RC Racer

3 year old XMAXX rebuild upgrade.

Welp, getting some time and money to play with the truck again, so I am looking for ideas.

I only do light bashing. I bought an 8S when they first came out and have only run 6S batts with the speed gear that came with it and that is fine for me.

I am looking do do a complete driveline overhaul. I have broken a couple of spur gears already and am looking to upgrade to a more durable pinion and spur. Also, are there any other parts in that area that need upgrading.

I would like to put in aftermarket diff gears. Is there anyone who makes more durable than stock? I think Traxxas makes some spiral cut gears. Afe they worth the upgrade?

I like all the features of the factory radio, but find it impossible to do anything without the reference sheet, so I am thinking about a mid level radio. It sounds like the Max 5 is the ESC of choice.

Shocks have been trouble free. I have TBR dirt covers on them. They will maybe get new seals and oil.

If the wheel bearings are worn it sound like RPM carriers would be the way to go.

Any other things I should look into?

After I get the mechanicals in I am going to get a new body with lights. But that is a month or 2 out right now.

Any ideas or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    Rpm carriers are good
    Robinson racing pinion gds racing spur
    Max5 only for big motor upgrade
    Futaba or spektrum for tx and rx
    There is not a really good diff upgrade gpm is not the best quality
    Traxxas is ok
    And Iíd say for the price just buy stock when it breaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my .02 with no data on pros and cons, only knowing physic and mechanics. The spiral diff gears may not be worth the cost for bashing. As it will stress the more gears On crashes vs stock.

I'm in the camp of replace once broken. But also know the power of preventive maintenance.

Do you have the BT link module for tx/Rx ? It's much easier to set profile on phone vs on controller.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    This is my .02 with no data on pros and cons, only knowing physic and mechanics. The spiral diff gears may not be worth the cost for bashing. As it will stress the more gears On crashes vs stock.

I'm in the camp of replace once broken. But also know the power of preventive maintenance.

Do you have the BT link module for tx/Rx ? It's much easier to set profile on phone vs on controller.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Am I mixing up the Max 5 and the Max 6? I want good solid dependable with good performance and no glitches.

I have done all the upgrades on the stock setup and it is still glitchy. It ended a play session with my buddy from Austria I last saw 4 years ago. I would rather spend some money and time at the beginning of the season and run as trouble free as possible. Not crazy expensive, just good cost per value upgrades.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    Rpm carriers are good
    Robinson racing pinion gds racing spur
    Max5 only for big motor upgrade
    Futaba or spektrum for tx and rx
    There is not a really good diff upgrade gpm is not the best quality
    Traxxas is ok
    And I’d say for the price just buy stock when it breaks

I have a base model Futaba on my 4Pede and like it. What would be a good mid grade model? I'll start around $2-3 hundred and adjust after doing some research.

I like to be able to brag a bit about cool sounding upgrades.

Plus I got some TBR shock covers and skid plates/A-arm covers that I just love.

RC Competitor
    I would do the max 5 esc, with the 6s motor on 8s it moves pretty good. I use hot racing spur, and/or Traxxas never had issues. Stock diffs are good in the 8s trucks, you can swap them gears in to a 6s truck. I do like alum diff cover and alum cover up top. I also Epoxy the bulkhead to stiffen it. I have trucks with both rpm hubs, and stock. Been happy with stock. . I have only broken 2 on the bmx in years of jumping them. I use stock radio so no help there.
    Other upgrades I am a fan of tbone bumpers, servo, and chassis net. Rpm body save, and roof skids help the body. I break a lot of fans from going huge off ramps have not found a solution to this oh.

How can I edit my post? I stated max 5 and meant to say max 6. Sorry OP.

*this ok?*
    Last edited by Double G; 02-20-2020 at 10:44 AM.

RC Qualifier

3 year old XMAXX rebuild upgrade.

The max5 is too big for stock electronics you will need a mounting plate unless zip ties are your thing and after that fit the motor you need a new mount the new motor new gears etc etc itís better to get the max6 youíll never have any reliability issues

Plus the 6s motor isnít meant to run on 8s

I will take a picture comparing the max5 to max6 in the truck

A futaba 3pv or 4pv and similar are great options from futaba
    A dx5c dx5 pro dx5 rugged are great options from spektrum

TBR bumpers are good but the company is back ordered rn 2+ weeks I think to get stuff shipped or at least that was in January

I also recommend the wheelie bar upgrade

Last edited by Overpowerxmaxx; 02-20-2020 at 09:03 AM.

RC Qualifier
    You can only edit within a couple minutes of posting
    Double g will fix it ??

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TC450 View Post
    How can I edit my post? I stated max 5 and meant to say max 6. Sorry OP.
    No problem, I think I get it but let me clarify.

The Max 5 is larger and for larger motors. The Max 6 is a direct drop in to the stock ESC.

Right?

RC Qualifier
    Yes the 6 is 160amp the 5 is 200amp
    You need the extra amp for big motors

RC Qualifier

RC Racer
    I would do the max 5 esc, with the 6s motor on 8s it moves pretty good. I use hot racing spur, and/or Traxxas never had issues. Stock diffs are good in the 8s trucks, you can swap them gears in to a 6s truck. I do like alum diff cover and alum cover up top. I also Epoxy the bulkhead to stiffen it. I have trucks with both rpm hubs, and stock. Been happy with stock. . I have only broken 2 on the bmx in years of jumping them. I use stock radio so no help there.
    Other upgrades I am a fan of tbone bumpers, servo, and chassis net. Rpm body save, and roof skids help the body. I break a lot of fans from going huge off ramps have not found a solution to this oh.
    Thanks for the info.

I'm not a big air guy so I will prolly just stay with the stock carriers and just keep extra bearings on hand.

I'm assuming the aluminum diff covers help stiffen the entire frame in that area.

I have a TBR bumper on both my trucks and the chassis and A-arm skid plate kits also. Love em.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmarzke View Post
    No problem, I think I get it but let me clarify.

The Max 5 is larger and for larger motors. The Max 6 is a direct drop in to the stock ESC.

Right?
    Correct. And if you 3D print there is nice mount for the on/off switch out on the web for printing.

RC Racer
    Correct. And if you 3D print there is nice mount for the on/off switch out on the web for printing.
    Donít print. Probably never will. Iím sure I could find something on EBay or Amazon.

Had a crash so I am in the process of upgrading the the front end. ESC will have to wait for now. I did buy the Futaba 3PV radio I will install while rebuilding the front end.

If you like your Traxxas radio, but don't like using its' LED menu, you might want to consider keeping your Traxxas radio, but use the Traxxas Link app with your phone instead. It's a lot easier to use than the LED programing way.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    If you like your Traxxas radio, but don't like using its' LED menu, you might want to consider keeping your Traxxas radio, but use the Traxxas Link app with your phone instead. It's a lot easier to use than the LED programing way.
    Yea, I had a Traxxas radio with my 4Pede and liked the the Futaba I changed to a lot more.

I already have the BT module but hate having to pull out the phone to make a little tweak.