RC poster

Question Reviving my old 2.5 T-Maxx, electronic upgrade recommendations?

As title says, took my old 2.5 Tmaxx out for the first time in about 5 years. Always had issues and annoyed me but I've had time to cool off and try again.

Completely rebuilt the engine and carb and got rid of the terrible EZ-start for a traditional pull, runs well now I just need to control it reliably.

I have the TQ3 controller and 2215 with my 27MHz red crystals. I see a lot of people pushing for the 2.4GHz as it can resolve a lot of glitches/increase range. I'm interested, what do I need to do this?

Noted my servos are all super weak (single 2055 with 2 2018s), honestly can't tell if they're just bad or if the communication sucks. Are the 645MGs still the go-to? I can get 3 new 2055s for the same price as a single Hitec, wondering if it's really worth the extra $$$.

Lastly, batteries. Sick of pulling the casing off to replace the AAs. Looking at a converting to 6V hump pack, with a new battery case and charger port in the OEM location. Is there a kit for this or do I have to find the Traxxas numbers individually? Was going to follow this guide as it looks pretty applicable.

Open to any and all other suggestions, this is just what I've come up with after returning after my hiatus. You guys know better than I.

2.4 rx/tx - go with what you want. I don't mind the stock system and it works for me.

Rechargeable hump pack. Go with the Traxxas or another brand that has the same physical size. I have a hump and flat pack both from another brand and 1600mah.

You can get the pack case and install the T-Maxx on/off switch which will have the charge port attached.

Hitec's are good but not popular anymore and the one referenced really doesn't have much more power than the Traxxas 2075. I have a Promodeler on my 3.3 Revo which has good torque and pulls less power than most out there but the high quality comes at a little steeper price. Though it centers every time and never hiccups. I bought a cheap Amazon servo that allegedly is faster and stronger than stock and have it installed on my Slash 4x4 - jury is still out. Many others purchase those Amazon servos and feel that for the price they cannot be beat.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    2.4 rx/tx - go with what you want. I don't mind the stock system and it works for me.

Rechargeable hump pack. Go with the Traxxas or another brand that has the same physical size. I have a hump and flat pack both from another brand and 1600mah.

You can get the pack case and install the T-Maxx on/off switch which will have the charge port attached.

Hitec's are good but not popular anymore and the one referenced really doesn't have much more power than the Traxxas 2075. I have a Promodeler on my 3.3 Revo which has good torque and pulls less power than most out there but the high quality comes at a little steeper price. Though it centers every time and never hiccups. I bought a cheap Amazon servo that allegedly is faster and stronger than stock and have it installed on my Slash 4x4 - jury is still out. Many others purchase those Amazon servos and feel that for the price they cannot be beat.
    After researching for a while I might just stick with the analog receiver for the time being. Feel like the money can be spent wiser elsewhere.

That being said, I bought a new battery box, hump pack, charger and harness to get rid of the onboard AAs for like $30.

I also went ahead and ordered a single 645MG for steering for $25. Was the only reputable servo I could find, and sticking to a <$30 price point I didn't want to go with the Traxxas digital servos or spring for something in the $70 range. Figure I'll swap the working 2055 on it now to throttle and that 2018 to forward/reverse which is currently completely dead. I'll bash on it and replace the rest eventually. If you have Amazon servo recommendations I'll check them out, always hesitant to trust reviews.