RC Qualifier

General consensus on WideMaxx Kit?

Picking up my MAXX soon - whats the general feeling about the Widemaxx kit?
    Does it really improve handling when turning a lot?

Recommended to get the steel CVD kit alongside the wide kit too?
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

RC Qualifier
    Worth the 50 dollars best hop up so far. Also change the middle diff fluid to 100k, still wheelies

RC Qualifier
    Are the steel CVDs a must with the wide kit?

RC Qualifier
    I don't have them but I don't beat on my rc's like some do

RC Enthusiast
    > Are the steel CVDs a must with the wide kit?

I tend to doubt that the wide kit changes the CVD analysis. In my opinion, the plastic drive shafts are a complete joke (esp at this price, which is a different issue). I had many failures of the plastic driveshafts on my not-wide-Maxx (4 separate breakages) and just went to the steel kit. I don’t know why mechanically the wide kit would change things one way or the other.

> Picking up my MAXX soon - whats the general feeling about the Widemaxx kit?

I’ll give you my opinion on this - which is just that - my opinion. If you want to go widemaxx, you should just get an erevo 2.0. For the same money, you get... the wide suspension arms, and (bonus!!) steel driveshafts. The car costs basically the same as the Maxx. Why buy the Maxx for the same money, then spend a whole bunch to turn it into an erevo.

I have a Kraton 6S, which is really much wider than the Maxx. What makes the Maxx fun - I dare say the entire point of the Maxx, is that it is soooo squirrelly. You can easily get it up on two wheels.... two wheels on the same side that is. The stock Maxx will definitely want to roll over in a fast corner. My Maxx (not wide) rolls over on its side way more often than my Kraton 6S, which basically never gets rolled over.

I don’t think it’s wrong to have a wide Maxx, its just more like the Kraton or erevo that way. But why spend the money to convert when you could just start off with the Kraton or erevo - and get metal drivetrain out of the box.

The Kraton 6S is responsible. It’s fast and stable around corners, and follows the rules. The Maxx tho its easy to get it doing flips end over end, wheelies everywhere, up on one side or the other... its tearing around with its hair on fire in comparison. Anything that diminishes that I think reduces the point of getting the Maxx in the first place
    Last edited by dimsdale; 02-15-2020 at 07:32 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post

Wide kit is worth it imo. Bought the car for my 9 year old for christmas. He doesnít understand easy in the turns.

If you run the truck moderately hard, you will be walking across the parking lot/ field quite a bit to turn it back over.

Wide kit definitely reduces that and makes driving the truck a lot more fun.

I havenít put in metal shafts the stockers have been working fine for both me and the kid. Until it becomes a problem I will leave it stock. No reason to replace good parts cause someone on a website says the stockers are bad.

Or some guy telling you not to put on a wide body kit because then itís an erevo.......

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Im in the UK and will be purchasing the truck here.
    My brother has an E-Revo already and only lives down the road, and we typically take the trucks out together so I don't want another truck the same as his when we tend to swap about anyways\!

I may just get the truck and the widemaxx kit first and see whether I need the CVDs later in that case. Ive read stories of others stock plastic CVDs failing with the widemaxx kit so was going to order the CVDs to avoid the 'downtime'! lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dimsdale View Post

I’ll give you my opinion on this - which is just that - my opinion. If you want to go widemaxx, you should just get an erevo 2.0. For the same money, you get... the wide suspension arms, and (bonus!!) steel driveshafts. The car costs basically the same as the Maxx. Why buy the Maxx for the same money, then spend a whole bunch to turn it into an erevo.
    That’s a sensible way of looking at it. Buying a MAXX then spend half the cars price to get it to perform like a E Revo seems wasteful. Treat the MAXX for what it is, a stampede 4x4 and monster slash on steroids.

By the time you upgrade the MAXX to the, uh, max, you might as well have started with some kit monster trucks with higher spec motor and servo set up.

RC Competitor
    >
    IMO. the e-revo is inferior design compared to the Maxx. The 2.0 is just heavier and now more prone to breaking in the same places with the extra inertia.

RC Racer
    I've got the maxx and 2 erevo 2.0's. They have both taken some serious hits and huge air. Neither one has broken yet. I almost picked up the widemaxx kit yesterday but my legs only had green and I have the red.

RC Enthusiast
    buy maxx as is and bash it around till you get a hang for it. you might not need to go widemaxx instead could beef up some weak areas you find. that was my story.

RC Enthusiast

Yeah the steel CVDS are a must with the widemaxx. I broke my first plastic axle today. What I like about this truck overall is that it's a monster truck and it takes a beating. The plastic axle thing and how narrow it is and how overpriced it is, is what bothers me. I forget about all that once I'm bashing the crap out of it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmaxx 8s newb View Post
    Yeah the steel CVDS are a must with the widemaxx. I broke my first plastic axle today. What I like about this truck overall is that it's a monster truck and it takes a beating. The plastic axle thing and how narrow it is and how overpriced it is, is what bothers me. I forget about all that once I'm bashing the crap out of it.
    I did one pack through the max ,with the compleat wide kit and right beside it my son drove the Kraton 6s , the two vehicles are not compatible , don't get me wrong here been a Traxxas fan for years , that 6s is a land squid no dought bad part to the story is I didn't even make it through my pack , and the esc fan went out then the esc , rediculuose !! 6s for the win

RC Competitor
    Just installed one side of the wide maxx kit and I can definitely tell that the steel axle shafts are going to be needed. I took a pic and you can see how much more exposed the stock shafts are creating a weak point where the shafts are exposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nrvous1 View Post
    Just installed one side of the wide maxx kit and I can definitely tell that the steel axle shafts are going to be needed. I took a pic and you can see how much more exposed the stock shafts are creating a weak point where the shafts are exposed.

Yes high velcity shafts are a must have

RC Qualifier
    > Are the steel CVDs a must with the wide kit?

I tend to doubt that the wide kit changes the CVD analysis. In my opinion, the plastic drive shafts are a complete joke (esp at this price, which is a different issue). I had many failures of the plastic driveshafts on my not-wide-Maxx (4 separate breakages) and just went to the steel kit. I don’t know why mechanically the wide kit would change things one way or the other.

I have a Kraton 6S, which is really much wider than the Maxx. What makes the Maxx fun - I dare say the entire point of the Maxx, is that it is soooo squirrelly. You can easily get it up on two wheels.... two wheels on the same side that is. The stock Maxx will definitely want to roll over in a fast corner. My Maxx (not wide) rolls over on its side way more often than my Kraton 6S, which basically never gets rolled over.

I don’t think it’s wrong to have a wide Maxx, its just more like the Kraton or erevo that way. But why spend the money to convert when you could just start off with the Kraton or erevo - and get metal drivetrain out of the box.

The Kraton 6S is responsible. It’s fast and stable around corners, and follows the rules. The Maxx tho its easy to get it doing flips end over end, wheelies everywhere, up on one side or the other... its tearing around with its hair on fire in comparison. Anything that diminishes that I think reduces the point of getting the Maxx in the first place
    Thanks for this post. Never thought about how widening it would basically make it like my E-Revo 2.0 minus the metal parts.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Competitor
    Lol, well one pack in on a moderate bash session and the cvdís are on order.

RC Qualifier
    Lol, well one pack in on a moderate bash session and the cvdís are on order.

wow!
    Was having second thoughts but glad I ordered the CVDs as well now!!

RC Champion
    Nice Twisted Traxxas

Rubbery
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    I decided to go back to the stock setup. My lhs carries a ton of maxx parts and realized if I have to replace a broken wide maxx arm; they will not break up a set of arms just to replace one. So, Iíd rather be able to replace one stock arm for a few bucks rather than buy an entire new wide maxx kit. I also picked up a couple of spare stock axels since they carry those as well.

RC Qualifier

General consensus on WideMaxx Kit?

Replacement wide Maxx arms are available in sets of two. Parts 8998 and 8999.

https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=Wide+Maxx
    Last edited by boosta; 03-09-2020 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Link

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by boosta View Post
    Replacement wide Maxx arms are available in sets of two. Parts 8998 and 8999.

https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=Wide+Maxx
    Awesome! Thanks for the link!

RC Racer
    Awesome! Thanks for the link!

Allrightythen ,, the wide max kit is finnaly compleat !!! Sledgehammer tires put the max where it needs to be , they make it flip , and holds traction a ton better , also those tires go on my rustler vxl ,and my slash ultimate , they make all cars alotore fun for sure. But of course as soon as there available there out of stock !! What is going on here Lewis ?
    Last edited by Double G; 03-17-2020 at 07:26 AM. Reason: language

RC Enthusiast
    So it looks like it'll cost ~$300 CAD to do the wide kit properly, with metal drive shafts and the metal hubs. I'd love to add more cornering stability to my MAXX, but a third of the initial cost is tough to justify. If it were just the wide kit at $90, I'd be ordering it now. But the "need" for the metal drive shafts at $187 really adds to the price.

RC Qualifier
    I use my wide maxx with 3s I think it's fast enough and u don't need metal cvd's

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Albie72 View Post
    I use my wide maxx with 3s I think it's fast enough and u don't need metal cvd's
    I did on my maxx with 4s. Maybe 3s would be ok on the stock plastic shafts.

First pack in with moderate driving on pavement and grass/field running and this is what my stock plastic driveshafts looked like.

RC Enthusiast
    Those look so consistent, it almost seems like twisted looks stock lol. Makes me wonder if they made longer, plastic driveshafts, it that would fix the problem. It looks like the issue that the wide kit results in less thread being screwed in, so less secure and thus twisting?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by coop3422 View Post
    Those look so consistent, it almost seems like twisted looks stock lol. Makes me wonder if they made longer, plastic driveshafts, it that would fix the problem. It looks like the issue that the wide kit results in less thread being screwed in, so less secure and thus twisting?
    Thatís what I was also thinking. Since the stock shafts are fine on 3s and 4s without the widemaxx kit.

RC poster
    I installed the Wide Maxx kit last night. Less than one pack later I had 3 broken stock CVDs.

It took 3 packs to break the CVD and an A arm with the stock arms.

This truck is a blast but the durability hasn't been that awesome.

I now have bought:

3 OEM Drive shafts - $25
    Wide Max kit - $50
    Steel CVDs and hubs - $150

So I'm almost 50% of the initial cost of the truck. Hopefully the new Steel CVDs help.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by BDOAli View Post
    I installed the Wide Maxx kit last night. Less than one pack later I had 3 broken stock CVDs.

I now have bought:

3 OEM Drive shafts - $25
    Wide Max kit - $50

So I'm almost 50% of the initial cost of the truck. Hopefully the new Steel CVDs help.
    They steel cvdís help. I havenít broken one yet. But, Iím back to the stock arms and stock length cvdís.

RC Enthusiast

I now have bought:

3 OEM Drive shafts - $25
    Wide Max kit - $50

****, what kind of bashing are you doing? lol

They steel cvd’s help. I haven’t broken one yet. But, I’m back to the stock arms and stock length cvd’s.

Why'd you go back to stock?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by coop3422 View Post
    ****, what kind of bashing are you doing? lol

Why'd you go back to stock?
    I like how squirrelly the truck is at stock width. Itís unpredictable which makes it a bit more fun with my driving style.

What other RC cars do you own?
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, so.... My Maxx has been just simply AWESOME! The most impressive part is how long it runs on a battery pack. The only 2 RC's I've ever owned that run a very long time on a battery is: 1st place is X-Maxx and 2nd place is the Maxx.
    On the WideMaxx opinion, I love it and my driveshafts haven't broken or twisted. I do have a cracked front one but superglued it and it hasn't finished breaking yet! It broke due to a C hub breakage from hitting a tree going wide open. This thing takes awful wrecks and still keeps running. I have a Kraton 6s and I broke several parts along with the chassis and then spent the most I have ever spent on an RC making stronger. I hardly ever run it now. Me and my wife run the X-Maxx and Maxx most of the time. The Maxx is NOT a truggy! It's a Maxx! I dont know any other way to say it LOL. I do want to figure out how to make the steering better on both trucks though.
    X-Maxx_Maxx_Rust4x4vxl_TRX-4_Slash4x4_Rally_4Tec2

RC Enthusiast
    Is there a aluminum wide max kit?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FalconX View Post
    Is there a aluminum wide max kit?

Even if there were, I wouldn't want to just transfer any breakages to a part further down the chain TBH......much easier, and cheaper, to replace a suspension arm.....