RC Enthusiast

Best overall tires?

Hi guys! If you look at my posts, you will see the last time I asked the community for help, it was before I bought my pede. Since then I learned a lot and this place is my go to when I need info. I just wanted to thank you all before asking another question

I am currently running this:

-MAX10 Hobbywing ESC with 3652 3300KV motor combo
    -3S lipo
    -15 tooth pinion gear
    -Tekno front and rear axles
    -GPM shock towers, shocks and front C hubs.
    -RPM wide front bumper

My question is this, I currently have traction problems. I cannot, for the life of me, go near 3/4 throttle. Even if I go gradually, I always loose traction on 4 wheels and the truck spins around. Alignment is the same as original settings... What are the best tires for overall terrain? Like asphalt, sand and gravel. This is mostly for bashing, I am looking at duratrax Hatchet right now, What do you guys recommend?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So Iíd get Badlands MX28ís. Iíd also look into thicker diff fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What tires are you using currently, are they the talon 2.8s? They should grip well enough that you shouldnít have traction issues. Maybe lower the punch setting on the esc if you can, see if that helps. And as grip sugggested, check your diffs and change the diff oil out for thicker oil. What tires are you looking for? Are you looking for a specific tread pattern?

RC Enthusiast
    @Gripdog badlands are good on asphalt?

@Rocketzx I am currently using original tires. I will lower the punch setting this week but it will be at the lowest setting possible. I am currently looking at the Proline TSL super swamper or the Proline trenchers or the Duratrax hatchet. I'll be honest, I chose theses ones cause I like the looks but I would be willing to go with a good suggestion.

As the two of you suggested diff. oil. Can I ask how it would help with traction? Maybe it's because I'm new in the RC world but I cannot figure out how this detail can help...

I just figured, it might be important to mention I'm between -20 and 0 degrees celsius right now where I'm located.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-14-2020 at 02:10 AM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee78 View Post
    Hi guys! If you look at my posts, you will see the last time I asked the community for help, it was before I bought my pede. Since then I learned a lot and this place is my go to when I need info. I just wanted to thank you all before asking another question

I am currently running this:

-MAX10 Hobbywing ESC with 3652 3300KV motor combo
    -3S lipo
    -15 tooth pinion gear
    -Tekno front and rear axles
    -GPM shock towers, shocks and front C hubs.
    -RPM wide front bumper

My question is this, I currently have traction problems. I cannot, for the life of me, go near 3/4 throttle. Even if I go gradually, I always loose traction on 4 wheels and the truck spins around. Alignment is the same as original settings... What are the best tires for overall terrain? Like asphalt, sand and gravel. This is mostly for bashing, I am looking at duratrax Hatchet right now, What do you guys recommend?
    What size spur are you running? I run a max10 sct and now hobbystar 3665 3100kv motor on 3S. I really like the 2.8" trenchers. Been running them quite a while. However, my gearing is likely quite a bit lower than what your running. Even with what it has, the motor/esc would overheat on me after about 20 minutes or so with 3665 motor and 14/54 gearing. With the HW 3660sl, it would overheat earlier.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Enthusiast
    I'm running original 54 tooth spur gear. I am really tempted by the Duratrax hatchet or the trenchers. Figured I'll go Super swampers only if I decide to go mudding This makes one less decision to make.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    When you increase the weight of your diff fluid, you have more of a locked axle. It will feel and be more planted, or so squirrelly. Laying down power on a short wheel base is a challenge

RC Qualifier
    I just figured, it might be important to mention I'm between -20 and 0 degrees celsius right now where I'm located.
    My preferred winter tyres are the Duratrax Hatchet MT's (= Louise RC MT-Cyclone) due to the very soft compound. They are directional but I run them "backwards" to minimize understeer on snow and ice. Imo, the rubber compound on the Proline tyres are too firm to grip under icy conditions (but they are more wear resistant than the Duratrax tyres). The Proline Trencher's understeer a lot on snow and ice.

A major disadvantage with Duratrax 2.8 MT's is that they are almost impossible to find unmounted, and they are often mounted quite wobbly.
    Furthermore, the foam inserts are very soft and they tend to balloon a lot. That's why I only use 2S geared 12/52 with a 3800kV motor, or 14/52 with a 3200kV motor (top speed around 52 km/h / 32mph).
    Last edited by Viking; 02-24-2020 at 07:03 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    @Viking Did you drive the Hatchet during summer time? How are they?

Ya I have to say the Duratrax six packs that Iíve had for a year balloon pretty easy. They grip very well though, just balloon really bad. They arenít the worst for ballooning though, but you get what you pay for.

I ran a set of the 2.8" hatchets on my ejato for a while. The foams went flat in a very short time and I had to unmount/replace foams in the powered wheels as they just fell apart and made the tires out of balance.

If possible, find them unmounted and get some better foams!

They are a very soft rubber that do grip pretty well, but yet hold up to running on concrete.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    Also check your TSM, I put mine at half way.. I think I remember shimmying, and spinning out of it was more than half up on certain surfaces

Trenchers are great for when it gets warmer but still do a fair job in the snow. The hatchets do work better in the cold. The Badlands are super grippy no matter the surface, but might not be the best asphalt tire. All would be better than stock talons in freezing weather.

Can't have a tire that does it all, hope you find one you like!

RC poster
    I absolutely love the duratrax six pack MTís. They are an awesome wheel and tire for a great price. They look bad *** too.

RC Racer
    I started with Louise MT Pioneer (same as Duratrax Lockup), they have a Trencher-like thread pattern

I really like them, but they balloon and I had the same issues als olds97_lss : the foams went flat after 8 months, they fell apart. I unglued the tires and replaced the foams.
    I guess some dirt got through the holes of the rims and shredded the foam.
    I bought a new pair and it looks like the foams on these are firmer.

RC Qualifier
    @Viking Did you drive the Hatchet during summer time? How are they?
    I have just a couple of runs with the Hatchet's on gravel and asphalt (since I save them for winter use). They grip very well on both surfaces, and on grass too. But they seem to wear faster than the Proline Trenchers and also the Proline Mashers.
    On asphalt I use the Duratrax Bandito MT's. The Bandito's are great on asphalt when warmed up, but useless on gravel and grass.
    For mixed use during the summer season the Trenchers are great, but imo the Mashers are a little better on asphalt (they are more stable when accelerating hard and balloon a little less). I also prefer the Mashers over the Trenchers on snow. The Mashers also perform better when mounted "backwards" on snow, but they have less grip than the Duratrax Hatchet's.

I don't know if Duratrax has improved the quality on the foam inserts lately, but that's about the only drawback together with the fact that they can be difficult to find unmounted. I always prefer to glue the tyres myself.

RC Enthusiast
    Alright! Thanks guys! I will probably go with the trenchers and go from there. Will keep you updated when done.