RC poster

best upgrade parts for UDR?go with GPM or HOT RACING?

Hello!!!

Ive a pretty stock UDR and I plan to do some updates in the future.The first question is which manufacturer to go with?The first parts I orderderd is a GPM sway bar kit front and back I just wanted to see the quality of the GPM parts because they look really nice...
    The other question is which parts or upgrades make sense without going all out moneywise?...I also like the Vitavon parts but they are really expensive and hard to get in europe...

I also ordered 10mm upper rear links from traxxas and all traxxas parts for rear open diff but I dont now if I should change it now or test it more with stock diff.

thanks for your opinion

RC Racer
    There are several modes of though in regards to aluminum parts, and I'll share mine. Hopefully a few others who differ in thought will also chime in so you get a few different opinions.

Aluminum is heavy. It makes your truck heavier which increases wear on the drivetrain and suspension components. The more aluminum you add, the more you have to beef up the rest of the truck because...

Chasing weak points is a never ending race. There's always going to be a weak point, the question is where do you want it to be? I like my weak points to be on the outside of the vehicle, and the strong points more towards the center. The outermost parts are easier to get to, and replace. They're also usually cheaper to replace. If you beef up the outermost parts, they transfer crash forces to the center of the truck, which is usually harder to work on and parts are more expensive. I like plastic A-arms, plastic trailing arms, plastic bumpers... those usually take your hits, and are cheap and easy to replace.

However, I drive my UDR on 4S, and I'm pretty careful with it. If you're a 6S basher, then some aluminum upgrades might be necessary to save yourself from breaking the truck every battery.

In that regard, GPM doesn't have a good reputation. And if you're going to buy aluminum, you might as well buy right/buy once. Hot Racing is pretty reliable, as is RC4WD. They both make nice stuff.

As far as the rear diff, if you're having fun tinkering, then throw it in there. You'll keep tinkering and eventually put your spool back and find out which you like more. I like a locked rear because I only run off road on loose surfaces. But, changing your rear diff will have you opening up your axle housing, giving you the chance to seal it with some sealant prior to running it, which I highly recommend.

Most importantly, just do stuff with your truck, whether that's driving it, working on it or staring at it. That's where the fun is. Worrying about what's best will drive you insane - just keep doing stuff and you'll figure it out.

RC poster
    Hot Racing when your upgrading the front center shafts. Just did both trucks tonight. Nice units!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    There are several modes of though in regards to aluminum parts, and I'll share mine. Hopefully a few others who differ in thought will also chime in so you get a few different opinions.

Aluminum is heavy. It makes your truck heavier which increases wear on the drivetrain and suspension components. The more aluminum you add, the more you have to beef up the rest of the truck because...

Chasing weak points is a never ending race. There's always going to be a weak point, the question is where do you want it to be? I like my weak points to be on the outside of the vehicle, and the strong points more towards the center. The outermost parts are easier to get to, and replace. They're also usually cheaper to replace. If you beef up the outermost parts, they transfer crash forces to the center of the truck, which is usually harder to work on and parts are more expensive. I like plastic A-arms, plastic trailing arms, plastic bumpers... those usually take your hits, and are cheap and easy to replace.

However, I drive my UDR on 4S, and I'm pretty careful with it. If you're a 6S basher, then some aluminum upgrades might be necessary to save yourself from breaking the truck every battery.

In that regard, GPM doesn't have a good reputation. And if you're going to buy aluminum, you might as well buy right/buy once. Hot Racing is pretty reliable, as is RC4WD. They both make nice stuff.

As far as the rear diff, if you're having fun tinkering, then throw it in there. You'll keep tinkering and eventually put your spool back and find out which you like more. I like a locked rear because I only run off road on loose surfaces. But, changing your rear diff will have you opening up your axle housing, giving you the chance to seal it with some sealant prior to running it, which I highly recommend.

Most importantly, just do stuff with your truck, whether that's driving it, working on it or staring at it. That's where the fun is. Worrying about what's best will drive you insane - just keep doing stuff and you'll figure it out.
    +1 ... very good response. I'm not a 6S basher but most everything on mine has been replaced with HR stuff. I was tired of replacing things as often as I was.