RC Racer

Steering problem has me stumped

My E Revo 2.0 is 2 years old. Stock motor, esc and receiver. I did convert to a single Savox servo when I got the truck. My steering has become erratic to where it will go from normal to way under powered and taking a wide area to turn in. Some times the steering will just stop all together. TSM is working correctly and I have the same issues with it on or off. Steering works good in reverse.

At first I replaced the servo but still have the same problem.
    Next, I re-calibrated the radio and still the same.
    Then I went ahead and went back to the original dual servo set up and the problem persist.

So my question is, can my receiver be bad or could this be an ESC issue?

Appreciate any input, Thanks.

Hey tankinfrank! I have a Savox 1231sg in my E Revo 2.0 as well. The issue you are having is due to interaction between the Savox servo and the TSM. I found there is a sweet spot for it to work properly with the TSM. On my street E Revo my TSM is around 9, set in the app using the blu tooth link. Make sure all your updates are installed and turn the TSM to zero. Slightly work it up using the app and you will find the spot that works perfect w the Savox and the truck. A few other members have had this same issue. As you stated you went back to stock servos and still have the issues...that might signify a receiver issue as the TSM is responding poorly. Are all your updates up to date?

When I was young my dad always said to fix the cheap and easy things first when trying to figure out a mechanical problem. Having said that, I would start with the servo saver spring and mechanism. After two years I imagine it's a little worn out. My guess would be the servo is operating correctly but over powering the servo saver. I actually need to do the same to mine, if I give to much throttle while turning the inertia of the wheels will over power the saver and they will start to straighten out. Just a thought, cheap and easy.

it's alright son, I'll fix it
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Racer
    Thanks for the reply FnFancy. So, I have a TQI Tpo Qualifier radio with the blue tooth module that I use for my TRX 4 Sport and Rustler VXL. I should be able to bind that to the Revo as well. Once I do that I should be able to use the Traxxas App abd actually see the TSM setting and adjust like you described?

Rick have the tsm tip, I did find also at a certain setting it would act funny, with dual traxxas servos and savox. There is a compadability chart online showing what traxxas recievers work with which traxxas radio. Personally, it sounds as they are all recent models so, yes. You should be able to pair your trx/rustler tx to the erevo rx.

Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    When I was young my dad always said to fix the cheap and easy things first when trying to figure out a mechanical problem. Having said that, I would start with the servo saver spring and mechanism. After two years I imagine it's a little worn out. My guess would be the servo is operating correctly but over powering the servo saver. I actually need to do the same to mine, if I give to much throttle while turning the inertia of the wheels will over power the saver and they will start to straighten out. Just a thought, cheap and easy.

+1 this. Check your steering linkages. And servo savor. Mine has a bunch of cud in it. On the ground my tires don't always want to turn but if running it works fine. I have a replacement spring on the way. The bearing also needed cleaned and repacked as it was pretty frozen last time I took the linkages apart

I also run with tsm off. It made the car run funky to me. Even stock.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Yeah, my spring is good and I replaced the little bearings. I'm gonna try later to use the module and app and check the TSM settings. If that doesn't pan out I'm gonna try a different receiver. Again, thanks for the advice!

How about pillow balls? There could be a bind in the steering assembly. Pillow balls are usually the culprit. Disengage the steering arm and make sure there is no binding happening. Like I said earlier, I'm just trying the simple easy fixes first. Let us know what the fix is!

RC poster
    I wish traxxas would make or put The hpi baja 5s tire (170x60) tires on the erevo 2.0 I just ordered me some and haven't got them yet plus I just took my erevo to the hobby shop again my esc stop running the truck on mid or full throttle and the hobby shop already sent the other bad esc from traxxas back and I only had this one for about a month and I had nothing but problems I literally was not running the truck in love with my rustler but I love my erevo 2.0 too but change the aggravating esc and the tires and I bet this truck will compete with the kraton and probably would win its already a beast but I think the thick tires is holding the erevo back from it's full potential

RC Racer
    Dang, that's one item I didn't check. I'll take a look at the pillow balls today if I get the time. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by tankinfrank View Post
    Dang, that's one item I didn't check. I'll take a look at the pillow balls today if I get the time. Thanks for the tip.
    I've had this issue. Pillow balls were gummed up with dirt, wasn't allowing the steering to function properly. Mine was more obvious to diagnose as one wheel was turning easier than the other.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I think that may be my issue aslo. Been busy so I haven't messed with the vehicle for a while. Got my new axle carriers and pillow balls in last week. Gonna try to get it done soon.

I had a savox 1210sg halfway die on me after about ayear. One of the fets inside fried. Then it would turn in one direction, but not the other. I was able to repair it with a new fet I waited for from China for $5. Pretty sure I got 15 of them... was a pain to solder.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhKF98wl-ys

Odds are though, yours is binding mechanically somewhere. When my fet died, it wouldn't turn one direction at all.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

So today while bashing. Noob Friend was using the erevo and I was on xmaxx. Erevo No lid( forgot it at home), no bumpers. No water. On bmx pump track. Pulled rod end at the a arm. Took back to truck and fixed.

Thought ready to go. Turned on, tested steering it's a go. Run forward and no steering. Do reverse back to me. And I have steering. Do forward. And no steering. Reversing steering good ***. Messed with car in forward servo saver was doing its job. and found broken front upper a arm. Found that and moved it a little and steering is back in forward. We bashed still till xmaxx out of juice.

On Merv a few months ago. Only steering on to left. Zero right movement. Thought servo. Tore if down and no gear issues. Random thought was try using my old school Rusty's rx and tx with just a test plugin. Servo worked correctly. So Rx and tx bad. Found a used trx Rx and tx locally for the right price. And Merv runs fine since. Prior Rx and tx was non trx and aged, so not surprised. Moral of story could be Rx or tx issues vs mechanical... Test to rule it out.

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I had a savox 1210sg halfway die on me after about ayear. One of the fets inside fried. Then it would turn in one direction, but not the other. I was able to repair it with a new fet I waited for from China for $5. Pretty sure I got 15 of them... was a pain to solder.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhKF98wl-ys

Odds are though, yours is binding mechanically somewhere. When my fet died, it wouldn't turn one direction at all.
    What did you do to ts it was the fet? Those small parts really test the iron skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    What did you do to ts it was the fet? Those small parts really test the iron skills.

It was a visible failure. The fet had a hole burned in it. It's the larger chip towards the top with the burn mark on it:

Considering the cost of the replacement chip, I figured it was worth trying to replace it and see if it worked. If it didn't, I was out a bit of time and $5. If it did, then my $80 servo was working again.

RC Racer
    Well, I put the new pillow balls and axle carriers on last night. The old ball tips were grimey and the axle carriers were slightly wallowed out where the pillows ball sets in them. Everything else on the mechanical side of the steering linkage is straight and clean to include fresh bearings. Took a quick test spin and steering was a little better but the same issue persist that if I mess with the TSM knob it either wont turn sharp or turn at all. All ways works in reverse. Found one very small sweet spot where I can set the knob and steering acts normal. I did go back to my single servo set up with the same results. (I keeps the 2075s as spares for my Summits). My next move is to swap out the receiver and see what that does. Question, doesn't the TSM response originate in the ESC or is it just between the TX and RX?

Also, thanks for all the input people!

Have you tried updating via Traxxas Link? My Erevo 2.0 acted weird where the TSM knob needed to be at a certain spot to work. Updated via the Bluetooth and have had no more issues.

Quote Originally Posted by tankinfrank View Post
    Well, I put the new pillow balls and axle carriers on last night. The old ball tips were grimey and the axle carriers were slightly wallowed out where the pillows ball sets in them. Everything else on the mechanical side of the steering linkage is straight and clean to include fresh bearings. Took a quick test spin and steering was a little better but the same issue persist that if I mess with the TSM knob it either wont turn sharp or turn at all. All ways works in reverse. Found one very small sweet spot where I can set the knob and steering acts normal. I did go back to my single servo set up with the same results. (I keeps the 2075s as spares for my Summits). My next move is to swap out the receiver and see what that does. Question, doesn't the TSM response originate in the ESC or is it just between the TX and RX?

Also, thanks for all the input people!
    I was pretty sure all the TSM controlling is between the transmitter/receiver and nothing really in the esc. The esc just does what the receiver tells it to.

/\ Olds97LS is correct with what he said here.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Have you tried updating via Traxxas Link? My Erevo 2.0 acted weird where the TSM knob needed to be at a certain spot to work. Updated via the Bluetooth and have had no more issues.
    To op I second doing this. And also try using the Rx and tx from your summit and see if same issues. As this can be a quick way to rule out if it's your Rx and or tx. Also if summit is the two controller can also try binding your summit tx to xmaxx to see if it's the tx

To bind. With controller and car off. Press and hold set button on tx, then turn tx on. Should have a red light. Next take little rubber cover off top of Rx box. There is a bind button in there. Press and hold with a tool while turning car on. This will Link your other tx.

I have 3 tqi tx, and bind all my cars to each tx so it doesnt matter what controller i grab for a car.

RC Racer
    Well, appears to be the rx. Put the exact same model rx from my Rustler and did a short test run and everything seems to be working good now. Hopefully I'll have time for a full 6s run this afternoon.

RC Racer
    Oh, btw, I did test the RT with my other vehicles that have TSM and had no issues. Man, I have been into this hobby for years and have about 15 Traxxas vehicles and never had a receiver issue.