RC Competitor

E Revo VXL 1/10 recommendations

Hey guys, I dont know squat about a e revo, I've never ran electric. I have the 3.3.

A friend of mine is interested in the e revo and wants to know about battery recommendations. Should we buy Traxxas or another brand, and what charger do you recommend?

We'd like to have a charger that is both AC and Vehicle power port capability.

Thank you.

RC Racer
    I run the 3s smc 7200mah 75c batteries in my 2.0 and my xmaxx and love them. The charger I use is a hitech x2ac pro. If I were getting a new charger I might look at one of the higher power units that are available for a pretty good deal. I don't know what ones are good but I'm sure someone else will let you know what they are using.

I run HRB 5000mah 50C 3S in my 2.0. I use a dynamite 4x100w ac/dc charger to charge them. It seems to do a good job. I have heard that the power switch tends to break in it, but I run mine off a power strip, and I use the power switch on that to turn my chargers on/off.

I've also used hobbystar 6200mah 50C 3S, but the added weight was noticeable and hard on the shock pistons, so I'm going to stick with 5000mah packs instead.

I used to run 9000mah 2S packs in it when it was a v1, but they were also heavy and caused suspension damage more often, so I dropped to 7200-7400 2S hard case packs instead. Really helped with big air damage and I didn't lose much run time.

I run the 6200's still in my outcast since it's a typical suspension truck with a flat chassis that is meant to bottom out. Even still, when they start dying on me, I'll just get more 5000mah packs.

Doesn't look like horizon still has the dynamite I run...

This one looks a lot like it and has the same specs:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...k-8517/p488513

Not the best if you want to run high wattage 4S+ packs as it tops out at 100w per port. I set it to 10A on each port, then balance charge my 5000mah 3S packs. It starts at 8A or so as hit hits the wattage limit, but it's still a bit more than 1C. I've been running it at 10A on all 4 ports for over 3 years. When I ran 2S packs, it would run at 10A on each port for most of the charge, then as any lipo charger, it drops off as it gets close to full.

I also have a hitec d7 that I use with a couple parallel boards, it does 2x200w/2x20A. Between the two, I can charge up 8 packs at the same time before I head out.

I have a cheap 150W/12Ax2 charger in my car that I keep there so I don't have to carry chargers around. If I were to replace it, I'd likely get a revolectrics 2x500w dual charger as they are pretty cheap DC chargers:
    http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...ory/GT500DUO_2

Would work fine for AC use, but you need a PSU. Although, I think you only get 500W out of it when it's running at 18V+. So maybe a hota d6+ would be a better option. They put out 150W/15A x2 on AC, double the wattage on DC:
    https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=447
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 02-18-2020 at 06:34 PM.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Competitor
    Thank guys for the replies. Someone just informed us that if we don't go with Traxxas batteries, it voids the warranty. I'll have to check on that.

Quote Originally Posted by CBerry View Post
    Thank guys for the replies. Someone just informed us that if we don't go with Traxxas batteries, it voids the warranty. I'll have to check on that.
    I think what they were trying to say is if you cut the traxxas connectors off the esc and solder different connectors on it will void the warranty. The traxxas connectors are proprietary so most batteries will not have that connection on them. I know smc offers a traxxas compatible connector on their batteries. Might be others, I dont know.

it's alright son, I'll fix it
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

Other brands offer Traxxas plugs, you have to search for them specifically. So if you’re looking for a pair is 3s lipos, say 5000mah, you’d look for 3s 5000mqh trx plug and you should find a bunch. Amazon has some decent prices for lipos with Traxxas plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Does a 2S battery pack 7600 mah give longer run times than a 3S 5000 mah? I get that it runs slower with 2S pack, but who can control it, especially for a couple of novices?
    Last edited by CBerry; 02-20-2020 at 09:12 AM.

RC Competitor
    Olds97, I have a Hota Thunder AC6 charger, I don't have any issues with it. The one you linked to might be a decent one. I've been seeing trx ID cables. Do I need those to use a non traxxas battery and the hota charger? What are the ID cables for?

RC Competitor
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. Mah is the fuel tank. Larger mah=larger fuel tank. 2S vrs 3S refers to voltage. 3S@5000mah=more speed, less range?

Quote Originally Posted by CBerry View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. Mah is the fuel tank. Larger mah=larger fuel tank. 2S vrs 3S refers to voltage. 3S@5000mah=more speed, less range?
    Yes, "S" is how many cells (volts) are wired in series in a pack. Mah is the capacity (fuel tank) of the pack. C rating is another thing you have to be aware of as that is how much current a pack can supply safely. I only run packs that are listed as 50C or more.

The theory with running more S with less capacity vs less S with more capacity is that your less likely to run WOT nearly as much with higher S, so you get similar run times. However, I haven't found that to be very true. After a short while, you get used to more speed, then your running full throttle just as often.

When I used to run 4S in my ERBEv1 (brushless revo version 1), I used 7200/7400/9000mah packs. I'd get around 35-45 minutes run time depending on the packs. I started with the 9000mah packs, but they were so heavy that it was hard on the suspension, so I'd get 45 minutes of run time, but it was at the cost of busting shocks/rod ends. Also added heat since there was more weight to lug around. Then I started running 7200/7400 (smc had both in 2S hard case at one point), which gave me a bit less run time, but was easier on the truck, so that's what I stuck with.

Then I got a true 6S truck... and after running my 6S outcast, the 4S ERBEv1 seemed slow/sluggish. Then I converted my ERBEv1 to a v2 (better drive train to deal with 6S) with a roller chassis and started running 6S in it with 2x3S 5000mah packs. Again, I started with some packs that barely fit, 6200mah 3S. I'd get around 19 minutes of solid run time at the grass bmx track, but again, it was really hard on the suspension, so now I run 5000mah 3S packs in it and get 15-17 minutes of run time.

While I don't run really light packs, I run more typical packs so I can get more run time in general without breakage due to excess weight. I'm not saying the larger packs are an issue for everyone, but once you really start launching it, it does add to the damage in a crash or even just damage due to hard landings when landing properly and flat. I break shock pistons into shards, snap shock ends, shock rockers and bend pivot posts. All of which seems a lot less frequent now that I run the 5000mah 3S packs.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 02-20-2020 at 06:08 PM.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Competitor
    Thanks olds97 and everyone else. We've decided on the Traxxas setup. The problem is lack of description on the charger. It will do off branded batteries but no where in the short description does it say it has balance ports. I had to watch a utube video to find out they had the ports under some covers on the front.