RC Enthusiast

8s Xmaxx goes into error and half power

Earlier racing my sons truck with my 8s xmaxx on fairly new 6700 traxxas packs, the truck all of a sudden went to half power and had a red light show up on the ESC. Turned it off for a few minutes, then back on and all was good. Did it again after a few high speed runs. Any idea ? I recall reading there was an issue with these 8s esc that came in these trucks ? Just started doing these, Iíve been running it about 20 cycles.

Well we kinda got to know what red light and if solid or blinking. Here is the esc light code chart.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sounds like the LVC turned on. Next time do as Acidic01 suggested, that would tell you whats happening.

I do agree it sounds like LVC. But not enough details to know. Which lights on....

I had same kind of issue with my lectron pro batteries after a few months. Speed run. On a full charge and it would then cut out into lvc stage 1. I tried a number of things to fix but never found a root cause. think it was just those batteries not good enough 50c . Would only happen on a speed run on payment. I went to smc batteries 90c and yet to see that happen on those batteries.

Notice pic of esc codes not really readable due to downsizing from Tapatalk...

Link https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R00.pdf

Page 19 of xmaxx manual.

RC Racer
    Crapped out battery.

RC Enthusiast
    I’ll run it again today and verify the light. I want to say it was a solid red on the Key symbol. Green was still in as well. The packs had just been freshly charged.

The packs may be fully charged but they demand from the ESC/motor could be too much that they drop enough to hit LVC then recover and look fine at rest. You may want to consider contacting Traxxas Support and see what they say about the electronics and batteries.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, just drove it and about a minute into the run it thru the error. Solid green and solid red on the V light. Turned it off and back on and ran again. Ran a good 5 minutes full power runs and it was fine.

RC Qualifier
    Hi, ins't a key symbol, is a thermometer icon, I think you have a temperature issue, and the ESC cut in this case for protection. Look at the fans in the motor heatsink and ESC body, maybe one of them not works properly.

It's the batteries. Contact Traxxas. If under warranty. Probably can get a new set.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    It's the batteries. Contact Traxxas. If under warranty. Probably can get a new set.

I agree with this, is the led V stays in solid red, batteries probably fails.

RC Enthusiast
    Seems batteries are ok, they charge fine and discharge as they should. All cells stay even threw the cycles. Wondering if it might be the esc

Quote Originally Posted by gapple12 View Post
    Seems batteries are ok, they charge fine and discharge as they should. All cells stay even threw the cycles. Wondering if it might be the esc
    How do you know? Have you tried the batteries in another Xmaxx? Post #6 says the ESC is hot, post #8 says it went into LVC. Bad batteries can cause these issues too. If you get a new ESC and you do have weak batteries, you will have the same problem again.

I would run it a couple of more times to see what code (if any) the ESC is giving you. Also if the batteries turn on the LVC on the ESC and you unplug the batteries and plug them back in to keep using is asking for trouble.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Iíd refer to DoubleGís earlier comment. Traxxas batteries are not up to high load tasks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    The C rate of the Traxxas batteries is probably low, the hard runs with high power demand needs a higher C rating batteries, I use a 110C ULTIMATE Lipos.

RC Enthusiast
    Talked to Traxxas, they think it’s the batteries and offered a discount for new ones once I send these in. Not sure if I want to get these packs again or go for something with more punch.

RC Qualifier
    Talked to Traxxas, they think it’s the batteries and offered a discount for new ones once I send these in. Not sure if I want to get these packs again or go for something with more punch.
    In your case, I would buy a high C rate ones, are the better choice, in my opinion.

RC Enthusiast
    What are some good packs that fit this truck in the 6000-7000 size ?

I real like smc-racing Look at menu and fit guide then car. For options.

RC Enthusiast
    I was looking at SMC batteries but they only show the Traxxas style first gen connector. I am not familiar with different Traxxas connectors. Would these work with my 8s xmaxx ?
    Last edited by gapple12; 02-24-2020 at 08:25 PM.

I was looking at SMC batteries but they only show the Traxxas style first gen connector. I am not familiar with different Traxxas connectors. Would these work with my 8s xmaxx ?
    Yes. Those connectors will fit on your xmaxx. For xmaxx I got the 9400mha packs as they have the lowest cost per mha and I run the 1st Gen Traxxas plug. They are reverse comparability with the new id plugs.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Yes. Those connectors will fit on your xmaxx. For xmaxx I got the 9400mha packs as they have the lowest cost per mha and I run the 1st Gen Traxxas plug. They are reverse comparability with the new id plugs.

That’s great, thank you. Do they fit in the xmaxx stock tray with stock lock down ?

Yes. I do have to remove one of the foam piece that was in there that helps hold my 5000mha gen ace (those batteries came with car and I had to mod the pack to make them fit right)

They fit just fine for me.