Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by osmodiar View Post
    Got them today!
    There's only one ref. sold, 2.8" for front and back.
    8.2oz
    Ah, didn't notice that on the Maxx4S tires that it has 5.5x2.8-2.7. Although, looking at pictures, the size difference appears to be more than 1/10th of an inch. But it does note that they aren't the same front/back.

EDIT:
    Actually, the maxx tires have this on the traxxas page: 2.8" outer, 3.6" inner
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8973

Guessing that's worded backwards.

So, not 100% sure what 5.5x2.8-2.7 is even for.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 03-19-2020 at 12:39 PM.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Ah, didn't notice that on the Maxx4S tires that it has 5.5x2.8-2.7. Although, looking at pictures, the size difference appears to be more than 1/10th of an inch. But it does note that they aren't the same front/back.

EDIT:
    Actually, the maxx tires have this on the traxxas page: 2.8" outer, 3.6" inner
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8973

Guessing that's worded backwards.

So, not 100% sure what 5.5x2.8-2.7 is even for.
    Effectively, for the rustler inner and outer are 2.8", and for the Maxx it's like short course rims, inner is bigger than outer.
    They maybe juste choose to write '-' instead of 'x'???

Edit: As it's 'short course' wheel, maybe 2.7 is the offset?
    Last edited by osmodiar; 03-19-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Wonder if they will sell just the tires... or offer them with 17mm hex's.

I suppose the Maxx4S are kind of close and run 17mm hex's, so maybe they won't. I wouldn't mind throwing a set on my stampede 4x4, but I have 17mm hubs on it.

I would assume that the 2.7" spec on the Maxx's tire is the width (same width as the Badlands MX28). They have splined 17mm hexes.
    Last edited by Squeegie; 03-20-2020 at 11:36 AM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Can you confirm that the front and back are both 2.8"? As opposed to tires like what's on the maxx 4s or what short course trucks usually use with a smaller front ID vs back ID.
    They are the same diameter inside rim and outside rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Can anyone comment on how these perform or how they compare to proline badlands? I was going to get a set of badlands for my Rustler but may hold off and get these sledgehammer tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    They are the same diameter inside rim and outside rim.

Thank you!

If they end up selling them off the rim, I might try a set.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Fox View Post
    Can anyone comment on how these perform or how they compare to proline badlands? I was going to get a set of badlands for my Rustler but may hold off and get these sledgehammer tires.
    So far, for myself, they have been great on pavement, grass, loose dirt, loose gravel, and packed dirt. They balloon a lot less than my badlands mx28s on my stampede 4x4 running a 3650 3500kv brushless motor on stock gearing.

Personally, I like the Sledgehammers better. The Prolines are great too, just balloon way too much for my mild bashing.

Thank you!

If they end up selling them off the rim, I might try a set.
    I think Iíve seen them on 17mm splined wheels and someone had them on their Maxx 4s. If they do offer them on 17mm wheels, Iíd like to grab a set on 17mm.

RC Racer
    I may be in the minority but I don’t like the sledgehammers. They are too big for the rustler imo. Lots of rubbing on the body during braking, too much mass makes the truck almost too twitchy in the air and they just look too big. They are too wide at 2.5 inches.

Placed my order for the slightly smaller and narrower Bandlands 2.8 belted. 5 inches by 2.1 inches. We will see how they compare but I’m fairly certain I’ll be selling the SHs.

RC poster
    Got them and love them. I did tape up the holes inside the rim to keep any water out. Is there ballooning - Yes, but not near as bad as most others i have tried. I run the truck on 3S and my only problem has been breaking rear axles up at the diff stem.

Again - Love this setup, just hard on parts. Trying to decide what axles to go with now.

RC Racer
    Got the Badlands 2.8 Belted today and I am liking the size quite a bit more. Only slightly smaller in diameter, but also narrower. They look more at home than the Sledgehammers. I am thinking this is going to be the sweet spot as they seem to be lighter (don’t have a scale accurate enough to say exactly). Should be easier on the drivetrain and motor heat.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
    I may be in the minority but I donít like the sledgehammers. They are too big for the rustler imo. Lots of rubbing on the body during braking, too much mass makes the truck almost too twitchy in the air and they just look too big. They are too wide at 2.5 inches.

Placed my order for the slightly smaller and narrower Bandlands 2.8 belted. 5 inches by 2.1 inches. We will see how they compare but Iím fairly certain Iíll be selling the SHs.
    After several rides, I agree with you. Now thinking that belted badlands would have been a better choice (the best choice?), but also an other price level.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by osmodiar View Post
    After several rides, I agree with you. Now thinking that belted badlands would have been a better choice (the best choice?), but also an other price level.
    Once I get some clear skies and drier conditions (should be this afternoon, maybe tomorrow), I'll let you know how the Belted Badlands work out. They definitely are lighter, and narrower, and slightly shorter (only like 1/4 inch in diameter total). So we'll see.

They are great on a stampede, that what Iíve been running my set of Sledgehammers on. If you have a stampede toss em on and see if you like them on there.

They are great on a stampede, that what I’ve been running my set of Sledgehammers on. If you have a stampede toss em on and see if you like them on there.

Got a photo? 4wd?

RC poster
    I got a set of these yesterday. I ran them for maybe 10 minutes until my truck shut down from over heating. Itís a VXL 4X4 with stock gearing and 3S battery. I ordered a 9 tooth pinion after this and went back to stock tires for the time being. Seemed a lot harder to control the truck and was more prone to flipping over. It was a lot bouncier. Ground clearance was nice with it. Is this pretty typical to overheat with this setup? Iím still new to this. Seems odd these are made for this truck but donít seem compatible as a straight swap. Am I wrong?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DAN753 View Post
    I got a set of these yesterday. I ran them for maybe 10 minutes until my truck shut down from over heating. Itís a VXL 4X4 with stock gearing and 3S battery. I ordered a 9 tooth pinion after this and went back to stock tires for the time being. Seemed a lot harder to control the truck and was more prone to flipping over. It was a lot bouncier. Ground clearance was nice with it. Is this pretty typical to overheat with this setup? Iím still new to this. Seems odd these are made for this truck but donít seem compatible as a straight swap. Am I wrong?
    Does the 9 tooth pinion provide more torque and less top speed and produce less stress on the gears and motor?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FalconX View Post
    Does the 9 tooth pinion provide more torque and less top speed and produce less stress on the gears and motor?

Yes it will give more torque and less top speed which is better for bashing and 3s use. Even stated in the gearing chart for the owners manual on the rustler. Though it will cause more strain on driveshafts unfortunately. That is the one thing I did break from going with bigger tires and a 9T pinion. I wound replacing the driveshafts and putting smaller proline tires back on.

RC Racer
    I got a set of these yesterday. I ran them for maybe 10 minutes until my truck shut down from over heating. It’s a VXL 4X4 with stock gearing and 3S battery. I ordered a 9 tooth pinion after this and went back to stock tires for the time being. Seemed a lot harder to control the truck and was more prone to flipping over. It was a lot bouncier. Ground clearance was nice with it. Is this pretty typical to overheat with this setup? I’m still new to this. Seems odd these are made for this truck but don’t seem compatible as a straight swap. Am I wrong?
    Pretty much why I got rid of mine. Wasn’t a fan of how the truck performed with them. Yes, more ground clearance, but way more twitchy in the air (due to the mass and weight of them) and rolled a lot more due to the higher center of gravity. The ever so slightly smaller/lighter belted Badlands give you almost the same height, but lighter and much easier to control the truck.

And yeah, mine overheated instantly on 3S w/ them as well on stock gearing. Those things should not be advertised as direct upgrades. Lots of things have to happen to use them. Lower gearing, driveshafts, etc. I’m glad some of you are happy with them...it’s probably just my driving style.

RC poster
    I'll still be good using the 9 tooth pinion on the Talon tires right? I might hold out on going back to the Sledgehammers until I swap in some better driveshafts.

I'll still be good using the 9 tooth pinion on the Talon tires right? I might hold out on going back to the Sledgehammers until I swap in some better driveshafts.
    I'm about to do the swap to the 9 tooth pinion. Still running talons, but I'm tired of my motor running so hot. Definitely won't hurt, unless you're going for top speed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Got a photo? 4wd?

Sorry olds, I honestly didnít notice a reply. Hereís a pic on my stampede 4x4. Lowered the body a bit, no clearance issues.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
    Pretty much why I got rid of mine. Wasnít a fan of how the truck performed with them. Yes, more ground clearance, but way more twitchy in the air (due to the mass and weight of them) and rolled a lot more due to the higher center of gravity. The ever so slightly smaller/lighter belted Badlands give you almost the same height, but lighter and much easier to control the truck.

And yeah, mine overheated instantly on 3S w/ them as well on stock gearing. Those things should not be advertised as direct upgrades. Lots of things have to happen to use them. Lower gearing, driveshafts, etc. Iím glad some of you are happy with them...itís probably just my driving style.
    I have unfortunately had the same issues since I purchased my sledgehammers. I have owned my rustler vxl 4x4 for roughly one month and spent countless time/dollars repairing it due to these tires. I believe these tires are far too large and too heavy to be a "stock upgrade". I run my truck in my back yard which is all grass but kept short and i have one small 1ft jump for fun. I have broken all four axles and blown shock caps, broken caster blocks and steering blocks. Not to mention I am on my second servo as the weight of these tires wreaks havoc on the servo in grass. I am running a mix of 2s and 3s batteries and also ran into over heating issues. I too downsized to a 9 tooth and adjusted the slipper accordingly. due to the increased torque and traction from the tires i ended up damaging my rear differential. that was the last straw for me. i will be putting the tires up for sale unfortunately. very disappointed i couldn't make these tires work and i am now out $80 for tires i cannot use.

Sorry olds, I honestly didn’t notice a reply. Here’s a pic on my stampede 4x4. Lowered the body a bit, no clearance issues.

Thanks!

They look big compared to my 2.8 trenchers.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AJBIRTCH24 View Post
    I have unfortunately had the same issues since I purchased my sledgehammers. I have owned my rustler vxl 4x4 for roughly one month and spent countless time/dollars repairing it due to these tires. I believe these tires are far too large and too heavy to be a "stock upgrade". I run my truck in my back yard which is all grass but kept short and i have one small 1ft jump for fun. I have broken all four axles and blown shock caps, broken caster blocks and steering blocks. Not to mention I am on my second servo as the weight of these tires wreaks havoc on the servo in grass. I am running a mix of 2s and 3s batteries and also ran into over heating issues. I too downsized to a 9 tooth and adjusted the slipper accordingly. due to the increased torque and traction from the tires i ended up damaging my rear differential. that was the last straw for me. i will be putting the tires up for sale unfortunately. very disappointed i couldn't make these tires work and i am now out $80 for tires i cannot use.
    I tried them yesterday for the 1st time and was driving on grass, I don't know if you had the same experience but my car wouldn't even turn properly (massively under-steered) if I wanted to turn while keeping some throttle, my assumption is that the stock servo did not have the power to keep the wheels fully turned due to the added friction of the tires on grass. Did you have the same experience? I have already ordered a much more powerful servo (and faster) to try on (25kg of torque, 0.11sec vs less than 10kg torque and 0.18 sec that the default has).
    Last edited by Vulgi; 06-15-2020 at 03:29 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgi View Post
    I tried them yesterday for the 1st time and was driving on grass, I don't know if you had the same experience but my car wouldn't even turn properly (massively under-steered) if I wanted to turn while keeping some throttle, my assumption is that the stock servo did not have the power to keep the wheels fully turned due to the added friction of the tires on grass. Did you have the same experience? I have already ordered a much more powerful servo (and faster) to try on (25kg of torque, 0.11sec vs less than 10kg torque and 0.18 sec that the default has).
    Yes i had the same issues. Traxxas actually sent me another servo but the same issue. I purchased a larger servo but i will still most likely hold off from ever installing my sledgehammers again. They just cause too much carnage to my rustler. its a shame because the traction and added ground clearance were exactly what i was looking for.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes i had the same issues. Traxxas actually sent me another servo but the same issue. I purchased a larger servo but i will still most likely hold off from ever installing my sledgehammers again. They just cause too much carnage to my rustler. its a shame because the traction and added ground clearance were exactly what i was looking for.
    Have you at least tried them with the larger servo? Would be nice to have your feedback even if it was just for a 1 min test.

RC poster
    Have you at least tried them with the larger servo? Would be nice to have your feedback even if it was just for a 1 min test.
    Yes, I did install an eco power 110t servo (link below). The eco power has double the torque at 280 oz-in vs the Traxxas 125 oz-in. I was realy disappointed because one I couldn't return the servo I did not need and also there was no noticeable difference from the stock 2075 traxxas servo. I don't know if its fighting the servo saver or what, but once in the grass the truck/tire combo dose not want to steer. On the streets its no problem but the soft compound of the tire in the grass just grabs to well. Who ever thought id complain about too much traction. Long story short these tires seem to wreak havoc on my vehicle and whether its my driving style or the tires I have them for sale on craigslist currently. I plan to get a set of proline badlands MX28 which are actually .5" smaller in diameter and lighter according to what i found online. If anyone knows if this is true or has photo comparisons i would love to see the difference.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecopowe...p-110t/p734713

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, I did install an eco power 110t servo (link below). The eco power has double the torque at 280 oz-in vs the Traxxas 125 oz-in. I was realy disappointed because one I couldn't return the servo I did not need and also there was no noticeable difference from the stock 2075 traxxas servo. I don't know if its fighting the servo saver or what, but once in the grass the truck/tire combo dose not want to steer. On the streets its no problem but the soft compound of the tire in the grass just grabs to well. Who ever thought id complain about too much traction. Long story short these tires seem to wreak havoc on my vehicle and whether its my driving style or the tires I have them for sale on craigslist currently. I plan to get a set of proline badlands MX28 which are actually .5" smaller in diameter and lighter according to what i found online. If anyone knows if this is true or has photo comparisons i would love to see the difference.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecopowe...p-110t/p734713
    Thank you for your feedback!

Sorry olds, I honestly didn’t notice a reply. Here’s a pic on my stampede 4x4. Lowered the body a bit, no clearance issues.

I forgot to ask if you have a link to the wheels/tires you used specifically, or are they just the 12mm ones?

I forgot to ask if you have a link to the wheels/tires you used specifically, or are they just the 12mm ones?
    The Sledgehammer tires that are on my stampede 4x4 are the ones that are made for the Rustler 4x4, 12mm hex. I bought the whole set off eBay, canít remember the vendor.

RC poster
    Are you guys fine running the stock pinion with the sledgehammers?
    Instagram/Facebook/Youtube: @Addictedtoleds

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Addictedtoleds View Post
    Are you guys fine running the stock pinion with the sledgehammers?
    Absolutely NOT. You can barely run this stupid motor / ESC on stock pinion on 3s with the Talon tires. To clarify, the problem is heat.

Absolutely NOT. You can barely run this stupid motor / ESC on stock pinion on 3s with the Talon tires. To clarify, the problem is heat.
    The Rustler 4x4 was shipped with a set up designed for a 2s battery and the Talon tires. To use 3s, or with any other modification, the gearing may need to be changed. The way to know is to keep an eye on motor temperatures. It may work ok for you, depending on many factors.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    The Rustler 4x4 was shipped with a set up designed for a 2s battery and the Talon tires. To use 3s, or with any other modification, the gearing may need to be changed. The way to know is to keep an eye on motor temperatures. It may work ok for you, depending on many factors.

I agree, and that is absolutely fine but even by gearing down, having correctly adjusted mesh, having the truck in tip top condition (no extra friction factors etc) and adding fans I still get heating issues (not as severe obviously) running it on 3s which IMO is not acceptable.

I agree, and that is absolutely fine but even by gearing down, having correctly adjusted mesh, having the truck in tip top condition (no extra friction factors etc) and adding fans I still get heating issues (not as severe obviously) running it on 3s which IMO is not acceptable.
    As always, it depends on usage. I don't have Sledgehammers, but I live in a place where the ambient temperature is generally well over 90* pretty constantly. I had no issues with 3s on the stock gearing, after adding an ESC fan and motor fan. I even ran it with a chassis cover and didn't have any major issues. I have since geared down and am not currently running the cover. Still no problems. I'll buy the Sledgehammers at a later date.

As always, it depends on usage. I don't have Sledgehammers, but I live in a place where the ambient temperature is generally well over 90* pretty constantly. I had no issues with 3s on the stock gearing, after adding an ESC fan and motor fan. I even ran it with a chassis cover and didn't have any major issues. I have since geared down and am not currently running the cover. Still no problems. I'll buy the Sledgehammers at a later date.

Probably also matters if your running on grass a lot or not. I know my trucks run far cooler at skate parks than they do when I run them at the grass bmx track. Granted, I'm running WOT more often at the grass track, but I gear them to run there without overheating and live with them being a bit slower than I'd like everywhere else.

Probably also matters if your running on grass a lot or not. I know my trucks run far cooler at skate parks than they do when I run them at the grass bmx track. Granted, I'm running WOT more often at the grass track, but I gear them to run there without overheating and live with them being a bit slower than I'd like everywhere else.
    Exactly my point. You can't blame Traxxas for how you drive your car. If it overheats, it means something needs attention, or you are using it in a way it wasn't designed for (abuse).

RC poster
    Exactly my point. You can't blame Traxxas for how you drive your car. If it overheats, it means something needs attention, or you are using it in a way it wasn't designed for (abuse).

Hey all any more user reviews on these? - I ordered a set way back when think they may be due soon. I''m running all stock on 3S- rarely run at WOT unless I have a lot of room and normally only shortish bursts. Most of the time I've got it on 40% capped throttle in training mode for when the kids grab hold of it!

Keen for these as we do a lot of woods running & hoping the extra size and height will benefit. Will probably swap back to the stock tyres for pavement runs/training off etc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12