RC poster

X maxx upragdes and tools

Hey guys new to the forum, I have ordered an x maxx which unfortunately won’t be in the country till end of feb as every shop has sold out, just in the process of ordering spares and tools for it was hoping you guys could tell me if I’ve missed anything.

Currently have

Proline brute body with all mounting hardware
    2085x servo
    Rpm hub carriers
    Rpm hinge pins
    Rpm shock shaft guards
    Rpm roof skid bars
    Bluetooth link

Have I missed anything that might need to be replaced?

Looking at getting mip tools but not 100% sure on all the sizes I need 1.5-3mm hex drivers and what size nut drivers are needed?
    Last edited by Snowy; 02-07-2020 at 10:13 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    17mm for the wheels. I think it comes with that. 1.5-2.5 mip gear is the best. You wont need a hinge pin set unless you go with their arms. I broke my rear bumper mount easily. I went with rpm front and rear bumper mounts. Make sure youre running the latest esc firmware. Be ready to warranty/replace the esc, as they have a high failure rate. Get a IR temp gun if you dont have one already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Because I live in NZ and spares aren’t readily available all the time I thought I’d just buy the pins in case I do decided to put rpm arms on

RC Racer
    Max6 esc if you don't want to worry about problems. My esc lasted about 2.5 years on 6s but had a stutter until the day it died. Sometimes the stutter caused bad wrecks that could have easily broke something else. Max 6 and 2085x are the only things I have upgraded. Nothing else has broke and i do some big jumps but only run smc7200 3s.

RC poster
    Knowing my luck I’ll probably get a dud one out of the box so might order a max 6 or 5

RC Qualifier
    Dont get a max5 unless you plan on upgrading the motor and gearing two

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have a Max 5. Its not a drop in swap. Well worth it if you have a larger motor as OverPowered said.

RC poster
    What size nut drivers do I need to have on hand for the xmaxx? Might just hold off on the esc until I decide if I want to do the motor as well

RC Qualifier
    I like the neewer titanium coated ones on amazon they hold up well and they are super cheap

RC poster
    I’m assuming your meaning the nut drivers? Do I need 4-8mm or do I only need one or two sorry for all the questions coming from a 4x4 rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Im pretty sure the rustler uses a 7mm axle hex so youd need that but Im not super familiar with the rustler so u dont know what the slipper hex size is

RC poster
    Have just ordered myself a mip metric hex set and jut driver set, anything else you guys can think I’ll need?

RC Qualifier
    Guessing you have some batteries and a charger as well ordered, or able to get locally? I would recommend 2 sets (4 batteries) of largest mha you can get. Make sure they say they will fit in xmaxx as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I have a whole host of tools i use for my Rc cars. But all can be found at your local hardware store, or auto parts store. Like needle nose plyers, wire snips. And will only need them as the need arises.

I also use a tool tote with wheels I keep all my Rc stuff in. Then small bins inside for each RC cars spares, tools ect. I can also strap my car onto the top to wheel everything out to where I'm playing at.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Guessing you have some batteries and a charger as well ordered, or able to get locally? I would recommend 2 sets (4 batteries) of largest mha you can get. Make sure they say they will fit in xmaxx as well.

Unfortunately pretty limited to what you can buy from local stores so purchased the traxxas Id live 200amp charger and was going to run a 6s set of 8400 mha and an 8s set can always sell it if something better turns up

Ive got a whole heap of normal tools etc just wanted the mip drivers, definitely need to get some sort of bag to carry tools and parts when I take it out

RC Qualifier
    Most people like the smc batteries. From smc-racing.com. But don't think they can ship to you.

My tool box is from husky. Not sure what you may have in your area. Handle slides into the box for storage / transportation. A Milwaukee pack out box would be cool but $$$

RC poster
    The joys of living in a small country. I’m sure I’ll be able to find a tool box similar to that or something that will work, have just emailed a company in Australia to see if they will send them to me.

Found out today from my LHS that my car might not make it till beginning of March slightly frustrating now all my parts have pretty much turned up

Stay stock as much as u can. The truck runs great out of the box.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    Don’t get a max5 unless you plan on upgrading the motor and gearing two

Why would you say not to upgrade to Max5 unless you upgrade motor and gearing? Just beacuse the Max6 delivers enough or are there other downsides to the stock motor/gearing when used with a Max5?

Reason I am asking is when my ESC fails, I will more than likely only replace the ESC then, with a possible motor upgrade and gearing to follow. So upgrading to a Max6 would limit me in that regard, which is why I would probably opt for the Max5 as it opens up more options.
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Revo 3.3
    X-Maxx 8S

RC Competitor
    It opens more options as well as puts up road blocks. It’s BIG! You will need a receiver box and esc mounting plate to do it correctly. I’ve seen lots of pix of some pretty ugly max 5 installs. Don’t put in a max 5 until you are ready for gearing motor mount and a motor. I installed the hobbywing max 5 and 56113. 30/35 gearing.

RC poster
    I just bought a new XMAXX below is what I purchased for day 1. Love it.. I think your better going ALL Traxxas as much as you can this way your covered with their warranty.

Traxxas "Battery/charger completer pack (includes #2973 Dual iD charger (1), #2890X 6700mAh 14.8V 4-cell 25C LiPo battery (2)), Model #: 2997
    Battery Specs: L 178mm, H 50.5mm, W 45mm"
    Traxxas 2968X: LiPo cell voltage checker/balancer (includes #2938X adapter for Traxxas iD batteries). Model: 2968X
    Traxxas Tqi Top Qualifier Model# 6511
    Traxxas "TQi Telemetry Expander 2.0 and GPS Module 2.0 - Model# 6553X"
    Traxxas Phone mount, transmitter (fits TQi and Aton transmitters), Model# 6532
    Traxxas High Intensity LED Light Kit for X-Maxx, X-MAXX LED LIGHT KIT (#7885)
    Traxxas Metal Gear, Ball Bearing Servo, Model# 2085X
    Traxxas Battery charge indicators (green (4), blue (4), grey (4)), Model: #2943
    Traxxas 7-Piece Metric Hex and Nut Driver Essentials Set, Model# 8712
    RPM "Roof Skid Rails for the Taxes X-Maxx
    Quick Notes:
    reduces roof damage from inverted slides
    protects that $75 $110* X-Maxx body
    under body support plates for added pull-through protection
    SKU: 80312"
    RPM Body Savers for the Traxxas X-Maxx, SKU: 80552
    RPM "Oversized Rear Axle Carriers for the Taxes X-Maxx
    Quick Notes:
    replaces stock Taxes #7752
    includes two oversized inner rear bearings (20x32x7mm)
    outer bearings not included (stock bearings are used)
    sold in pairs (1 left and 1 right)
    SKU: 81732"
    RPM "Replacement Bearings for RPM X-Maxx Oversized Axle Carriers
    Quick Notes:
    not compatible with stock Traxxas axle carriers
    SKU: 81670"
    RPM "Threaded Hinge Pins for the Traxxas X-Maxx
    Quick Notes:
    manufactured from stainless steel.
    fits* stock Traxxas A-arms as well as RPM #82352, #82354 & #82355
    can be used in place of CEN #GS025*
    works in the outer, lower a-arm hinge pin location only
    SKU: 70510"
    RPM "Upper & Lower A-arms for the Traxxas X-Maxx
    Quick Notes:
    stronger and lighter than stock
    sold with 1 upper and 1 lower a-arm in each package
    4 packages needed per vehicle
    replaces the upper a-arm from stock Traxxas #7729
    replaces the lower a-arm from stock Traxxas #7730 & #7731
    SKU: 8235_main"
    Proline Pre-Cut Brute Bash Armor Body (White) - SKU: 3513-17
    Traxxas Body reinforcement set (fits #7711 body), Model # 7710
    Traxxas Tailgate protector/ 3x8mm flat-head screw (4), Model #7712
    Traxxas Body support, rear/ 3x15mm CS (2) / 3x15mm flat-head machine (2) (fits X-Maxx), Model: 7713
    Traxxas "Body mounts, front & rear/3x15mm BCS (1)/ 3x12mm shoulder screw 7754X (2)/ 3x10mm flat-head machine screw (6)/ 3x15mm flat-head machine 7755
    Drive cup (1)/ 3x8mm CS (use only with #7750X driveshaft) screw (2), Model #7715"
    BAT-SAFE BAT-SAFE LIPO BATTERY CHARGING SAFETY BOX, SKU: BAT-SAFE
    Bag of Play Sand
    Bucket for Sand
    Smoke Detector

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    Hey guys new to the forum, I have ordered an x maxx which unfortunately wont be in the country till end of feb as every shop has sold out, just in the process of ordering spares and tools for it was hoping you guys could tell me if Ive missed anything.

Currently have

Proline brute body with all mounting hardware
    2085x servo
    Rpm hub carriers
    Rpm hinge pins
    Rpm shock shaft guards
    Rpm roof skid bars
    Bluetooth link

Have I missed anything that might need to be replaced?

Looking at getting mip tools but not 100% sure on all the sizes I need 1.5-3mm hex drivers and what size nut drivers are needed?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubin View Post
    It opens more options as well as puts up road blocks. Its BIG! You will need a receiver box and esc mounting plate to do it correctly. Ive seen lots of pix of some pretty ugly max 5 installs. Dont put in a max 5 until you are ready for gearing motor mount and a motor. I installed the hobbywing max 5 and 56113. 30/35 gearing.
    For the love of god, dont just zip it to the rails. I detail my install in my build thread.

RC Competitor
    Lol. Yep. That’s what I’ve seen. Lol. Zip tied.
    Not the way I roll.

RC Enthusiast
    For bashing would you recommend the 30/35 gearing?
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Revo 3.3
    X-Maxx 8S

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeillZA View Post
    What motor. Im pretty sure hes in the 800kv big block arena. Stock. no way.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NeillZA View Post
    Yes that’s with a max 5 and 56113 hobbywing. It’s fun for bashing! It will do a standing backflip. Lol.

RC poster
    What spring rate/shock oil do you guys run?

RC Qualifier
    I like mine stiff
    70 front
    100 rear
    Preset all the way down