RC poster

Glowplug failing in TRX 3.3

Have a Slayer Pro, great truck, with the trx 3.3 that I'm quite happy with.
    When I first got the truck I installed a pull start, as I've had problems with the EZ-start on other models, it worked for a long time, but one day the oneway bearing failed. When I got it apart it was locked onto the shaft, got it off, replaced with a new oneway bearing and pull start. Now back in the truck, but the tune is way of, adjusted again and again, but don't want to run right. I'll get the tune fair and run it 10-15 minutes and it'll stop and glowplug dead, yet it look like new. Yes I did go back to the traxxas recommend settings, it will run, but not that good then the glowplug die. I'm using traxxas glowplug and always run byron fuel.
    I thought it was an air leak, took the engine apart and sealed it up, didn't help.
    I did read allover that it's a bad tune when killing glowplug, but I never change the tune when I replaced the oneway bearing.
    Ok, what do I look for now?

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    When you say the glow plug dies yet looks like new, what part dies. Does the filament coil break or look stretched?
    When you removed the stuck one-way bearing could you have bent the shaft it was on? Did you take the backplate off the engine? (check that the o-ring is still good)

RC poster
    The coil is separate and seems to be almost at the top, don't look stretch. You look at it, it looks new nothing wrong, but no glow and tried with more than one igniter.
    I did not put that much force on it to get the oneway bearing off to bend the shaft.
    I did take off the back plate to check, looked ok and sealed up again.

RC poster
    Last edited by TJR; 02-03-2020 at 02:10 PM. Reason: brainfart

RC Qualifier
    How many glow plugs have you been through? I have gotten a bad one before.

RC poster
    +5 glowplugs so far. I tried so many main/low settings, even factory and still blow the glowplug, but not get any good run time for good tuning.

Any chance you can post a good photo of the glow plug end showing the coil?

I've had plugs last me years and others last minutes, but I don't usually "go through" them anymore, or ever really.

What kind of heater are you using? The ez-start or external glow warmer?
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Same here, some plugs last for ever, then others last less. Don't use any heater and hand held igniter.
    Don't have any pictures, but it look like new, coil sit just as new, no black or burnt.

RC Qualifier
    Over 5 plugs went bad since the one-way bearing replacement, and it hasn't run right since then. That should throw a red flag. Something happened when you replaced the bearing. The motor ran fine up until that point. What else did you touch? Did you crack the exhaust coupler? Damage a fuel line?

RC poster
    Just ordered new complete exhaust, fuel lines, fuel tank and 10 more glowplugs. Hope that will fix it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR View Post
    Just ordered new complete exhaust, fuel lines, fuel tank and 10 more glowplugs. Hope that will fix it.
    I hope you get it sorted out.

RC poster

That's what it looked like when you took the plug out? You didn't stick something in there and pull the coil out like that?

Are you putting the copper washer on the plug before installing it?

What percentage of nitro are you running?

Have you ever had the cooling head off?

RC Qualifier
    That's not even close to normal. Something is not right.

RC poster
    Fixed

Ordered a OS Engine 21TM.

RC Qualifier
    Fixed. Ordered a OS Engine 21TM.
    That's one way!

Well, hopefully the issue is the engine and not you, or your going to waste $300.

My 21TM took a while to break in, temps ran a bit high after about the first half gallon. The tune was a bit fussy until about 1.5 gallons, then it was fine all day with minimal adjustments and ran relatively cool while putting out decent power. The last time I ran it was at a grass bmx track and I ran nearly 1000cc's of fuel through the thing with very minimal adjustments needed.

Fixed

Ordered a OS Engine 21TM.
    Why would you spend all that money, you should have found out the problem with the stock motor.

RC Racer
    Your rear bearing is gone. Particles from this will make their way into the combustion chamber through the transfer ports and break the platinum coil.