RC poster

GTR Shocks Rustler 4x4 VXL

I just bought GTR Shocks.. I've been really struggling with setting them up. Just soooo many questions.

I'm running aluminum caster and steering blocks now so that is really the only additional weight. I run on the grass and a local dirt track mostly. I'd like to max out my ride height for running in the grass and since the GTR shocks make that adjustment easy, I went with them. They also look pretty cool.

Except for the jumps, the track is pretty smooth.

-What weight oil comes with the shocks? The Rustler Owners manual said that the stock shocks run 50 up front and 30 in the back. When I used the oil that came with the shocks it seemed like the rear bottomed out too quickly and I wasn't getting the same rebound rate as the stock shocks.

-I am putting 50 weight oil in the fronts. But no matter what I do I can't seem to get the same rebound rate from each. What's the secret to getting consistency there

-What is the color code for traxxas shocks? Is black/white the least stiff and pink is the most. I'm a total noob so I have no idea how to read spring rate.

-How much should pistons rebound without the springs? I'm thinking this must be based on personal preference based on the desired tuning effect. I have a friend who is very experienced who says they shouldn't rebound much at all.... and yet the local shop says they should come out half ways. But if they rebound doesn't that detract from the damping... so confused lol.

What color springs would match 50 up front and 40 in back? Been reading everything I can on shocks, I get different answers from different sources.

I'm game to try VG Racing shocks as well. What is the color code with those shocks? I don't see a spring rate of stiffness rating on their page.

This is a bunch of questions, so thanks in advance to any who can answer any or all of them.

RC Competitor
    The pistons should rebound about 1cm without springs.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegan View Post
    The pistons should rebound about 1cm without springs.
    Thanks! Any idea on what Spring matches best with 40 and 50 weight?

RC Qualifier
    The GTR shocks are great, but the rebound rate is one common issue (stock oil is 30wt). A lot of us install the variable damping kit (5461) with the piston holes drilled out to 1/16" and the metal flap mounted on top. This will improve the rebound noticably.

The Traxxas GTR springs have these ratings:

Front (Long):

P/n N/mm Color
    #7440 0.623 Orange (softest)
    #7441 0.653 Green
    #7444 0.767 Black (stock on Slash 4x4 Platinum / Ultimate)
    #7445 0.810 Pink
    #7448 0.892 Blue (stiffest)

Rear (XX-Long):

P/n N/mm Color
    #7442 0.711 Orange (softest)
    #7443 0.762 Green
    #7446 0.874 Black (stock on Slash 4x4 Platinum / Ultimate)
    #7447 0.884 Pink
    #7449 1.004 Blue (stiffest)

A lot of people use the Losi (LOSB2959) front spring set on the GTR's. IMO they are too long on the front but great for the rear, especially if your truck is on the heavy side.
    Also, we have the VG Racing springs which is preferred by many for heavier rigs (to my knowledge they have only one (progressive) rate, but different colors).

It's impossible to give a "one for all setup tip" - there are too many variables involved. Trial and error is the only way to find the best setup for you. It may be somewhat tedious and time consuming, but it's really the only way to do it.
    Last edited by Viking; 02-14-2020 at 03:47 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    The GTR shocks are great, but the rebound rate is one common issue (stock oil is 30wt). A lot of us install the variable damping kit (5461) with the piston holes drilled out to 1/16" and the metal flap mounted on top. This will improve the rebound noticably.

Front (Long):

P/n N/mm Color
    #7441 0.653 Green
    #7445 0.810 Pink

Rear (XX-Long):

P/n N/mm Color
    #7443 0.762 Green
    #7447 0.884 Pink

A lot of people use the Losi (LOSB2959) front spring set on the GTR's. IMO they are too long on the front but great for the rear, especially if your truck is on the heavy side.
    Also, we have the VG Racing springs which is preferred by many for heavier rigs (to my knowledge they have only one (progressive) rate, but different colors).

It's impossible to give a "one for all setup tip" - there are too many variables involved. Trial and error is the only way to find the best setup for you. It may be somewhat tedious and time consuming, but it's really the only way to do it.
    Someone make this post a sticky. Great summary.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post

Front (Long):

P/n N/mm Color
    #7441 0.653 Green
    #7445 0.810 Pink

Rear (XX-Long):

P/n N/mm Color
    #7443 0.762 Green
    #7447 0.884 Pink

Thanks man! great post.

I ordered all the Traxxas springs except for the Orange. I have 30,40 and 50 weight and I hope to start experimenting this weekend.

I'm going to start out with 50 up front and Blue and 40 in the back with Pink.

On the rebound. I guess it must be a preference and/or trial and error. I have to refill one of my fronts because one front rebounds an inch an the other rebounds like a centimeter. I'm a hopeless perfectionist on this.

The other thing I noticed about the springs is that the blue and pink springs are not as long as the blacks. So you have to put some pre load into. Is that because you would generally run a slightly lower ride height with a stiffer setup?

Also, why would you want your damper to rebound? Isn't the spring supposed to be what rebounds and the damper controls the release of energy?

While the Traxxas springs are "very good", many people have found the Losi springs to be better. You might consider checking out their front & rear Shock Spring Tuning Sets:

LOSB2963 (rear) - https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-re...sb2963/p210184

LOSB2959 (front) - https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-fr...sb2959/p210185

On the Rustler I converted into a 'true' stadium truck (it's running standard 2.2 ST wheels), I've been running the blue up front, and purple in the rear, and it works great. On my other Rusty, which I'm in the process of converting into a 1/8 e-buggy lite, I'll be running the blue on the front, and black on the rear. The train I'll be using black in the rear, as opposed to purple, is because the rear is lighter than the other Rusty.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC poster
    so you went with a softer spring up front for the stadium truck? What weight oil did you match with the springs?

RC Competitor
    Losi Ten front springs work great on the rear, so does the SC10 factory team fronts, also for the rear.

I went with the stock GTR shock for the front, with the blue front gtr springs, its ok for a rougher track, but on smoother , hard packed track with bigger jumps, the blue front won't be enough i think.

Has anyone tried the x0-1/Jato 3.3 springs for the front GTR? They have rates going from 1 to 2 spring rates.

RC Competitor
    I ordered the Pro-Line Powerstroke shocks and spring set, I'll let ya know how they work.

Currently running GTRs with VG springs. They're an excellent combo.

RC Competitor
    Thank you , been hearing so much about it, thing is i just need front springs , quite happy with the losi and associated springs i got for the back.

How long are the VG front springs?