RC Enthusiast

Upgrade from a TQi

Hey everyone, ive been debating lately on whether or not is justifyable to change the TQi.
    Im looking for somethi g a little more throttle precise since my TQi often lags response and we crawl quite some technical spots.
    What are your best suggestions not going all the way to the high end stuff?
    Thanks in advance

Spectrum dx5 rugged. That's my next upgrade at least. 5 channel so u can use it for crawlers to

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    If you're gonna upgrade.. save up to go all the way.. Futuba is the ultimate radio! If you can afford it..

The dx5 rugged is the same as the dx5c but a little more water tight. Both are a step up from the traxxas radios..

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGuido View Post
    If you're gonna upgrade.. save up to go all the way.. Futuba is the ultimate radio! If you can afford it..

The dx5 rugged is the same as the dx5c but a little more water tight. Both are a step up from the traxxas radios..

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
    Wat futaba

RC Enthusiast
    Flysky gt5 has 6 channels, that was another one I was looking at, the DX5 rughed is also on my list but it comes without receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Iggi View Post
    Flysky gt5 has 6 channels, that was another one I was looking at, the DX5 rughed is also on my list but it comes without receiver
    The orange one comes with out a Reciever. The black one comes with it

RC Enthusiast
    thx bud, I really like the looks of the orange jejee

RC Enthusiast
    I put a Flysky GT5 into my Defender and am very happy with the upgrade. Cheap transmitter but capable enough for anything I do with my truck. You will loose your cruise control, but I believe that happens no matter which transmitter you switch to. But very few people seem to use that feature.
    Reinhard

RC Competitor
    Eh you just use the throttle trim and boom instant cruise lol. How is that combo any lag or glitch issues?

RC Enthusiast
    I have not noticed any problems and I actually am using three GT5 controllers. The first one went into my wife's HG Humvee to replace the 16 channel monster that came with it. I liked it so much that I put one into my TRX4 Defender. Since then I bought a HPI Venture FJ Cruiser and almost immediately switched out the controller. There were no issues with the stock controllers in any of the trucks, I just like the ease of programming the settings and the extra features the controller has. Just setting the steering endpoints with the TQi after replacing the servo was so painful!
    Using throttle trim for cruise control is a good idea, never thought of that. Although it might become a problem if you need to stop quickly.
    Reinhard

RC Enthusiast
    Between the Flysky gt5 6channels and the Spektrum DX5, which one yud you.go for?

RC Enthusiast
    For my simple driving needs the DX5 would be even more of an overkill than the GT5 already is. The DX5 has even more features that I wouldn't use but had to pay for.
    I never held a DX5 in my (small) hand, but it looks to me more bulky than the small GT5. It just feels right in my hand and has more features than I need, I would stick with it.
    One thing that I miss on my GT5 are more switches to control channels. On my Defender I use the 2 knobs to control the diff lock servos. It works fine, but a simple switch would be easier to flick than rotating the knob between min and max position.
    Reinhard

RC Enthusiast
    Thx bud!! I ordered the gt5 already. Quick question, dont the gt5 has a 3 position switch?. If so couldnt you.use it for the diff lock?

RC Enthusiast
    I use that for my hi/low speed servo. Center position of switch now puts the transmission into neutral. Since the switch acts on the same channel I could only use it for either front or rear locker unless I use a Y cable to operate both lockers together from the same channel.
    Reinhard

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAlteFritz View Post
    I use that for my hi/low speed servo. Center position of switch now puts the transmission into neutral. Since the switch acts on the same channel I could only use it for either front or rear locker unless I use a Y cable to operate both lockers together from the same channel.
    Ill try to see with the Y connector, might check the TQI so see how it was done

RC poster
    so i have a question about receivers and rather than making a new post i searched this one in hopes you guys could help me

i'm going to be rebuilding my xmaxx i bought used, i've already tore it down to nothing and i'm going to clean it with new bearings and a few upgrades, anyway.. this used xmaxx did not come with a receiver or transmitter so thankfully i already have the dx5c smart for another car i have. with this in mind, im going to obviously buy a spektrum receiver so i can use the same transmitter HOWEVER - (this is my question) - is it possible to connect the stock motor temperature wires to the spektrum receiver and have it operate the same way? if so, how is this set up?

thanks guys!
    Last edited by whoflungpoo; 02-16-2020 at 06:05 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    My guess (really just a guess) is that Traxxas uses a multi-position switch in the TQi that simulates 2 separate switches to control 2 outputs from the receiver. That's why I simply decided to use the knobs on the GT5 to do the same. Since the GT5 is a 6 channel Tx/Rx system I had the free channel (push button in the handle) to use for the horn on my sound system, something I couldn't do with the TQi.

RC poster
    i just received my flysky noble
    With the new firmware and the ibus expander jou can have up to 8 channels.
    the moment it is installed i will let you know how it works , for the moment still waiting on the expander