RC poster

Question is it possible to put a revo tranny on a tmaxx 2.5?

so im debating about wanting the overdrive tranny but i dont know if it will fit or will even install into a tmaxx 2.5? will it if so PLEASE let me know

RC Qualifier
    The t-maxx and nitro revo both are two-speed.

RC poster
    i know i just wanted to see if i could get the overdrive to work or not

RC Qualifier
    Where are you seeing overdrive? The electric version is a single-speed and nitro version is two-speed.

RC Enthusiast
    There was a 2.5r tranny that came with optidrive but they are only found in the modern 3.3 maxx. I’ve also heard REALLY REALLY bad things about optidrive. And no, the revo trans is completely different and won’t fit without insane skill and modification. The tmaxx 3.3 tranny is revo spec though so about the same in durability

Traxxas doesn't make an overdrive transmission for the nitros. Just a two-speed. You will note that the internals from a current Revo and current T-Maxx are the same - from slipper clutch to output shaft. The only difference is the outer case.

There was one very smart guy years ago that built a three-speed transmission for his T-Maxx but often had issues with bearings blowing apart due to the speeds of some of the internal shafts.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Traxxas doesn't make an overdrive transmission for the nitros. Just a two-speed. You will note that the internals from a current Revo and current T-Maxx are the same - from slipper clutch to output shaft. The only difference is the outer case.

There was one very smart guy years ago that built a three-speed transmission for his T-Maxx but often had issues with bearings blowing apart due to the speeds of some of the internal shafts.
    I thought maybe I was missing something. The only thing that came to mind was the overdrive ring/pinion set for the TRX-4 or the kit to add a second gear like the Summit.

I always wanted to try my hand at doing the 3-spd myself. If remember right I think he even used that setup to hit 100mph.

Yeah, I miss Snook Man. He build that transmission and was doing a nitro 100mph build. Soon after that he disappeared. Sad because he was one of the smartest guys here.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I miss Snook Man. He build that transmission and was doing a nitro 100mph build. Soon after that he disappeared. Sad because he was one of the smartest guys here.
    He was very good at detailing his builds. And always enjoyed answering a question about his mods. Hope he and his family are doing well and enjoying new activities. Maybe Traxxas will do some type of Hall of Fame or section for Featured Members and their Traxxas projects/builds. Some are too good to be lost to archives.

I spoke with him often, really nice guy.... Helped me wrap my head around Nitro's and the TMAXX itself and saved me a pantload of money. Yeah Miss that guy...
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall