RC Competitor

MIP X-Duty rubbing turnbuckle (front)

Anyone ever experience this? Itís only the LF corner.

I just ordered some 2.8 trenchers and am doing a SlasherMT build, so Iíll be flattening the suspension at that point. Just curious as to why this may have happened? Maybe my turnbuckle is curved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    It may be a little curved but traxxas didn’t design the car’s clearance with MIP’s future offering in mind

Try one of the upper mounting holes of turnbuckle on the shock tower if you are using the lower ones, and move it out if you are using one of the inner ones.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    It may be a little curved but traxxas didnít design the carís clearance with MIPís future offering in mind

Try one of the upper mounting holes of turnbuckle on the shock tower if you are using the lower ones, and move it out if you are using one of the inner ones.
    Yep, Iím adjusting everything once my new tire setup comes in. Just curious if any one else had had this issue, or why itís only one side.

I imagine MIP designed these to clear the slash suspension. So with only 1 side doing it, my guess is the turnbuckle is probably bent.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have MIPs, don't rub.

Quote Originally Posted by aceniza View Post
    Anyone ever experience this? It’s only the LF corner.

I just ordered some 2.8 trenchers and am doing a SlasherMT build, so I’ll be flattening the suspension at that point. Just curious as to why this may have happened? Maybe my turnbuckle is curved?

That is a first for me. I have never seen or noticed that before. You may want to make sure everything is straight in your front end.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Where the turnbuckle attaches to the shock tower, it looks like you're using the wrong ball joint or have it installed backward.

You can't really tell in your picture, but if the turnbuckle is basically touching the shock tower, it's too close. It's supposed to be spaced away from the shock tower, which also gives it slightly more clearance away from the CVD.

Here, you can see the ball joint, screwed into the shock tower, spaced away from the shock tower where the turnbuckle attaches. It gives a good 1/8th inch gap between the shock tower and the turnbuckle.

This in turn, allows the CVD enough clearance from the turnbuckle:

But it looks like I have a totally different piece. Mine is just a "ball" that the turnbuckle pops onto the end of. The ball itself has a hex socket in it, and requires no separate screw like the one in your picture.
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 02-22-2020 at 02:13 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    Where the turnbuckle attaches to the shock tower, it looks like you're using the wrong ball joint or have it installed backward.

You can't really tell in your picture, but if the turnbuckle is basically touching the shock tower, it's too close. It's supposed to be spaced away from the shock tower, which also gives it slightly more clearance away from the CVD.
    Nope, mine are spaced off the shock tower via the ball joint thing.

I checked yesterday, one of my rears was actually popped off. But this is in the front.

With everything being plastic, the only thing I can think of is a very slight curve in the turnbuckle.
    My new tires should be here on Monday, If I have time I may pull the shocks and refill.

With 2.8 trenchers, and the arms adjusted relatively flat, what weight would you guys recommend for a basher?

The little SCT tires struggle a bit in rougher terrain, and one of them come unglued almost every session. Put some old ECX SCT tires on them and despite them having almost no wear, they must be rotted since Iím pulling 4 wheel burnouts and no wheelies