool. On three s at least. If that doesn't help. I would call Traxxas.
    Thanks for the response.

The park near our place is relatively small, so we couldn't pin the throttle with out running out of space real quick. So I do not feel like we were running it hard. Perhaps there is a bad connection causing too much resistance/heat build up if other do not experience similar problems with the stock car.

If anyone else has experiences I'd love to hear about them. Thanks!

RC Racer
    Check the gearing. Maybe it is geared too high for 3s...?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniElmo View Post
    Check the gearing. Maybe it is geared too high for 3s...?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    We did not install the included high-speed pinion, so it should be on the stock gearing (I believe stock is 11/54?). It seems odd that the stock gearing may be too high?

Thanks for the response!

RC Competitor
    Yes the traxxas VXL system will get hot on 3S lipo. Don't worry that you overheated it, the ESC shuts down and blinks red before any damage can happen.

The wires will get hot no matter what, ignore the wires. You have to take breaks and drive calmly every few minutes, or get a fan on ESC and another fan on the motor.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Houseofmoo View Post
    The park near our place is relatively small, so we couldn't pin the throttle with out running out of space real quick. So I do not feel like we were running it hard.
    Pinning the throttle and running flat-out does not make heat. Several hard starts and stops in succession make heat. A flat out run would have probably cooled your car down.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegan View Post
    Pinning the throttle and running flat-out does not make heat. Several hard starts and stops in succession make heat. A flat out run would have probably cooled your car down.
    Appreciate the information. I ended up buying an ESC and motor heasink/fan and the issue has not come up again thankfully.

RC Competitor
    The same thing happened to me and one of my buddies Rustler 4x4’s with the VXL ESC’s. I bought a Hobbywing EZ run Max10 ESC and the problem was solved for about $58 bucks. I can run mine all day on 3S now.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Houseofmoo View Post
    We did not install the included high-speed pinion, so it should be on the stock gearing (I believe stock is 11/54?). It seems odd that the stock gearing may be too high?

Thanks for the response!
    According the user manual, stock gearing is for nimh/2s lipo use only.

Mine is also running hot quickly (motor and esc) and much quicker since I run with the new sledgehammer tires, and there's a fan on my vxl.
    I orderd a 9 tooth pinion gear (still waiting on UPS....), enough for me as I'm only off road.
    I also think about replace the velineon 3500 by a Leopard V2 Series 3663 LBP3663/V2 3100kv instead of replacing the ESC as scoviman.
    I know this motor and for sure, he won't get hot as the velineon!
    The rustler will become a lot of more punchy with this combo! Or maybe I could keep the stock gearing with this new motor.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by scoviman View Post
    The same thing happened to me and one of my buddies Rustler 4x4’s with the VXL ESC’s. I bought a Hobbywing EZ run Max10 ESC and the problem was solved for about $58 bucks. I can run mine all day on 3S now.
    Did you bought the max10 60A or max10 sct 120A ?
    At this price it might be the 60A, right ?

RC poster
    if you're doing a lot of full throttle in open spaces then yes, it will get hot. there is a thermal protection in the esc that will cut off power to minimum so you can retrieve the car. you can add a fan to the motor and also consider getting the aluminum motor mounting plate which will help dissipate heat. i know some people who trim a 1/4" or so from the front of the body to allow for more more air flow.