RC poster

What gearing should I use when using 3s?

I've been running on a 2s battery for about a year now on my 4x4 vxl. I'm upgrading to a 3s and wondering what gearing would be best? I mainly drive on grass and the occasional street. I was thinking about using a 14t pinion and a 54t spur gear. Will this set up work for me? Thanks for any input.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxDuuuval View Post
    I've been running on a 2s battery for about a year now on my 4x4 vxl. I'm upgrading to a 3s and wondering what gearing would be best? I mainly drive on grass and the occasional street. I was thinking about using a 14t pinion and a 54t spur gear. Will this set up work for me? Thanks for any input.
    TBO from what i have learned and experienced, you don't need to change the gearing AT ALL when switching from 2s to 3s unless doing so causes overheating problems. To help you out here is what i think you should you do, go down a few teeth on the pinion from what you already have, and if you don't have one get a temp gun and check the temps occasionaly to see what gearing is most suitible for you on 3s and does not cause that much overheating, and if you want extra cooling so that you don't have to change the gearing that much just get a motor or an ESC fan, or even better just get both and that way you can still avoid overheating with without making your truck slower