RC poster

Scary Lipo experience

Just wanted to share this to see if anyone knows what happened.

Iím waiting on a fireproof LiPo bag, but in the meantime I used a large aluminum pot. To charge / store my batteries. After charging, I pulled the plug from the charger. As soon as the banana plug touched the aluminum pot, sparks started shooting from the contact point.

The other end of the charging cable (TRX) was still connected to the Lipo. It looked like someone was welding and it burned a hole in the aluminum pot. Was this a stupid mistake, or something faulty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Brew View Post
    ...Iím waiting on a fireproof LiPo bag, but in the meantime I used a large aluminum pot. To charge / store my batteries. After charging, I pulled the plug from the charger. As soon as the banana plug touched the aluminum pot, sparks started shooting from the contact point.

The other end of the charging cable (TRX) was still connected to the Lipo. It looked like someone was welding and it burned a hole in the aluminum pot. Was this a stupid mistake, or something faulty?...
    With the plug still attached to the battery and the leads loose to touch the pot, you just shorted the battery. The positive and negative ends of the battery made contact through the metal pot. You should all ways disconnect battery first. It could have been worse. How does the battery look? It could be damaged. Mark this as a learning experience.

RC poster
    Ah that makes sense. Thank you. The battery seems fine. No signs of damage, and it still takes a charge.

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Brew View Post
    Ah that makes sense. Thank you. The battery seems fine. No signs of damage, and it still takes a charge.

I've known people to use a 12v car battery to weld parts... No damage to the batteries.

Why? Why did you not unplug the battery first? Throwing around two live ends is not a smart idea.
    The Super Derecho

Lipo bags are nice, but false piece of mind if you store lipos inside your home. At the very least, get an ammo box and drill a few vent holes in it, or just remove the lid gasket.

https://www.amazon.com/Solid-Tactica.../dp/B01LZPYN8M

RC Competitor
    Get a ammo can from the army surplus store for like $10

I hadnít thought of that! As long as itís a quality item designed to hold real ammo Iím sure it would be fine. Problem with those surplus stores is a lot of the products they sell are novelty items. I wouldnít skimp on price when it comes to lipo storage in the home.

RC poster
    I just picked one of these up from Harbor Freight, it looks just like the amazon one, but half the price. And if you go to the coupons section you can get 20% off which makes it even better.

https://www.harborfreight.com/50-cal...ugg_q=ammo+box

RC poster
    Does anyone know what pressures are created when a LIPO destroys itself? I am going to use an ammo box and my plan is to fill the ammo box with fire proof spray foam but am curious how many and what size holes need to be drilled into the ammo box to relieve the pressure enough to be able to keep the lid close tight. Thanks for your input.

RC Racer
    Cannonc:
    The short answer (from me) is 'No'
    The slightly longer answer (again, just from me) is that it's going to depend on a large number of variables
    1) the number of cells in the battery in question
    2) the mAh rating of the battery that goes up in flame.
    3) the voltage that the battery has been charged to at the time of failure
    4) the number of batteries that are involved (assuming that one has more than one battery in the case when one fails), and how quickly they fail.

There are others on the forum that might have better info than that I've provided (or maybe even have done some experiments and taken measurements), but I can't be of much help on this subject. Sorry.

Good Luck, Have Fun, and be safe! --BillJ

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply Bill. I viewed a number of videos on YouTube and they all just remove the rubber lid gasket. I only have one 5000 battery so I am fairly confident that I'll be okay with the rubber gasket removal.

RC Qualifier
    I use a ammo can, no holes or removing the lid gasket. I want to starve the battery from a source of oxygen should they catch fire. Explosion i'm not so worried about.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I use a ammo can, no holes or removing the lid gasket. I want to starve the battery from a source of oxygen should they catch fire. Explosion i'm not so worried about.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    When one of the chemicals decomposes it releases oxygen. Starving it in an air tight box only starves it from the air outside of the battery.
    A couple of year ago additional flame retarding chemicals was added to lithium batteries. Whether this has passed down too the batteries we use I’m unsure, but probably not. Other methods is too use Graphene, this is used to stop the release of oxygen as you may of seen batteries labelled with that name, but I doubt that it has any graphene. These have been advertised as high performance batteries, not for the reason graphene is actually used for.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.