RC Enthusiast

Newbie Question - Rustler 4x4 Recommended Spare Parts and Upgrades...

I am a newbie and received for my birthday a Rustler 4x4 (regular version not the VXL). I am mainly going to be driving the Rustler around the yard (grass, gravel, dirt) and minimal on asphalt/concrete. I know that i am going to break things on it.

I am wondering what spare parts everyone would recommend I purchase to have on hand?

I would also like to know what parts I should upgrade?

I am already thinking about changing the gearing to allow for increased ability to operate in grass.

Thanks everyone for reading.
    Last edited by nadams18; 02-11-2020 at 02:38 PM.

RC Competitor
    If you don't have lipo batteries and a good charger, buy that before anything else.

Next, IMO, you should install this immediately:

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6893X

The part that it replaces is plastic and is prone to melting. That bearing is usually the first to go bad too from what I've seen, so having a spare come along with it is nice.

As for the grass question, it's got decent sized tires, try running it as it is, just keep an eye on how hot the motor gets. You would have been better off with a Stampede vs the Rustler for this (added ground clearance) but the big tires should make up for it.

I don't own a Rustler 4x4 yet, but I do have a Slash and a Stampede both in 4x4. The Rustler should be right in the middle, a great starting point if you aren't going to have several cars for different purposes. It's like a low CG Stampede in a way.

As far as real upgrades, first thing IMO should be to get a brushless motor in there. I kind of get bored driving the kid's brushed cars (except for the 1/16 Slash, that thing moves pretty well for brushed). You'll need a new center drive shaft when you upgrade the motor, get the nicest setup you can afford for that, but the stock VXL parts are fine. Then, you can get into "what gear should be in here." The thing isn't built for speed runs as is, should be fine for bashing. The front and rear diffs are geared lower in a brushed car vs the VXL model, should be a 14/50 motor pinion/spur gear combo to get the same speed as a stock VXL with your brushed diffs... but again, put the brushless motor in first.

Things I've broken or my kid has broken (that are worth upgrading): Caster blocks, shock caps, bearing carriers, A arms. The first 3, go with aluminum, stick to RPM or stock for the arms, bulkheads, shock towers, etc. Aluminum often just moves what breaks to a more expensive part, and it will bend and stay bent, where a plastic part can bounce back if it doesn't snap. Our breakages have all so far been on 2wd cars though, haven't broken a 4x4 yet, but I'll follow my previous experience when the time comes.

Truthfully though, just go drive it. Parts arrive from Amazon or eBay in a day or two, if you get a second RC, it will cut down on your downtime. I have six cars right now, I've had 3 broken at once already, but I could still go have fun.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTrane2028 View Post
    If you don't have lipo batteries and a good charger, buy that before anything else.
    I have a NiMH and a LiPo battery along with the Traxxas EX Peak Plus Charger.

Next, IMO, you should install this immediately:

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6893X

The part that it replaces is plastic and is prone to melting. That bearing is usually the first to go bad too from what I've seen, so having a spare come along with it is nice.
    I will add this to my list

As far as real upgrades, first thing IMO should be to get a brushless motor in there. I kind of get bored driving the kid's brushed cars (except for the 1/16 Slash, that thing moves pretty well for brushed). You'll need a new center drive shaft when you upgrade the motor, get the nicest setup you can afford for that, but the stock VXL parts are fine. Then, you can get into "what gear should be in here." The thing isn't built for speed runs as is, should be fine for bashing. The front and rear diffs are geared lower in a brushed car vs the VXL model, should be a 14/50 motor pinion/spur gear combo to get the same speed as a stock VXL with your brushed diffs... but again, put the brushless motor in first.
    I am looking at a Hobbywing upgrade for the motor and esc.
    Nate

Rustler 4x4, TRX-4 Traxx

RC Competitor
    On my rustler, the first to break was shocks and axles. Then the arms broke after a few sets of axles. Other than that, it has been problem free

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegan View Post
    On my rustler, the first to break was shocks and axles. Then the arms broke after a few sets of axles. Other than that, it has been problem free
    I think upgrading the shocks and axles makes sense. Thank you.
    Nate

Rustler 4x4, TRX-4 Traxx