RC poster

Best brushless motor for slash 2wd

I have a slash 2wd brushed currently w/ lcg chassis and rpm parts. I got a velieon 3s ESC for free, and I was wondering what motor to put in the car. I am running 2s lipo and 86/18 currently. I want the car to go about 50-60, and I am ok changing the gearing, but not looking to spend more than $100. Thanks in advance!

RC Competitor
    Where did you get a free esc?! I'd say just pair it with Velineon 3500.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Reality check...you're probably not going to get 50-60mph on 2S. With the most extreme gearing, it might be possible...but, again, probably not...plus, even if the most extreme gearing could get your Slash to those speeds on 2S, you'd cause the ESC and/or motor to overheat to the point of 'killing' it/them. If you want to hit those speeds, you'll need to jump up to 3S.

As for a motor, you could pick up Traxxas' own Velineon motor, which is a 3500kV brushless/sensorless motor...or, you could pick up one of the Hobbywing EZ-Run 3660SL G2 motors, which are plug-and-play with the Traxxas Velineon ESC, and come in 3200kV, 4000kV & 4600kV options. Personally, I'd suggest/recommend the 4000kV option, as the 4600kV would be WAY too powerful (although, be if you do choose to go with the 4600kV, I'm sure there are lots of people who would love to see photos of the Slash's remaining pieces after you crash).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Champion
    I've got a 4000kv in mine, and it is geared 86/23 on 2s and it's a rocket. It's more than fast enough

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I’ve got a Rocket 3900kv 4 pole motor from Banggood. It’s bonkers.

RC Qualifier
    I run a 3930KV 3650 size 540 2 pole Tacon with the old style 2
    Pole VXL and it is pretty quick on 2s and crazy on 3s.
    I am thinking of putting the Horizon Onyx 70 amp combo in my 2wd Pede. It comes in a 3000 or 4000 KV version .

RC Qualifier
    Also keep in mind with trying to reach that power and speed will take some extra care when handling. You will have to be easy on the throttle when starting out. Also when you get something put together get/buy a temp gun and get your esc and motor temps.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Is your free esc a 2 pole or 4 pole version.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Reality check...you're probably not going to get 50-60mph on 2S. With the most extreme gearing, it might be possible...but, again, probably not...plus, even if the most extreme gearing could get your Slash to those speeds on 2S, you'd cause the ESC and/or motor to overheat to the point of 'killing' it/them. If you want to hit those speeds, you'll need to jump up to 3S.

As for a motor, you could pick up Traxxas' own Velineon motor, which is a 3500kV brushless/sensorless motor...or, you could pick up one of the Hobbywing EZ-Run 3660SL G2 motors, which are plug-and-play with the Traxxas Velineon ESC, and come in 3200kV, 4000kV & 4600kV options. Personally, I'd suggest/recommend the 4000kV option, as the 4600kV would be WAY too powerful (although, be if you do choose to go with the 4600kV, I'm sure there are lots of people who would love to see photos of the Slash's remaining pieces after you crash).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    First of all, thanks for the detailed response. I would prefer the hobbywing motor as it is cheaper, but I was wondering how fast the truck will be on 2s with 86/18 with the hobbywing vs the velineon.
    Thanks!

Another important point with that Velineon ESC it uses 3.5mm banana connectors. So unless you want to fiddle with adaptors best to stick with Traxxas motors. Most everything else uses 4mm in this class.
    Last edited by zedorda; 03-04-2020 at 11:49 PM.