Thread: revo 2.5 shocks

RC Racer

revo 2.5 shocks

I have an old 2004-2005 nitro Revo that I recently bought for $75 and the original owner probably put less than a half gallon through it. After $30 for missing parts and an upgrade to a 3.3 engine I basically had a brand new Revo 3.3 with a short chassis and smaller wheels.

Anyway, the shocks have no oil in them and they need rebuilt but I don't know what shocks it has on it. I do know that the shaft is not titanium though. I have considered upgrading to the GTR shocks but that may be dumb if it already has them. I have found set of 4 GTR shocks I can buy for $25 which may be cheaper than a rebuild and titanium shafts even if it does have an older model of the GTR shock.

I'm also wondering what weight of oil I should use. I'm only a basher and from what I have read I should use anything from at 50-80wt oil. Any thoughts or insights would be great.

GTR didn't come until later so you have the regular aluminum body shocks. Make sure you get the GTR for the Revo/Slayer and not for the Slash.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Ok thanks. Would the GTR shocks be a good upgrade as opposed to just rebuilding my shocks? Finally what weight of oil would good for bashing?

RC Qualifier
    I really like the GTR hard-anodized shocks, with a VDK (Variable Dampening Kit). Super smooth. My set-up: VDK kit #2 piston 50wt oil silver front, blue rear-springs LT rockers.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I really like the GTR hard-anodized shocks, with a VDK (Variable Dampening Kit). Super smooth. My set-up: VDK kit #2 piston 50wt oil silver front, blue rear-springs LT rockers.
    I run a similar setup but with P2 rockers/rods and 60wt. Once you get up over 70wt with vdk #2, the pistons in the shocks snap/buckle.

I run the same on my ERBEv2 but with RC Raven springs. I can't recall what oil I run on my nitro's. I know my big block has purple springs in the rear, blue on the front. On my 21TM I have blue on the rear, silver front.

All 3 have VTK #2 GTR titanium shaft/hard anno coated bodies.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Racer
    ok thanks! I'll look into this.