RC poster

Critical error message - looking for upgrade advice on ESC and motor

Hi all,

Help please! My X Maxx (8s) is displaying the critical error lights on the ESC. As I bought the truck used I know I cannot go to Traxxas directly to fix the esc or motor (whichever has the fault). Therefore i think it could be the right time to replace either the esc or the motor, or both, to upgrade the truck. My truck is a stock 8s with the only exception being 25/46 gearing and proline badlands. I use it purely for bashing and jumping with the odd speed run thrown in. It will mainly be bashing with my friends Kraton 8s so I want it to be better than that ideally!

Please could I ask the following?

1) which motor and esc is a real upgrade for my truck (outperform kraton 8s)
    2) would the new motor/esc fit straight into the existing fittings on the truck?
    3) are there any other upgrades you guys would recommend?

Thanks all!

RC Qualifier
    There’s no drop in motor that fits the stock mounts you have to get a upgraded motor mount too and gearing
    For the esc the max6 drops in with the stock motor but will not outperform the kraton
    To use a max5 you must get a esc plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    That 25/46 gearing killed something. Those aren’t bashing gears.

Go back to stock gearing, and use the stock esc and motor, it will solve a lot of headaches.

RC Enthusiast
    I think that the stock motor is plenty fast and strong for the xmaxx 8s. Max 6sc, which drops right in would be my choice. Tried mine today for the first time and it's way better than the stock ESC.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmaxx 8s newb View Post
    I think that the stock motor is plenty fast and strong for the xmaxx 8s. Max 6sc, which drops right in would be my choice. Tried mine today for the first time and it's way better than the stock ESC.
    What do you mean by way better ?

RC Champion
    The punch (take off) is very noticeable difference between the vxl8s and a max6
    fabricator

RC Qualifier
    Max 6 ESC and stock motor is the best way forward IMO. I ruined my Xmaxx (and bank account) by going with a Max 5 and a larger motor