RC Enthusiast

Old guy, New Slash, random odd question

Morning everybody. I've got a new 2wd brushed Slash on the way and am getting back into the hobby for the first time in years. My experience goes waaay back, like to the early 90's with the original RC10T. But I got out for a number of years, then back in and out and in and out as money allowed. Sold off all my stuff more than once. Anyway, Im back again and slowly learning about the newer tech. About 5 years ago, I had my last RC, an SCX10 that I only owned for less than a year before selling to pay for things around the house.... grrr, adulthood. That was bone stock running on my very first experience with lipo.

The new Slash is getting a 5000mah 50c 2s lipo and eventually a brushless upgrade. I had a brushless Slash about 8 years ago that I got used in a trade and was only ever able to run it on a 6cell NiMH. It was pretty quick then, but I know the lipo would have made it a whole different beast.

Anyhow, the point of this post is more to ask about roof mounted lights. I really like scale looks and am thinking about potentially making a vintage desert or prerunner type look. Something like this...

My fear is with the speed of brushless, that during a crash the lights will dig into the ground and either rip right off the roof, or worse, rip the body right off the mounts.

Anyone here running brushless with roof lights intact?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by devestator View Post
    Morning everybody. I've got a new 2wd brushed Slash on the way and am getting back into the hobby for the first time in years. My experience goes waaay back, like to the early 90's with the original RC10T. But I got out for a number of years, then back in and out and in and out as money allowed. Sold off all my stuff more than once. Anyway, Im back again and slowly learning about the newer tech. About 5 years ago, I had my last RC, an SCX10 that I only owned for less than a year before selling to pay for things around the house.... grrr, adulthood. That was bone stock running on my very first experience with lipo.

The new Slash is getting a 5000mah 50c 2s lipo and eventually a brushless upgrade. I had a brushless Slash about 8 years ago that I got used in a trade and was only ever able to run it on a 6cell NiMH. It was pretty quick then, but I know the lipo would have made it a whole different beast.

Anyhow, the point of this post is more to ask about roof mounted lights. I really like scale looks and am thinking about potentially making a vintage desert or prerunner type look. Something like this...

My fear is with the speed of brushless, that during a crash the lights will dig into the ground and either rip right off the roof, or worse, rip the body right off the mounts.

Anyone here running brushless with roof lights intact?
    I do not have roof lights, just posting to say please post your build if you make it happen, that looks awesome.

RC Enthusiast
    I certainly will. That obviously isnt a Slash, just a picture of a truck I found on Google sort of what I think it might look like. Will probably use the Proline Chevy C10 body.

I built my last SCX10 into something that looked similar.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/4ca2761333853257

http://www.imagebam.com/image/b49cc61333853259

It was just too top heavy for the type of driving that I wanted to do, along with the financial situation I was in, I just couldnt keep it.

My actual inspiration to try to build a Slash like this came from a Youtube video that ended up randomly in my recommended...

http://www.imagebam.com/image/c10ca81333853452

Full credit to this video... https://youtu.be/Ir3yswlG8rE for the screen cap I took.

Edit: The image imbed didnt seem to work with my imagebam links for some reason...

RC Qualifier
    I would say there is a risk of ripping anything off a body on any truck faster than a crawler, but you should be able to secure it enough to withstand some crashes . If mounted securely brought the light tack could actually serve to protect the body.

I too have thought about building a “semi-Scale” kinda slash like not AS detailed as a scaler but more detailed than a racing SCT. That was actually the reason I got a SCT ( Robby Gordon Dakar ) when I got back into RC.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    I would say there is a risk of ripping anything off a body on any truck faster than a crawler, but you should be able to secure it enough to withstand some crashes . If mounted securely brought the light tack could actually serve to protect the body.

I too have thought about building a “semi-Scale” kinda slash like not AS detailed as a scaler but more detailed than a racing SCT. That was actually the reason I got a SCT ( Robby Gordon Dakar ) when I got back into RC.
    That pretty much where I think Im heading with this. A semi-scale build with two different bodies. The stock body for higher speed bashing and the vintage body for more casual running.

RC Qualifier
    I love the picture of the truck, you should definitely build something like this for sure. Hope it works out good. Remember to post progress when you get it going.