RC Competitor

Battery management

So after reading through recent posts, it seems that people are becoming more comfortable with high rate charging ( > 1C). I'm curious what people are experiencing. What batteries do you run, how fast do you charge them, and have you had any issues?

Personally, I run SMC 3S 7200mAh charged at 7A each. Never had a problem, barely even get warm while charging.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I charge around 1.5C as my charger caps out at 100W/10A (4x100w/4x10A). I set it to 10A, then charge up a 5000mah 3S pack. It starts off around 8A because it hits the wattage ceiling.

On my second charger, it has more power, 2x200W/2x20A. I use it for parallel charging and I keep it at 15A into pairs of 3S packs, usually 6200mah packs on it. So it's more than 1C, but not a lot more.

With both chargers, I charge up 8 packs in under an hour, which is fast enough for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

I only run SMC batteries, 2, 3,4 and 6s. I charge them all at 2c for over a year now. No adverse side effects that I've seen so far. All my batteries seem healthy still.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

+1 I am the same as Nickruger.

Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    +1 I am the same as Nickruger.
    Me too, and thatís all Iíll admit, but my charger will do 1000W, as will some power supplies I have built.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    I only run SMC batteries, 2, 3,4 and 6s. I charge them all at 2c for over a year now. No adverse side effects that I've seen so far. All my batteries seem healthy still.

What are smc batteries rated for on charging? Nothing on the packs. My lectron pros say 2c charge but 3 out of 4 are dead now.. yet to charge the remaining one. I've done my one set of smc for the 2.0 at 2c. And in the field at 2.5c the other day. They were done before my Merv was ready for a swap. Didn't seem warm at all. Was nice to see them charge up in 20mins digging the icharger 406dou. Yay for having a charger able to do more than 40w channel. So far my 630w PC PSU hack has been working well for the 406duo.

I just spent more than I should have and awaiting my smc order on 2 sets of 4s for xmaxx, a set of 3s for the 2.0 and a set of 3s for Merv.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Danny Sullivan from SMC says, through my research to this question prior to this thread, you can charge his batteries up to 6c, however you are rolling the dice on longevity and health of the pack. For best combo of charging time/longevity of your packs he recommends sticking to 2 or 3c. Also, this is a little above my knowledge of charging, but I guess the higher charge rate, the less mah you put into the batteries.

Last edited by nickruger; 02-09-2020 at 11:53 AM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks to everyone for their input. This thread is proving very enlightening.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk