Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tight slipper...

The weather was very nice yesterday so I decided to run a few tanks in the ol' Revo.

https://flic.kr/p/2ipadFs

https://flic.kr/p/2ipacfM

(not too shabby for one-handed driving, lol!)

Shortly after the back flips I heard the dreaded grinding from the transmission. I'm guessing the slipper was tight. It doesn't help things that I have had this truck for 13 years! This is the first stripped gear though!

I'm glad I have spares! I got it swapped out and back together within 30 minutes!
    Revo .18TM BL Rustler Stampede MERV HPI Sprint 2

Looks like you had fun. Makes me jealous, lol. I still have a while before it warms up here for me.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Looks like you had fun. Makes me jealous, lol. I still have a while before it warms up here for me.
    Yeah we have pretty mild and unpredictable winters down here. Last Saturday it barely got up to 43F and this week we are in the 70s. It's crazy, LOL!

I didn't have too many issues with my stock revo gears (after the FOC was installed) until I upgraded the engines.

Even the 21TM seemed to punish it more than it wanted. Either the main input 2-speed gear would strip or it would rip the pin out of the main output gear on the 2 speed shaft (I think that's the one, small shiny threaded pin). After having it out of the truck the 3rd time, I ordered full RRP steel for it and haven't had it open since... well, except once after the c-clip fell off the gear and rattled through the transmission. I was hoping the 21TM would just be a "mild" upgrade, but it seemed that the 3.3 was putting it right on the edge of too much already as the 21TM doesn't have stump pulling torque or anything. It's a step up in power for sure, but not obscenely so.

My other has an LRP28 in it with the input/2-speed as RRP steel but the primary output gears are the plastic ones from the slayer as that's what it started as. Can't believe they have never stripped on me.

I don't run them much anymore. Brushless is just so much easier!
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I didn't have too many issues with my stock revo gears (after the FOC was installed) until I upgraded the engines.

Even the 21TM seemed to punish it more than it wanted. Either the main input 2-speed gear would strip or it would rip the pin out of the main output gear on the 2 speed shaft (I think that's the one, small shiny threaded pin). After having it out of the truck the 3rd time, I ordered full RRP steel for it and haven't had it open since... well, except once after the c-clip fell off the gear and rattled through the transmission. I was hoping the 21TM would just be a "mild" upgrade, but it seemed that the 3.3 was putting it right on the edge of too much already as the 21TM doesn't have stump pulling torque or anything. It's a step up in power for sure, but not obscenely so.

My other has an LRP28 in it with the input/2-speed as RRP steel but the primary output gears are the plastic ones from the slayer as that's what it started as. Can't believe they have never stripped on me.

I don't run them much anymore. Brushless is just so much easier!
    I used to want to get a .21TM for it but until the .18TM breaks I'm gonna keep on truckin. I have definitely looked into getting the steel innards for the tranny but I literally have an entire spare transmission plus a few extra internals so I'm good for a while, LOL!

I also agree that "E word" is easier but sometimes you just need to hear the BRAAP and smell the nitro burn!

I have the 18TM as well. It has many gallons through it. Still performed better for me than the 3.3 that came in my truck or the new one I installed. I've never had the best luck with traxxas engines be it the 2.5, 2.5R or 3.3. They would run ok, tune was fiddly, but the power just wasn't that great in a MT. The 2.5R was plenty in a jato, but in a revo, just was a bit of a dud (my first revo). I put the 18TM in that one. It was a 2.5 chassis which was shorter and the 18TM did great in it. Wheelied whenever/wherever. That was before the vdk was around and a good engine bay brace was around. I ended up selling it because I got tired of the chassis bending under the engine and shocks not doing what I wanted. I kept the engine though.

The second I got came with a 2.5R in it as a slayer, it didn't blow my hair back. I converted it to a truck after a while, then a big block, THS BB pipe, 3.3 chassis, M2C engine bay brace, VDK kit, RRP steel input/2speed in the trans, all was good for a while, but I missed the smallblock life a bit.

Got another 3.3 revo and tried to like it, got a torque THS pipe, different clutch, vdk shocks, etc... just wasn't "it" for me. I threw the old tired 18TM in it and it really perked it up. Then decided on the 21TM, had trans issues, installed full RRP steel and it's been pretty solid ever since.

So now I have 2 nitro's that sit on the shelf while I play with my electrics, well 3 if I count my savage x.

I did run the 21TM one a bit last year at the grass bmx track I run at a lot now. It did pretty good.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...-the-bmx-track

I used to buy/sell stuff all the time and now I regret selling a lot of my old rigs. I had a 2wd Slash that I used to spec race. I had a custom crawler that I loved. I had an Axial Honcho trail truck (i kick myself all the time for selling that one).

I really want to get a nice 4wd electric since I already have two 2wd electrics. Maybe I can start saving up for a Maxx. A coworker has an old E-Maxx but he wont sell it to me, LOL!

Awesome videos!

After running a 6S brushless MT... even my big block revo seems "tame". lol

I started running electric for a couple reasons. I wanted something to run in the winter/snow/cold, nitro's aren't the most fun in the winter. I also needed something quieter as they put a huge dog park in right next to my local skate park. Nitro's end up with dog owners calling cops repeatedly. They don't tell me to leave... but I didn't want to push my luck. The dogs still freak out when I zip by the fence, but the cops aren't called nearly as often.