RC Enthusiast

Rustler 4 x 4 brushless binding up?

My E Revo 2.0 bent a rod and dislocated an axle from a cart wheel today. My son was using my rustler 4 x 4 VXL did a cart wheel and now the thing is binding. Iím new to RC cars and donít feel like Iím beating these things; today shook me a bit because I feel like any time they flip or roll a bit Iím going to ruin something!

As stated, the boy was running my rustler in a large Grassfield with a three cell Lipo (part number 2857X). Everything is stock on this thing including the gearing.Going pretty fast came up a grass hill did a little mini jump floated to the side and cart wheeled it three or four times. Everything looked intact and well but when he would give it throttle it made a horrible crunch noise sound. Turned everything off immediately and when moving the model manually front or back it seems to bind up and make this nasty noise. Did he do something blatantly wrong? Like cartwheels are known to kill?

Thoughts on whatís wrong? Stripped gears? Can someone help me understand where I need to go from here being a complete noob? Thanks in advance for any help as always.

RC Enthusiast
    I am a noob as well, so this is just what i would inspect first. I would check the pinion and spur gear to make sure they are not stripped. Then i would check the center drive line to make sure it is not cracked or broken. From there i would be asking on here.
    Nate

Rustler 4x4, TRX-4 Traxx

RC Competitor
    I'd also start at the motor and work your way down from there. It could be that the gear mesh simply changed a little during the crash.

RC Enthusiast
    Will do thank u both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RC Enthusiast
    So I took the back end off. It appears the spur gear had pushed back to the rear of the model on impact and was barely set against pinion. I can see where pinion slightly wore down the sport gear on the edge as it tried to drive the gear but not enough of the gear was seated to do so. So the spur gear is chewed a tiny bit around the one edge.

Reinstalled the spur with slipper. Gear mesh seemed fine. However the model does seem to have a bit of a wind sound in the rear that I never heard before...

Anyone have the spur gear assembly dislocate to the back of the model like that?

Keep the spur and run it or replace?

Idea on winding sound from the rear? Itís not terrible but a bit more than previous.

Didnít touch gear mesh and donít know what slipper is or how to adjust FYI.