RC poster

Question Ideal Aluminum Suspension Upgrade

Hello folks, I have the 1/10 slash 4x4, and looking for an all purpose durable decent suspension kit. I like to bash around and take leisurely cruises on the street. Just broke my front a-arm and glad the bulkhead didn't break like my rear one did bout a year ago. I been looking at the INTEGY Billet Machined T3 Suspension Kit for 1/10 Stampede 4X4 & Slash 4X4 (non-LCG) C26319. I do not have the LCG kit, but heard nothing but good things about it. Im no extreme hobbyist, so I don't need the best of everything for my truck. This kit would look pretty badass, but heard Integy aluminum products break easier than they should. Should I get a LCG kit first before getting a suspension kit, or would it suffice without it? I take my rc car out once a month. I use 3s 35c 5000mah lipo on stock vxl3s ESC and Velineon 3500 motor..If that relates to anything with suspension upgrades. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Slash 4x4 uprooter.

RC Qualifier
    I would strongly suggest to avoid aluminum arms. Caster blocks and hubs are excellent for aluminum upgrade but not arms. Aluminum is less forgiving than plastic so you will put more stress to chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    RPM arms are the way to go huh.. Seen lots of people talk good things about it being flexible and durable. Is there a better a arm out there for durability? seems like ive had this truck for so long that all the plastic is starting to dry out and break much easier, especially on colder days
    Slash 4x4 uprooter.

Either the arms that come on the Rustler 4x4 or RPM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    I am happy with my RPM arms on my 2wd and 4x4 Slash for now. Members also have only good reviews for new traxxas arms.

Aluminum is great for supporting parts that do not take a direct shock, like carriers. Unless your truck is being purpose built for a particular task (i.e.: speed runs), aluminum is not a good choice. The main problem is that aluminum doesn't flex when it takes a shock, it bends. That bend can be hard to see and will cause all kinds of handling issues, and will drive you crazy until you figure it out.

For bashing, RPM arms are great, they flexible and durable. They do tend to make your handling a little sloppier over stock arms, but if you are not racing it on a tight track, you'll likely not notice. Do not recommend RMP carriers, there is too much flex and not enough material to keep everything in line as it should be.

As far as Integy goes, their stuff is improving, but still hit and miss as far as parts quality goes. A lot of us who have used Integy products in the past and had bad experiences with them believe that both they, and Myth Busters have proven that you can polish a turd. Their parts look pretty in the package when it is sitting on the LHS's peg board, and that is where Integy parts should stay. Given the middle finger that Ingegy have given to their customers in the passed, I avoid them whenever possible.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    I must admit that I have integy aluminum motor mount on my 4x4 slash. I bought it used and decided to leave that motor mount because it looks like one of integy better parts. I would change it when or if I decide to convert my hcg to lcg chassis.

RC Competitor
    Just mirroring the comments about the arms. RPM or stock. My 4x4 brushless Slash was bought pre-owned, came with Tekno driveshafts in the rear. They do not work with RPM arms, so if you are looking for a good driveshaft upgrade (possibly the best to be honest), keep the stock arms.

I've put aluminum shock caps, caster blocks and carriers on some of my cars, and that's about as far as I'll go with that.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Rpm sucks. So does aluminum. Integy, how are they even still around?!

Rpm bend under the weight 9f the slash, 9n this platform, they aren't good.

Stock is where it's at.

RC Competitor
    To answer you’re question, id also stay away from integy. Had a 17mm conversion kit from them, they were awful. As suspension goes, I’d get the traxxas gtr shocks with vg racing springs and shock oil of your choice. For suspension arms, I would get rpm or the new rustler 4x4 arms as stated above. And yes the lcg kit is 100% worth the money.

The newest version of the Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate has it right! It shares the a arms with the Rustler 4x4. They have some bend but not too much. The C hubs, steering knuckles and rear hub carriers are all aluminum. Those are parts that are prone to break when they are made of plastic.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Yes, I agree with El Sob on those metal parts.. I'd even say keep the front knuckles plastic. The plastic rear carries easily break when you slam in to a curb at the right angle. I've had such hard hits that the shocks exploded (ultra shocks plastic bodies). i always try to upgrade when i break a part. The BEST upgrade i have done o my slash is the LCG Chassis!! It helps so much.
    I haven't broken a rpm a-arm yet.. But I have thrashed their rear bearing carriers...
    if you get the LCG Chassis, it comes with a different motor mount.

RC Competitor
    With that motor mount that comes with the lcg chassis, I highly suggest getting an aluminum lcg motor mount. Also I’d say keep the knuckles, hubs and carriers all aluminum. You won’t want much flex in those areas as flex could destroy your bearings , I’ve had it happen to me. Brands with good aluminum upgrades is hot racing, GPM, and STRC.

RC poster
    Thank you everyone for sharing your experience and insights with me. I went ahead and got the blue RPM arms, since the esc and motor are blue . Everybody says (except maybe 1 or 2) this is the way to go. They flex without breaking and are [very] durable! My local hobbytown RC wizard is full of good information hes been in the rc game for at least a decade. He told me the Integy parts look awesome and all, but in fact are absolute JUNK!. Chinese company: They come to the US and get SCRAP metal brass, steel, tin, copper.. melt it all down and pour it into a dye let it cool, paint it, and call it "machine billet aluminum" or whatever they say on their site. They should be shut down and sued for robbing their customers. I knew the price was too good to be true. Everything yall have said the hobby wizard said too. LCG kit is my next upgrade. Supposedly the best thing you can do as far as upgrades. said good brands for aluminum are hot racing, strc, ssd, and techna. He showed me the driveshaft in his car and explained how the blue stock Slurpee straw is no match for what hes got. Don't remember the brand name, but its much smoother when you push it around with the car off. Its a solid metal shaft instead of the hollow Slurpee straw. None of that jerkiness-smooth as can be! Im looking into upgrading to aluminum Casters, kunckles, hubs, and rear carriers too. Trying to find an American company that sells some sort of kit, but I might be [out of luck].

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out.
    and
    No foul or abusive language will be tolerated. Period. It has no place in our community. Attempts to disguise bad language or bypass the language filters will not be tolerated. (This includes abbreviations containing words that would be filtered if written out.) If you disagree with us and donít think we should be restricting your language, there are other forums that do not have this restriction. -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-15-2020 at 01:02 PM.
    Slash 4x4 uprooter.

RC poster
    Well, the slurpee straw is pretty good.. i can see how a more solid piece with more mass would help.
    but the grinding and all that you are hearing are the gears meshing and he probably has a center diff instead of the slipper clutch which is a noisy beast.