RC poster

Question VXL - how fast on 50% esc setting?

Planning to get a Rustler 4x4 for the kids as their first RC car. I have however a bunch of 3S batteries so Iím considering getting the VXL as it can take 3S batteries (an seems to be better in most aspects) but let the kids run it in 50% mode as they learn. Does anyone know how fast it is in 50% mode?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by erolwi View Post
    Planning to get a Rustler 4x4 for the kids as their first RC car. I have however a bunch of 3S batteries so Iím considering getting the VXL as it can take 3S batteries (an seems to be better in most aspects) but let the kids run it in 50% mode as they learn. Does anyone know how fast it is in 50% mode?
    I run at 30 and thatís plenty for my boys at the moment - still pretty rapid compared to anything theyíve had in the past & sometimes tweak it up a bit if itís safe to do so. This is where the app is so great for me being able to adjust on the fly. Even run it at 10 when we take the trx4 out - well for a short while anyway :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    My 9 year old with very little rc experience is able to drive my 4x4 VXL on training mode with no issues (3s battery). If you think it's still too fast you can get the Bluetooth module and drop it way down. My 2 year old was driving mine at 15% with no issues (I was steering though).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks for the good answers!

RC poster
    Thanks for the good answers!
    No probs youíll all love it Iím sure - giving me and my lads a new found hobby to do together.

Also Iíd recommend replacing the stock shock caps with aluminium ones or go the whole hog and upgrade your shocks (I went for GTRs, been great) - lost count of how many times the stock plastic shock caps popped off leaking oil everywhere.

And if youíre going to be doing any wet runs - make a couple of small holes opposite each other in the tyres just off centre - I used a small hss drill bit - so water can escape with a good blast on the throttle (I put mine upside down and stand well back!), otherwise the foam gets saturated and you have 4 sponges for wheels. Thatís my first 3 months of learns anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    The VXL cars are about the same speed as a brushed version when in training mode. The brushed cars are slower still.

My 6 year old is mostly good with a brushed car, so he either plays with his brushed Slash or one of my brushless cars if it's on training mode.

There are some instances where I put a brushed car into training mode for him, but those are getting less often as he learns.

RC Competitor
    You mention that you have 3S lipo at home. Keep in mind the Rustler 4x4 vxl has a short battery tray, 5.5 inches. Common size lipos (like from Slash) wont fit, you have to get shorty lipos. Measure your batts before you unbox with your son