RC poster

2wd trans destroyed

What would cause the gears on the inside of the transmission to strip?

Running a 2650kv motor, 56/10 gearing on 3S. Nothing ridiculous. 2.8" wheels with 4.7" tires (monster slash). Was driving this morning and heard grinding when applying throttle. Thought maybe my pinion gear grub screw worked itself loose, but it was fine. Kept digging and finally opened the trans.

The gear on the slipper input shaft is completely stripped, and the next gear over is missing several teeth. Not sure how this would happen. Truck is used for light bashing, sometimes in wet/mud/snow.

RC Qualifier
    How much grease is left inside the tranny?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    How much grease is left inside the tranny?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    It is still well greased.

RC Racer
    3s battery did it with the slipper clutch too tight..it happened to mine all the time until I got the robinson racing hardened idler gear. I think the gearbox might have enough flex under the right amount of torque to allow the slipper shaft to dis align the gears and that destroys them. The bigger tires dont help the cause either IMO, but for all I know I could be wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcfyre View Post

Running a 2650kv motor, 56/10 gearing on 3S. Nothing ridiculous. 2.8" wheels with 4.7" tires (monster slash). Was driving this morning and heard grinding when applying throttle. Thought maybe my pinion gear grub screw worked itself loose, but it was fine. Kept digging and finally opened the trans.

The gear on the slipper input shaft is completely stripped, and the next gear over is missing several teeth. Not sure how this would happen. Truck is used for light bashing, sometimes in wet/mud/snow.
    If youíre running a setup like that, you might want to look at the FLM super tranny. If you use that with the Robinson racing idler, STRC tip shaft, associated VTS slipper, etc. I think youíll find itís a more durable setup.

http://www.fastlanemachine.net/prodd...prod=FLM20200G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same thing happen in two Rustler transmissions before switching to this setup. Itís a bit pricey, but it hasnít failed us yet, and it definitely gets run hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-14-2020 at 02:03 AM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    Thank you for the tip, RC dad. I'll check it out.

RC Qualifier
    yep , i have one and love it , no more diff issues , i run 1/8 motors and 4s no problems , i would get the traxxas rustler 4x4 driveshafts they work great 6852A i think

RC poster
    I have MIP driveshafts on it. I feel like those are pretty much bulletproof.

RC Champion
    Have broken every mip axle ever tried
    Hot Racing axles not much difference
    Please
    Name an axle that can handle the thrashing a Maxx driver throws down
    fabricator

If you are talking the Castle 1512 2650kv motor that is for 8lb-9lb 1/8th scale 4x4 rigs. Then yes that is ridiculous grade power for a 2wd 5lb rig. If you also still have 48p gears and stock idler then expect more of the same problems to happen.

RC Qualifier
    get the flm super trans and forget it , i love mine , no more sun gears destroyed, it is alot of cash

RC Qualifier
    I have MIP driveshafts on it. I feel like those are pretty much bulletproof.
    Yes, but heavy. Thatís a lot of rotating mass with the MT sized tires. Now add high torque motor...
    Like Zelorda said ďIf you also still have 48p gears and stock idler then expect more of the same problems to happen.Ē

The only motor Iíve ever killed quickly was a build I did with MIPs and MT tires.
    I run my rigs hard. I get away with mostly stock parts, as I use stock power.
    Lightweight tires in the 4Ē range and plastic driveshafts are also key for me. I never kill top shafts or idlers.
    If you want push the limits of the design of your rig, be prepared to spend...

PS youíll want to spend the money for a new trans case while youíre getting your new gears.
    Either the bearing ports are stretched or it deformed enough to let the gears skip...

RC Qualifier
    well put , adding big tires and lots of grip causes issues. i gave up on my 2.2 badlands , almost 5” , heavy and lots of grip, i broke many sun gears , my favorite tires and proline sandpaws, small and light and last forever

RC Racer
    Just wondering if anyone has considered driving style as a contributing factor. Coming at this from a racing perspective where you’re building for light weight, rather than durability, driving style is huge. EG: Get out of the throttle before you land. It takes huge loads off of the driveline components. You can pin it once you’re wheels down. Other stuff like avoiding situations where one tire is normal and the other is a pizza cutter are important. When that ballooned tire touches down, it’s going to shock load every gear in the whole rear end hard.

I’m not saying the other guys are wrong. I’m just offering ideas that don’t involve spending a bunch of money.