RC poster

15% Sig Aero Fuel?

Hi All,

I am in south Texas and fuel is scarce. I have 4 gallons of 15% SIG Champion Aero fuel. Iíve tried running some in our Revo 3.3. Tuning has been a bit of a nightmare. Was running Torco 30% but have used it all. I reset needles to stock factory and itís been finicky. Will I ever get a good tune using the 15% SIG Champion Aero fuel? Do I need to consider a different glow plug?

Any advice anyone can provide or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

-Adam

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam04 View Post
    ...I have 4 gallons of 15% SIG Champion Aero fuel. Iíve tried running some in our Revo 3.3. Tuning has been a bit of a nightmare. Was running Torco 30% but have used it all. I reset needles to stock factory and itís been finicky. Will I ever get a good tune using the 15% SIG Champion Aero fuel? Do I need to consider a different glow plug?

Any advice anyone can provide or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!
    I've never tried that fuel, but have had issues when trying a different fuel. I believe airplane fuel has more oil content so you might never get it to run as good as you did with the car/truck fuel.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I've never tried that fuel, but have had issues when trying a different fuel. I believe airplane fuel has more oil content so you might never get it to run as good as you did with the car/truck fuel.
    I spent 4 hrs trying to get this thing to run on 15% aero, it wasnít having it. Put some older 30% car we had and it ran much better! So looks like Iíll have to stick with 30% car.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam04 View Post
    I spent 4 hrs trying to get this thing to run on 15% aero, it wasnít having it. Put some older 30% car we had and it ran much better! So looks like Iíll have to stick with 30% car.
    If you really want to run 15% nitro you would likely need to use a a glow plug as hot as an lc3 and/or use a higher compression gasket.
    The trx 3.3 wasn't designed to run lower than 20% nitro because of a lower compression ratio but it can be made to.
    Your final option is like you said, you could just stick with 20+ percent nitro.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob2.0 View Post
    ...The trx 3.3 wasn't designed to run lower than 20% nitro because of a lower compression ratio but it can be made to...
    Not true. Traxxas offered 10%,20%,and 33% fuels for all their engines. Even in the owners manuals it says 10%,20%,33%, plus it states that "10% also provides greater latitude with the needle settings for easier tuning." Here is the Traxxas Top Fuel page: traxxas.com/products/overview

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Not true. Traxxas offered 10%,20%,and 33% fuels for all their engines. Even in the owners manuals it says 10%,20%,33%, plus it states that "10% also provides greater latitude with the needle settings for easier tuning." Here is the Traxxas Top Fuel page: traxxas.com/products/overview
    interesting, never seen the 10%. I wonder if it has something to do with the oil content, but I do know there are some brands that now make a "basher fuel" that has around 18% oil so that might not be it either.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob2.0 View Post
    interesting, never seen the 10%. I wonder if it has something to do with the oil content, but I do know there are some brands that now make a "basher fuel" that has around 18% oil so that might not be it either.
    Airplane and Marine fuel is different than land fuel for RC's. Airplanes and boat engines run at a constant rpm (mostly full) and land vehicles run at varying rpm's. So the fuel is formulated different for that reason. There is also a difference with how much castor and synthetic oil there is. When it says 18% oil, how much of each?

RC Racer
    I looked it up. Some places say 20% oil some say 16% so I'm guessing that it changed at some point. As oil content goes it has both caster and synthetic but in the material data safety sheet it said that percentages of each are trade secret, and I can't find info anywhere else.