Lowering the body

Has anyone done this? I get why it comes the way it does, itís meant to look like a monster truck. But Iíd like to lower the body a bit. Would I need to trim the body any for wheel clearance or would it be fine to lower it about 2 inches. Iím running badlands mx28s on all 4 corners. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Has anyone done this? I get why it comes the way it does, itís meant to look like a monster truck. But Iíd like to lower the body a bit. Would I need to trim the body any for wheel clearance or would it be fine to lower it about 2 inches. Iím running badlands mx28s on all 4 corners. Thanks!

I lowered mine. See pics.

I switched the body mounts out for the short metal battery compartment studs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight295 View Post

That looks much better

Yeah that does look really good. Thatís about how low I want to put the body on my stampede. Now which battery studs did you use, same size one that hold the battery in on the stampede?

RC poster
    Yeah that does look really good. Thatís about how low I want to put the body on my stampede. Now which battery studs did you use, same size one that hold the battery in on the stampede?

I'm 90% sure it was these.

Then you'll need the nuts that attach underneath to hold them on. I'm not sure of the size. I'll try to look it up tomorrow.

Thanks mate! Iíll go grab one off my rustler and fiddle around with it and see if I have a nut thatíll fit.

Proline makes a kit to lower it, and jc concepts

RC poster
    I'm 90% sure it was these.

Then you'll need the nuts that attach underneath to hold them on. I'm not sure of the size. I'll try to look it up tomorrow.

Thanks mate! Iíll go grab one off my rustler and fiddle around with it and see if I have a nut thatíll fit.

Traxxas #2745 is the part # for the nuts.

I lowered three Stampedes. Two unassembled kits and 2wd.

RC Qualifier
    JConcepts makes a set of lowering posts that provide some support for the body instead of immediately tearing the bed part to shreds.
    2.0, Summit, Slash (4x4), 'Pede 4x4, MERV

RC Racer
    Hi, I just got back into this hobby after almost 8 years because of the WuFlu quarantine...
    I am probably going to open a "back on the forum" thread later with some assorted thoughts but meanwhile I wanted to answer you.

I lowered the body of my Stampede VXL 2WD quite a bit, back in the day, cutting the stock body mounts. You don't need to trim the body for tires clearance even if you lower it as much as I did but I did trim it a little in the back because it got too close to the wheels on my Swamy Bar and also trimmed the sides a little (not the wheel wells, just the center part) simply because it IMO looks better this way (the sides would have been lower than the chassis).
    I also had to cut the bed (and reinforce part of it with glued lexan scraps) because the ESC sticks a little out of it and more so because I use the optional Traxxas ESC fan.

I simply chose to lower the body as much as possible because I just love the looks of it and it helps lower the COG, if I kept it a bit higher (but still much lower than the ridiculous stock height) I wouldn't have to cut anything.

N.B. I am of course talking about the old stock VXL body but the new body's general dimensions should be just about the same since the truck is the same.

Link to some photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GKG6rnHtc6bhFQDn9

P.S. just realized that I posted on the 4x4 forum (which BTW didn't exist back then) LOL
    All that I wrote should still apply, AFAIK.
    Last edited by FugaPrecipitosa; 04-02-2020 at 05:34 AM.
    Stampede VXL 2WD

RC Champion

Do the short metal battery posts destroy the body quicker than the plastic body posts?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

I have been using the metal posts on my sons Stampede for over a year now and my solution was these below the body.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...-tra4915/p3310

I also use these hand cut washers on top of the body on the rear posts to keep the body from slamming front to back much.

This all fits because the metal posts have more room between the base and pin hold.
    Last edited by zedorda; 04-03-2020 at 12:47 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I have been using the metal posts on my sons Stampede for over a year now and my solution was these below the body.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...-tra4915/p3310

I also use these hand cut washers on top of the body on the rear posts to keep the body from slamming front to back much.

This all fits because the metal posts have more room between the base and pin hold.
    Thank you. This is perfect! I actually have a bag of the foam washers and a bunch of the white plastic washers. I will do this up tonight. Thanks again

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I bought the JC Concepts lowering kit with the shorter, metal posts. It does well without having to modify the body any.