RC poster

Question Battery Connectors for Hobbywing Max 5 ESC?!

Brought home the Hobbywing Max 5 ESC with the 56113 motor this weekend.

Want to drop this into my XMAXX replacing the VXL-8s esc.

What do I use for battery connectors on the max 5? Came with 8awg wires and no connectors.

Called the traxxas line and they said they donít sell these connectors and Iím on my own. Disconcerting.

I assume you all know the work around here. Have a pair of 4s 6700mah traxxas ID batteries that Iíd like to keep using!

Quote Originally Posted by Rkpoolejr View Post
    Brought home the Hobbywing Max 5 ESC with the 56113 motor this weekend.

Want to drop this into my XMAXX replacing the VXL-8s esc.

What do I use for battery connectors on the max 5? Came with 8awg wires and no connectors.

Called the traxxas line and they said they donít sell these connectors and Iím on my own. Disconcerting.

I assume you all know the work around here. Have a pair of 4s 6700mah traxxas ID batteries that Iíd like to keep using!
    Have you checked out the AMASS XT-150ís? Very nice. I think they even have an anti-spark version as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks for that! Can I make those work with my batteries as they are?

Thanks for that! Can I make those work with my batteries as they are?
    I would think so. Do you solder?

RC poster
    I can solder! Just haven’t done this mod before. So I get the xt-150s, what else will I need?

RC Qualifier
    Why not get the Traxxas connectors to match your batteries? Here is the Traxxas connectors part# 3070x for the ESC side.

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas connector are not going to be good and I donít like the traxxas batteries
    Id use qs8 connectors

I can solder! Just havenít done this mod before. So I get the xt-150s, what else will I need?
    I highly recommend this article to anybody who is soldering, regardless of experience level. After reading all or most of it, you should know exactly what you do and do not need.

https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-e...ef-lesson.html

RC Qualifier
    The O.P. said he or she wants to use their ID batteries. Without getting adapters how can they use other style plugs and still use their Traxxas ID batteries?

If they have Traxxas id batteries. They will have to put trx plugs on the esc. Or put a different plug and then use or make a adapter. Better just to put trx plugs on the esc.

Adapters are not the best thing to use.

If op has a charger that only takes the trx id plugs. Definitely stuck putting Trx plugs on esc. Unless op wants to get new batteries and charger.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    The O.P. said he or she wants to use their ID batteries. Without getting adapters how can they use other style plugs and still use their Traxxas ID batteries?
    Good point! I somehow missed that.

RC poster
    So here’s the deal: went to my local hobby shop and laid out the VXL-8s ESC, the Hobbywing Max 5 with no connectors, and the traxxas ID 6700 mah 4s battery and asked: “how do I get the max 5 to connect with this battery”. His first suggestion was the 3070x adapters mentioned earlier - they will not work! Ultimately the answer is take the connectors from the VXL-8s and solder them onto the max 5. Traxxas purposely doesn’t make and will not sell these ESC adapter plugs for use with ID battery.

I’m intensely disappointed that this is the solution. But there ya go.

If I’m missing something here, I’m all ears. Traxxas themselves said they don’t and won’t supply this part. Brutal

They won't make it available since it's a patent plug, and a way to keep you on the trx electronics ect...

.here's what I would do. Cut the old female plugs from the trx esc. B leaving 2 to 3in or more of wire. With the plug.

Then I would splice in the female plugs into the new ecs. Don't forget to put some shrink wrap tubing on wires before soldeing the splice. There are a few methods to do the splice. Some neater than others.

Another way is to solder on female 6mm plugs(or whatever connectors you want.) to esc and male on the trx connector side. This way if you want to go to non trx batteries. And want to use a different plug like xt90 or xt150 you can just make a female plug end with whatever connectors you want and it will just plug right in. A little more work but a bit more future proof.

Also esc wires are a pita to solder. Due to them transferring the heat away from the end. Make sure you have a 60w or higher iron.

RC Qualifier
    Here is the reason why they are different.

ID VXL8s

ID VXL6s

Part 3070X

There is different ways to make what you are asking to work without adapters.

The first way is to use the 3070x part and cut off the shroud that I circled above.
    Another way is to get a set of what they call Legacy connectors part 3070. (work the same, but without the shroud). You can find these aftermarket connectors that are the same. (Ebay,Amazon,etc.) Search for TRX style plug. You need the male side for the ESC.

RC poster
    Thanks Grizzly!

RC Racer
    I’m running that exact combo on my xmaxx 30/35 gearing. The stock battery c rating isn’t enough. The traxxas batteries get to 120f real fast. Don’t waste your time with the traxxas batteries they aren’t good enough to handle that 56113!

RC poster
    What batteries would you recommend Clubin?

RC Qualifier
    Smc Racing
    Hobbystar
    Make sure if possible to get hard cases ones

RC Qualifier
    RC Dad - Great article I have that soldering setup change my life! Why did you recommend the XT150ís and not the XT90ís?

Appreciate your insight.
    Last edited by REVO-KN-EVIL; 02-04-2020 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REVO-KN-EVIL View Post
    RC Dad - Great article I have that soldering setup change my life! Why did you recommend the XT150ís and not the XT90ís?

Appreciate your insight.
    Glad you liked the article! I stumbled upon that when I was first getting into soldering, and was feeling VERY intimidated. After reading that, I felt a lot more confident, and have had nothing but strong connections ever since.

I recommended the XT150ís because I think the XT90ís are only rated to 90amps (maybe 120 peak?). Pretty sure the Max5 and that motor will pull more than the XT90ís can handle. I tend to err on the side of using a larger connector. Less risk of overheating or melting something. Iíve heard lots of stories of X-Maxxís going up in flames for one reason or another..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    Glad you liked the article! I stumbled upon that when I was first getting into soldering, and was feeling VERY intimidated. After reading that, I felt a lot more confident, and have had nothing but strong connections ever since.

I recommended the XT150’s because I think the XT90’s are only rated to 90amps (maybe 120 peak?). Pretty sure the Max5 and that motor will pull more than the XT90’s can handle. I tend to err on the side of using a larger connector. Less risk of overheating or melting something. I’ve heard lots of stories of X-Maxx’s going up in flames for one reason or another..

Got it! If you changed out the stock ESC connectors would you still use XT150’s?

Got it! If you changed out the stock ESC connectors would you still use XT150ís?
    I guess that depends. Are you planning to keep using those ID batteries?

Got it! If you changed out the stock ESC connectors would you still use XT150ís?
    My bad, I thought you were the OP. Yes, I would definitely use the XT150. I believe the anti-spark version is AS/AX150.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F274100393549

RC poster
    I have the exact same problem, and I'm still looking for an answer. I'm completely new to this hobby and bought a bunch of stuff with my X-Maxx thinking it would make it better. As I was looking for charging stations and batteries, the Internet told me Traxxas was the way to go... I now have two 4s 6700mh and the Dual EZ Peak Charger. The stock X-Maxx was going well, but I wanted to have more punch and speed. So I just bought the complete kit from The X-Maxx Store which include MAX5, 800KV motor, 30-35gears, motor mount, ESC mount, etc. Wonderful... Now, I don't want to change my chargers or my batteries as everything is brand new but I still need to connect a connector to my MAX5... @Clubin just said that Traxxas batteries are useless with this set up. Can I cry? I just don't know what to do....

Quote Originally Posted by Thom24 View Post
    I have the exact same problem, and I'm still looking for an answer. I'm completely new to this hobby and bought a bunch of stuff with my X-Maxx thinking it would make it better. As I was looking for charging stations and batteries, the Internet told me Traxxas was the way to go... I now have two 4s 6700mh and the Dual EZ Peak Charger. The stock X-Maxx was going well, but I wanted to have more punch and speed. So I just bought the complete kit from The X-Maxx Store which include MAX5, 800KV motor, 30-35gears, motor mount, ESC mount, etc. Wonderful... Now, I don't want to change my chargers or my batteries as everything is brand new but I still need to connect a connector to my MAX5... @Clubin just said that Traxxas batteries are useless with this set up. Can I cry? I just don't know what to do....
    May be able to find some old gen 1 plugs. Which should work.

go see my post #13 as this is what I would do. I'd use the bullet connectors method to have multiple battery end options.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    May be able to find some old gen 1 plugs. Which should work.

go see my post #13 as this is what I would do. I'd use the bullet connectors method to have multiple battery end options.

Not trying to bust stones or anything, but ESCís always have male connectors, while batteries (or power source) always have the female connector. It would really suck to do all that soldering and then having to correct it.

Not trying to bust stones or anything, but ESCís always have male connectors, while batteries (or power source) always have the female connector. It would really suck to do all that soldering and then having to correct it.

I realized I got genders mixed up on my initial post. Wish there was a way to edit posts on Tapatalk.

Max Esc -> 6mm bullet connectors -> old ecs trx male ends = back in biz to bash

I realized I got genders mixed up on my initial post. Wish there was a way to edit posts on Tapatalk.

Max Esc -> 6mm bullet connectors -> old ecs trx male ends = back in biz to bash

No kidding?! I think if you tap on the body of your text, a prompt shows up that allows you to edit. Iím using a different phone than you, so the rules may not apply.

No kidding?! I think if you tap on the body of your text, a prompt shows up that allows you to edit. Iím using a different phone than you, so the rules may not apply.

I can edit my posts from this morning but not my post from a few days ago. Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Itís like speak now or forever hold your peace!

RC Racer
    I tried what you want to do. The traxxas 6700 4s aren’t good enough to run the 56113. It will work but the c rating on the traxxas batteries isn’t good enough. Batteries get hot! You will need to pick up a couple batteries. I soldered ic5’s on mine. I have xt150 when I have time I’m converting to them. They don’t come apart. The ic5’s do.

RC poster
    You want to solder xt150 connectors on your Traxxas battery and ESC? Is that it? But Traxxas batteries are still gonna be hot aren’t they?

RC poster
    Alright, I think I know what you meant. You no longer use Traxxas batteries and you want to put XT150 connectors on them. That brings another question. What would be the best batteries and charger then?

RC Racer
    I charger 406
    Sky Rc power supply 50a
    Smc 8000 mah 4s

RC poster
    Thanks a lot! I think I will be using the SMC 9400mah 4s 75C. Now, time to sell my Traxxas batteries and charger. That kinda suck...! Lol

RC Racer
    I always run hard case.

RC poster
    this hobby cost a lot of $$$. Traxxas chargers are really easy to use and gave me full charge 4s battery within 30min. I'm going to pay 500$ CAD for a machine that I have no idea how to use. Plus, it seems that I need to buy connectors or something to plug this 406 duo into another thing that is going to charge my fancy battery... Is there like another way or this is the only way...? This is not really user friendly, is it?
    Last edited by Double G; 02-21-2020 at 08:15 PM. Reason: language

You may be able to charge non trx batteries in your existing charger. I don't have one but remember hearing that one can. Do this Ballance port is hidden somewhere. Think on the front
    Check your user manual.

Yes icharger set up can get spendy if not,. Building a power supply yourself from PC or server psu's. I made my own power supply for my 406dou. One was free since I had a old PC PSU laying around. Others was $30 from surplus store.

Yes this hobby can get expensive. I've dropped over 1k$ just in batteries for my 4 cars. As all are different sizes.

RC Qualifier
    You may be able to charge non trx batteries in your existing charger. I don't have one but remember hearing that one can. Do this Ballance port is hidden somewhere. Think on the front
    Check your user manual.

Yes icharger set up can get spendy if not,. Building a power supply yourself from PC or server psu's. I made my own power supply for my 406dou. One was free since I had a old PC PSU laying around. Others was $30 from surplus store.

Yes this hobby can get expensive. I've dropped over 1k$ just in batteries for my 4 cars. As all are different sizes.

If you have and “Traxxas Live Chargers” you can charge NON Traxxas Batteries.

First you have to down Load their Live Charger APP. The balance ports are concealed behind the Blue plastic Traxxas Plate in front of the charger. The app will let you select Battery and Cells and charge rate. Once completed a blue light on the charger will illuminate to tell you its ready to charge. Push the blue button and your good to go.
    I run the Traxxas Batteries and Power Hobby Batteries. I bought connector converters on Ebay to go from Traxxas to XT90’s.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XT90-XT-90-...53.m2749.l2649

Works fine.

RC poster
    I will probably be using my Traxxas charger, but how about XT150 connectors? The easiest way for me right now would be to reuse my Traxxas connectors from my stock ESC and solder it to my Max5. Preferably, I would like to install XT150 connectors... but then I wouldn't be able to use my Traxxas ID batteries...