Thread: Marine Grease

RC Qualifier

Marine Grease

I could have just as Easily put this in the Slash 2wd or Rustler Bandit section since it is a query about 2wd Traxxas transmissions in general.
    I know there are a lot of aftermarket Diffs that allow you to run fluid ( or modify the stock diff ) but has anyone tried Marine grease in the standard, unmodded stock diff ?
    If so,how does it hold up and perform?

RC Qualifier
    It works great, but it does eventually "leak"/seep out. It take a while tho at least on 2s.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown94 View Post
    It works great, but it does eventually "leak"/seep out. It take a while tho at least on 2s.
    That’s really good to know especially since I rarely run 3 s. I don’t even have a good 3s pack in my collection at the moment )

Marine grease should be fine, but moly is probably better suited to the high temps. Whatever you use though, apply very lightly. Using a toothbrush to work the grease in is a good method. You only need a very light coating.

When people ďpackĒ grease in differentials, any excess is immediately slung off the gears and fills the open spaces in the housing, or ends up seeping out of the case altogether. Once it fills up the housing, it can only do harm, adding friction, holding heat, etc.

Same rule applies for the idler, top shaft drive gear, and outer ring gear on the diff- just a light coating. Youíll have great performance and a much less messy rebuild when the time comes.

If youíre looking for something relatively modestly priced, and tunable, check this out:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hot-rac...SABEgJnw_D_BwE

I have one in a Rustler with 30k traxxas diff fluid and itís been great with zero leakage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    Marine grease should be fine, but moly is probably better suited to the high temps. Whatever you use though, apply very lightly. Using a toothbrush to work the grease in is a good method. You only need a very light coating.

When people “pack” grease in differentials, any excess is immediately slung off the gears and fills the open spaces in the housing, or ends up seeping out of the case altogether. Once it fills up the housing, it can only do harm, adding friction, holding heat, etc.

Same rule applies for the idler, top shaft drive gear, and outer ring gear on the diff- just a light coating. You’ll have great performance and a much less messy rebuild when the time comes.

If you’re looking for something relatively modestly priced, and tunable, check this out:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hot-rac...SABEgJnw_D_BwE

I have one in a Rustler with 30k traxxas diff fluid and it’s been great with zero leakage.

I’ve heard great things about the HR diff case you recommend

Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    Iíve heard great things about the HR diff case you recommend
    Whatís great is that it uses all the stock internals. Three tips: Use green slime or equivalent on the o-rings (liberally). Use blue 242 loctite (or equivalent. Iíve just started using vibra-tite, so not sure how well it works long-term) on the 4 screws that hold the housing together. Let the loctite cure for at least 24 hours before running it.

Ok, one more tip- tighten screws a little at a time in an X pattern so that the o-ring gets squished down evenly.

RC Qualifier
    Good tips on sealing it and seating the O ring in an X pattern.
    If I DO spring for one of these I’ll
    Have to decide which rig to put it in . I have 2 ( currently ) brushed stampedes and one HCG Slash with a 2 pole VXL/ Tacon combo in it . The no brainer would be the brushless rig, but one of the Pedes is getting a brushless Combo soon

Iíd say put it in whichever oneís up for a tranny rebuild next. Youíll love it.