Wide kit or wide mod?

Whatís the best way to go about widening the stampede 4x4, I love the truck but just want it to be a bit wider. From what Iíve been able to google, the slash 4x4 protrac kit would work but I didnít see many people recommending it. I could get hub extenders but would rather not if I can get slightly longer arms instead. Has anyone widened their stampede 4x4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I think a lot of people do the hex adapters, maybe someone will chime in on the longer a arms

RC Qualifier
    I'm getting ready to build a P4de with the Pro-Trac. Had it on my Sl4sh and loved it. I would do the Pro-Trac and not longer hexes.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Thanks Max. I found a protrac kit for 40 bucks, Iíll plan on getting that. I think the stampede 4x4 arms should be a bit longer by default, I feel they are too short.

RC Qualifier
    Cool I must research this now.. need new front AArms. Do you need longer drive shafts too? I have MIP HDs in the rear and Tekno up front

Iím not sure about the teknos, but proline says the protrac kit will work with mip xduty drive shafts, so should be fine with those.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualungs View Post
    Cool I must research this now.. need new front AArms. Do you need longer drive shafts too? I have MIP HDs in the rear and Tekno up front

Your Tekno's will be too short, but they do make longer shafts for the Pro-Trac length.

RC Qualifier
    Cool I will look more into this

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualungs View Post
    Cool I will look more into this

I just got off the phone with Tekno. They no longer make M6 driveshafts in the Pro Trac length. They weren't selling that well, so they discontinued them. You would have to change out your driveshafts to the MIP.

I don't like putting wide hexes or hex extensions on my trucks as they put a lot of undo Force and pressure on the stub axle. I've snapped off a few doing this.

Last edited by MaXDee; 02-17-2020 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    I just got off the phone with Tekno. They no longer make M6 driveshafts in the Pro Trac length. They weren't selling that well, so they discontinued them. You would have to change out your driveshafts to the MIP.

I don't like putting wide hexes or hex extensions on my trucks as they put a lot of undo Force and pressure on the stub axle. I've snapped off a few doing this.

Yeah thatís what I donít want to do, put extra undue stress on the drivetrain. Iíll plan on grabbing a protrac kit and sticking with that. Thanks again Max!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Yeah thatís what I donít want to do, put extra undue stress on the drivetrain. Iíll plan on grabbing a protrac kit and sticking with that. Thanks again Max!

You're welcome. Anytime.

I run the hot racing 12->17mm adapters on mine with MIP X-Duties. I think they try and make the stubs a bit stronger by keying the axle vs putting a hole in it. I've been running mine pretty hard for over a year with those hobs and have yet to break one.

They add 6mm to each side, which isn't a lot, but it was noticeable:
    https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=WH17HS01;c=805

They have others that are 16mm compared to stock, those might cause some damage...
    https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=SLF117XT06;c=805

But they only work with pinned stubs, not the keyed stubs that MIP uses with the X-Duty's.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I run the hot racing 12->17mm adapters on mine with MIP X-Duties. I think they try and make the stubs a bit stronger by keying the axle vs putting a hole in it. I've been running mine pretty hard for over a year with those hobs and have yet to break one.

They add 6mm to each side, which isn't a lot, but it was noticeable:
    https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=WH17HS01;c=805

They have others that are 16mm compared to stock, those might cause some damage...
    https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=SLF117XT06;c=805

But they only work with pinned stubs, not the keyed stubs that MIP uses with the X-Duty's.
    Truck looks like a nice build. Hub extenders were the first thing I thought of but Iíve read plenty of threads on various forums saying yes and no to hub extenders.

If I canít manage to get a protrac kit Iíll take a look at those hot racing ones you mentioned, Olds97. Thanks for your personal input, always good info!

Since that photo, I had replaced the front c-hubs/axle carriers with hot racing alloy as well as the rears. So there's a lot of alloy on there now.

A persistent issue I have though is my upper turnbuckles pop off the inside ball constantly. I have a washer to retain them, but they still pop off all the time even after replacing them all with new ones, I didn't make it through half a pack before the rears popped off again.

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Since that photo, I had replaced the front c-hubs/axle carriers with hot racing alloy as well as the rears. So there's a lot of alloy on there now.

A persistent issue I have though is my upper turnbuckles pop off the inside ball constantly. I have a washer to retain them, but they still pop off all the time even after replacing them all with new ones, I didn't make it through half a pack before the rears popped off again.
    Whatís causing them to pop off, just the way you bash the truck? Or from all the aluminum parts not flexing from impacts?

I really don't know, it's usually the rears that do it. I've had alloy axle carriers on the rear a long time. Before the HR's, I had a set of atomik rc's on that I bent. It was probably happening then and I didn't notice it.

RC Qualifier
    The rear has more droop. If I had to guess, as it wears out the turnbuckle plastic end slips out easier at full extension and compression.

Youíre probably right twobelugas.

My stampede 4x4 hasnít had much abuse, Iíve been too busy trying to trash my 2 rustler vxls and rustler 4x4 , so I havenít had anything happen besides plastic shock cap popping off, and Iíve since put on Traxxas red aluminum shock caps and 50wt oil. Going to wait for the protrac kit to come in and install it before I really give my stampede a go at some big air.

Yay my Protrac kit came in going to install in tomorrow. Not sure what to do with the short course rims, maybe Iíll grab some Baja t/a kr2 tires and toss em on my rustler VXL. So excited for this protrac kit

Yay my Protrac kit came in going to install in tomorrow. Not sure what to do with the short course rims, maybe Iíll grab some Baja t/a kr2 tires and toss em on my rustler VXL. So excited for this protrac kit

The included wheels are specific to the ProTrac arms. The arms are longer than the stock arms, so the wheels have an offset that's designed to keep the width identical to the stock arms & wheels. If you use the ProTrac arms with standard wheels, you're going to widen the overall width of the vehicle. Likewise, if you use the wheels on a vehicle with stock arms, your going to narrow the overall width of that vehicle.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier

NICE! I'm waiting on a Team KNK stainless steel screw kit so I can actually build my P4de from scratch.

Iíll run em on my stampede then! Should be mildly amusing watching my horrible driving skills drive a monster truck rc around with short course tires

RC Qualifier
    Iíll run em on my stampede then! Should be mildly amusing watching my horrible driving skills drive a monster truck rc around with short course tires

It'll probably handle a lot better with the smaller tires and being lower to the ground.

Sounds like fun then Iím going to install the kit when I get off work here in a bit.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like fun then Iím going to install the kit when I get off work here in a bit.

Keep us posted