RC poster

Upgrading to Max 6 1100kv combo, what do I need?

Hello guys,

After a few years of good service my motor failed and I will need to replace it. Unfortunately the cost in Canada for a new motor is pretty high, so I’ve decided to swap out the esc and motor since it’s basically the same price. Will the new motor work with the stock motor mounts? Or do I need different ones? Also what about cooling? Can I use the stock setup? Or can I go with out any cooling fans/heat sink with the new motor? I plan to keep using my Traxxas batteries so I’ll probably just take the connectors off my vxl-8 or buy a set and install those. I’m happy with the stock 8s performance, it’s more then enough for me. So I’ll probably keep the same gear ratio. I’m a light to moderate basher, I take it pretty easy on my trucks compared to some! I’m still on my original tires! Lol.
    Last edited by DHC8; 02-29-2020 at 05:59 PM.

RC poster
    Unless someone has a stock motor to sell me??

RC Qualifier
    You will need a new mount for that motor as traxxas used special end caps
    The only people I know that make a mount is wfo rc I like there stuff a lot they are on Facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DHC8 View Post
    Unless someone has a stock motor to sell me??
    Might get deleated but if it does I’ll pm you
    Check this out.
    You will be looking at $450 for that motor and esc
    Another $200 for motor mount and gears.
    97 usd brand new from a parts breaker. I’ve ordered lots from them they are Awsome.
    https://jennysrc.com/collections/tra...nt=25172361414

RC Racer
    Keep your eyes on the site they usually restock on tuesdays.
    That motor is currently sold out.

RC poster
    Got it! Thanks.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    You will need a new mount for that motor as traxxas used special end caps
    The only people I know that make a mount is wfo rc I like there stuff a lot they are on Facebook

Looks like very nice stuff! However the items they sell are all for the MAX 5 motor combo. I was just going to stick with the max 6 and same “size” motor as stock.

I figured since a max 6 combo is nearly the same price as the stock motor I’d go that route. (Unless find one on Jenny’s of course) I don’t need a full Max 5 setup and conversion. I was hoping that the max 6 combo was pretty much as much of a drop in as possible ( aside from the motor mount of course)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks like very nice stuff! However the items they sell are all for the MAX 5 motor combo. I was just going to stick with the max 6 and same “size” motor as stock.

I figured since a max 6 combo is nearly the same price as the stock motor I’d go that route. (Unless find one on Jenny’s of course) I don’t need a full Max 5 setup and conversion. I was hoping that the max 6 combo was pretty much as much of a drop in as possible ( aside from the motor mount of course)
    It is. However the ESC may not
    Keep up with the motor. What motor did you get?

RC Racer
    Most economical way is to buy a stock motor from Jenny and upgrade the esc to a max 6. I have one of my xmaxx set up that way. One has a max 5 and 56113 hobbywing it will do a standing backflip which is cool but..… it’s hard to control. Plus the stock 4s 6700 mah batteries can’t put out the amps the motor needs. So then it’ll be batteries too. I imagine you have traxxas 4s batteries?
    When you’re placing your order at Jennys check out all the xmaxx stuff a spare set of control arms is never a bad thing to have!
    They charge for shipping but you dint pay anything extra it gets delivered to your P.O. Box. They are great to deal with!

RC Qualifier
    If you pm Brian he does sell a combo with the small motor but I think he might be redesigning it do he only makes on mount instead of two different ones

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    It is. However the ESC may not
    Keep up with the motor. What motor did you get?

Don’t have the motor yet, I have ordered the combo through my LHS. I ordered the 5687SL 1100kv motor as it seemed to be the closest direct replacement to the stock motor. From what I’ve seen the ESC is pretty easy to install nothing to involved. I am not afraid of modifying or working on my cars (have many many years in RC) I just don’t want to....LOL. I just want it to “work” and be reliable. I have cars that I enjoy modifying and trying different things, but the X-Maxx I just want to keep it as close to stock as possible.

That being said I am also open to mods and upgrades that make sense when needed. With the X-Maxx I mod/upgrade when needed, if needed. So far for me the only non-stock item are my front RPM arms, as the stock ones are a bit of a weak point.

Clubin, I do have the Traxxas 4s 6700s and have several, so I’d prefer to keep them, again another reason for choosing the max 6 combo. I think I will go with your suggestion, Max 6 ESC, and stock motor. Looks to be the best compromise for what I am looking for. I have the Max 6 in my UDR and it’s defiantly a worth while upgrade. I waited until the stock one gave up and then swapped it out for the Max 6. Amazingly the ESC in the X-Maxx has been pretty good, with only minimal problems. I have ordered many parts in the past off flea bay from Jennys and I honestly forgot about them. Nice to see that they have their own site now, and yes, they have always had good service.

Overpowermaxx, I will send Brian a message to see what he has to offer to mount the “smaller” motor and then decide what route I will take, thank you for turning me on to Brian, they have great products and looks like a good guy to deal with.

My main goal with my X-maxx as I had mentioned is just to keep it reliable and as simple as possible. I will upgrade when necessary with this truck and keep stock where it makes sense. Now that I “found” Jenny’s again thanks to clubin it will help me keep this monster running at a reasonable budget!

Tires will be next, my stock ones are nearly worn out.

RC Qualifier
    Ah I see now I thought you got the 4985 motor, the 56mm dia motor will work with his normal mount. You will need to get a esc plate from him too!

For tires I like and have the duratrax bandito for on road but the six pack is great for off road they are all belted so you won’t have to worry about ballooning

RC Qualifier

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post

Thank you for the suggestions, but sadly, the first is in euros, and would be $300 by the time it’s on my door step (might as well order one from my LHS at that price) and second one doesn’t ship to Canada sadly..

I appreciate the suggestions though... so far Jenny’s is the best value.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you for the suggestions, but sadly, the first is in euros, and would be $300 by the time it’s on my door step (might as well order one from my LHS at that price) and second one doesn’t ship to Canada sadly..

I appreciate the suggestions though... so far Jenny’s is the best value.
    Sorry to read this, but, JRC is a great value seller, I buy they some pieces.