4th round of planetary gears. Help!

Hey yíall. I run 3s in my backslash while running mip xduties on 3.2ish tires. I am using the 2382 inside the hot racing sealed diff case running anywhere between 100k, 200k and 500k diff fluid. This is the 4th time having to replace my planetary gears.
    Is there any rhyme or reason anyone can come up with? I am a basher 150%. Iím not easy on the truck by no means. This is a vehicle that my friends/family learn on. But I am for sure sick and tired of replacing these gears.
    Would it be easier just getting a locking spool or trying yet another sealed diff or maybe 1mil diff fluid? Iím up for any ideas. Thanks yíall.
    Hereís a picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MaxxBash; 02-18-2020 at 01:46 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxBash View Post
    Hey yíall. I run 3s in my backslash while running mip xduties on 3.2ish tires. I am using the 2382 inside the hot racing sealed diff case running anywhere between 100k, 200k and 500k diff fluid. This is the 4th time having to replace my planetary gears.
    Is there any rhyme or reason anyone can come up with? I am a basher 150%. Iím not easy on the truck by no means. This is a vehicle that my friends/family learn on. But I am for sure sick and tired of replacing these gears.
    Would it be easier just getting a locking spool or trying yet another sealed diff or maybe 1mil diff fluid? Iím up for any ideas. Thanks yíall.
    Hereís a picture

Look up the FLM super diff. It uses a 4x4 diff in an aluminum case. Iím running my Rustler on 6S with an XO-1 diff. Super smooth, tough, and itís beautiful

RC Qualifier
    Buy the flm super trans, best solution , get rid of the metal driveshafts , too much weight on the diff, get rustler 4x4 driveshafts

Im happy with the super trans, never fix the trans again
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-14-2020 at 01:55 AM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Look up the FLM super diff. It uses a 4x4 diff in an aluminum case. Iím running my Rustler on 6S with an XO-1 diff. Super smooth, tough, and itís beautiful

Awesome Iíll check this out for sure! 6s sounds insane! Iím going to have to look at the XO-1 diff as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    Buy the flm super trans, best solution , get rid of the metal driveshafts , too much weight on the diff, get rustler 4x4 driveshafts
    I ended up stripping two of my rustler 4x4 drive shafts last week. And snapped the xduty axle pin off an old set of xduty axles off this same truck about a week ago as well. Gonna have to stick with them for now

So I read your thread about your set up on your rustler. Crazy awesome looking by the way! Could I use the flm diff in my hr housing? It barely a month old or else Iíd have it ordered already

Last edited by cooleocool; 03-14-2020 at 01:55 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    what body is that , its cool, and are you using the lcg chassis?

what body is that , its cool, and are you using the lcg chassis?
    That is a arrma typhon body. And correct that is the lcg slash chassis

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So I read your thread about your set up on your rustler. Crazy awesome looking by the way! Could I use the flm diff in my hr housing? It barely a month old or else Iíd have it ordered already

Not with the ďSuper DiffĒ(I hate that name). Itís deeper. The XO-1 diff just has the addition of the I bar. Some say itís not needed. I say Iíd like it as strong as possible. I did need to trim the I bar ever so slightly to get it to fit.
    Appreciate the compliment on my build. That thing is quite sick. Canít wait to run it this spring.

RC Qualifier
    Hereís a picture

Maybe to check for some kind of weariness inside your diff housing?

Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    Maybe to check for some kind of weariness inside your diff housing?

I would consider that but this diff has only three packs through it. Brand new other than that. Iíve gone through three different diffs thinking maybe that was the problem.

RC Qualifier
    just order the flm super trans , i gave up too

RC poster
    What trans case are you running? I know many aren't a fan of aluminum stuff but the trans is one thing I am a fan of aluminum on. The rigidity of aluminum keeps gears from misaligning and smoking themselves. RPM trans cases have become known for blowing gears

Quote Originally Posted by Dapepper9 View Post
    What trans case are you running? I know many aren't a fan of aluminum stuff but the trans is one thing I am a fan of aluminum on. The rigidity of aluminum keeps gears from misaligning and smoking themselves. RPM trans cases have become known for blowing gears
    I have a hot racing transmission case. Iíve had it maybe a month so Iím kind of hesitant to purchase a brand new one right now.
    I had a rpm hybrid case for a while after the stock and I agree, I believe it bends far too easily.
    I think Iím going to try a spool locker and if that doesnít work Iíll for with the flm grey case and Ďsuper diffí lol

Does anybody know when flm will restock their different colored tranny housings? Or how long theyíve been out of stock? I donít want the super flashy chrome or other crazy colors. I like that matte grey for sure.

Last edited by cooleocool; 03-14-2020 at 01:56 AM. Reason: merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Does anybody know when flm will restock their different colored tranny housings? Or how long theyíve been out of stock? I donít want the super flashy chrome or other crazy colors. I like that matte grey for sure.

The website has a tech support number. You are basically texting a part owner/machinist. Heíll be able to tell you

I have a hot racing transmission case. Iíve had it maybe a month so Iím kind of hesitant to purchase a brand new one right now.
    I had a rpm hybrid case for a while after the stock and I agree, I believe it bends far too easily.
    I think Iím going to try a spool locker and if that doesnít work Iíll for with the flm grey case and Ďsuper diffí lol

I put a spool locker in a rustler, shortly before switching over to the super tranny. It was really horrible on any high grip surface, and kind of fun for a very short time on loose surfaces. I wouldnít recommend it for general bashing.

Very cool looking rig, by the way

Last edited by cooleocool; 03-14-2020 at 01:56 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    i did heat treat the sun gears with some success, heat them with a torch until red, then drop in water , then put them in a oven or small toaster for 1 hr , seemed to help give them strength, the plastic stock housing is the problem, it flexes and the gears shift

RC Qualifier
    I agree that plastic transmission case have flex but OP have problem with gears inside alu diff case.
    Maybe cup bearings?

You mentioned you have the HR diff case; I have the HR diff inside the HR composite gear case. The first time me/my son stripped the planetary gears I found that both the holes for the output shafts had elongated so I had to buy a new case. I determined that there is not enough metal around the output shafts and eventually they will oval out allowing a bit of play. Next round I'll probably go with the FLM sealed diff.
    The Super Derecho

The website has a tech support number. You are basically texting a part owner/machinist. Heíll be able to tell you.
    Sweet Iíll have to check that out! Thanks grip!

Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    I put a spool locker in a rustler, shortly before switching over to the super tranny. It was really horrible on any high grip surface, and kind of fun for a very short time on loose surfaces. I wouldnít recommend it for general bashing.
    Very cool looking rig, by the way
    Thanks. I bash on loose services mainly and then my driveway is asphalt. Iíll keep that in mind.
    Thanks for the compliment on my rig. I wanted it to be different compared to all other slashes.

i did heat treat the sun gears with some success, heat them with a torch until red, then drop in water , then put them in a oven or small toaster for 1 hr , seemed to help give them strength, the plastic stock housing is the problem, it flexes and the gears shift
    Yea man thatís why I threw out the stock housing bout 2 years ago haha

Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    I agree that plastic transmission case have flex but OP have problem with gears inside alu diff case.
    Maybe cup bearings?
    I will have to swap those out to see. I checked them before the last run and they were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    You mentioned you have the HR diff case; I have the HR diff inside the HR composite gear case. The first time me/my son stripped the planetary gears I found that both the holes for the output shafts had elongated so I had to buy a new case. I determined that there is not enough metal around the output shafts and eventually they will oval out allowing a bit of play. Next round I'll probably go with the FLM sealed diff.
    Thatís interesting. I too am going to try that next and see if I can have more than 3 runs without shredding those planetary gears.

RC Racer
    I’m a bit surprised at your success. I thought those little buggers were just sintered, low carbon, fluff. I wonder if they could be case hardened.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapepper9 View Post
    I have the HR sealed diff inside the RPM gearbox, do you think i'll have any problems in the future?

RC Qualifier
    Probably not on 2S.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMMaster 317 View Post
    I have the HR sealed diff inside the RPM gearbox, do you think i'll have any problems in the future?
    I donít know the power difference between 2s and 3s to tell yíall the truth. I jumped from nimhís to 3s lipos. From what I hear 2s should be completely fine.

Iím still waiting on the response from flm. Iíll keep yíall posted with what they say

Last edited by cooleocool; 03-14-2020 at 01:58 AM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    I don’t know the power difference between 2s and 3s to tell y’all the truth. I jumped from nimh’s to 3s lipos. From what I hear 2s should be completely fine.

Yeah, i only run 2s on my slash, driving it on 3s is too much for me even though i love the speed and power that it gives.

This is my third run on fully locked diff. I might need to loosen up on my slipper or something I like the full lock but not so much in my drive way lol

Flm messaged me back and said probably not since the super diff was built for their tranny. Looks like Iíll be pulling that trigger soon

And I just realized Iím missing one of the shock tower screw that screws into the tranny

Your screw/hinge pin for that left rear arm is unthreading itself too. I have that same problem with one of our Rustlers. The other one has Lunsford hinge pins with e-clips, which so far have stayed put a lot better. STRC makes a nice set too, which uses lock nuts.

Your screw/hinge pin for that left rear arm is unthreading itself too. I have that same problem with one of our Rustlers. The other one has Lunsford hinge pins with e-clips, which so far have stayed put a lot better. STRC makes a nice set too, which uses lock nuts.

Aww yes thanks for that! Itís always the left side that loosens up whether itís the shoulder screw on the front shock or the hinge pins.
    I like the strength of the Lunsford pins but the e-clips are a pain in the butt for me. Iíll have to check out those strc ones.