Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Storage/Display

  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    25

    Storage/Display

    Hey folks, I've got a question and I'm sure it's been answered. But I'm still a serious forum newbie. I do have my UDR, 2 Slashes, Nitro Sport, TRX4 Defender, and a TRX4 Sport. I'm getting more and more into collecting the Traxxas vehicles as well as running them.

    I'm finally building a bigger hobby room and I am curious about displaying/storing the vehicles. I've heard several schools of thought on this. What are your thoughts on setting the cars on their tires? Is this bad for the tires? I've been keeping them off but I've had tires go bad just doing that.

    If there is a thread that already discusses this, please point me in the right direction. I've tried a few searches but, like I said, I'm still a forum kinda newbie.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    2,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
    ...What are your thoughts on setting the cars on their tires? Is this bad for the tires? I've been keeping them off but I've had tires go bad just doing that...
    That's odd. I've never had any go bad. My summit has 10yr tires on it.
    It wouldn't hurt anything if you store your vehicles with weight off their tires.

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    That's odd. I've never had any go bad. My summit has 10yr tires on it.
    It wouldn't hurt anything if you store your vehicles with weight off their tires.
    I was a little disappointed to be honest. I put new tires on a Rustler and then parked it on the rack, wheels suspended, and the front wheels cracked. I admit I hadn't used it in over a year but still. It was inside the house.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier Rocketzx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    531
    Iíve always read that you should keep the wheels off the ground, as to not let the foam break down inside and to keep the tires from getting misshapen from the weight of the rc. But Iíll admit, Iíve left my 9lb Kraton 4s sit in its wheels for about a month and the tires didnít have any odd ball shape to them. So idk. Once I get some space cleared out Iím going to try my best to keep them off their wheels.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    2,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
    I was a little disappointed to be honest. I put new tires on a Rustler and then parked it on the rack, wheels suspended, and the front wheels cracked. I admit I hadn't used it in over a year but still. It was inside the house.
    Mine are down in my basement, no sunlight. I have seen what sunlight does to rubber and plastic. That's the main thing I worry about when storing anything. I've seen houses that looked good on one side and the other side looked like it was bleached.

  6. #6
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Mine are down in my basement, no sunlight. I have seen what sunlight does to rubber and plastic. That's the main thing I worry about when storing anything. I've seen houses that looked good on one side and the other side looked like it was bleached.
    I totally get that. My last house had a section that never actually saw the sun due to the shape of the house. I'll probably just set it up so that the wheels have the weight off of them.

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    272
    While I've never left my cars sitting on their tires for more than a few days, I sort of suspect more superstition in myself than good reason for doing so.

    Maybe it matters to a pro-level racer, that a flat spot develops which the naked eye can't see. The flat spot probably goes away after several rotations of the wheel, but for those first few laps, I can't give my competitors the edge!

    I don't really have a good reason to keep my trucks off of the wheels, but I do it anyway. In case the RC gods ever come over to my house, I'd hate for them to be displeased by seeing my cars' weight resting on the tires.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier MAC FAB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    859
    Just think about a vintage care, garage find. Suspension sags, tires are jacked up..... Save the springs, tires/foams... by keeping them on a stand.

  9. #9
    That is odd. I've never had any turn sour.

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier justin13703's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    275
    Mine have sat for many months at a time without being moved. Never had any issues. I never take the wheels off or lift them up.

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    111
    Being an "old racer"........I would take the wheels off to take a load off them......I would set it on a block or something....never had any tires go flat!

  12. #12
    RC Racer MaxxPain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    237
    I think this is a great idea. It takes up little room and holds lots of cars.

    UDR, Xmaxx, Rally, Slash 4X4, TRX-4, Summit 1/16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •