Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

I want to Savox Sb2292Sg

I have a Savox Sb2292Sg and want to stick it in my X-MAXX I have the adapter cage what else do I need to know
    Max6 esc.

RC Qualifier
    You will need to cut the front plastic part on the chassis out

I used some 1/4 foam to seal up the open edges
    You will need a 25t servo horn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    You will need to cut the front plastic part on the chassis out

I used some 1/4 foam to seal up the open edges
    You will need a 25t servo horn

ŅAny 25T servo horn works?

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I think the ones that have two holes are better if you want I will take a pic of the tag for the one Iím using

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have that servo. Cage, I donít think Iíll trimmed anything. I used a vanquish horn. Itís very strong. I wouldnít trust just any horn with that setup. I also installed a Castle BEC 2.0, so Iím not overtaxing the esc. Iím very happy with the setup. I have a clip of it installed in my build thread.

RC Qualifier
    In the case I need to replace the stock servo, have a JX 46kg, like this....

And have a 25T 3 hole alu servo horn and Traxxas adapter 7749 for replace all. Of course, have a 2 hole horn too.
    Last edited by Juanmacine; 02-23-2020 at 04:25 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    In the case I need to replace the stock servo, have a JX 46kg, like this....

And have a 25T 3 hole alu servo horn and Traxxas adapter 7749 for replace all. Of course, have a 2 hole horn too.
    Okay...

RC Enthusiast
    I have a HR horn
    To go on the Sb2292Sg. Do I need a bec with the max6? Thanks for the help overpower

RC Qualifier
    The stock max6 bec is 7.2v I think that servos max is 8.4 so it will run as you have it now but will not be full power you will need a programming box to change the standard preset 6.0v to the higher 7.2

The program card here there are cheaper sellers but they are from China and/or have worse reviews I trust this seller though
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/-LCD-Progra...temCondition=3

The max5 esc if you ever upgrade is a 8.2v bec

RC Qualifier
    The stock max6 bec is 7.2v I think that servos max is 8.4 so it will run as you have it now but will not be full power you will need a programming box to change the standard preset 6.0v to the higher 7.2

The program card here there are cheaper sellers but they are from China and/or have worse reviews I trust this seller though
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/-LCD-Progra...temCondition=3

The max5 esc if you ever upgrade is a 8.2v bec

Max 5 ESC from Hobbywing says in his technical dates has a 7.2v BEC.

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-max5-esc

If you need a higher BEC output, can use a Castle UBEC (with Castle Link), or Hobbywing UBEC 25A HV (3S-18S input)

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ubec-25a-hv
    Last edited by Juanmacine; 02-24-2020 at 10:14 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Ok guess I missed that
    So I gunk the max6 is only 6.0v?

RC Qualifier
    Ok guess I missed that
    So I gunk the max6 is only 6.0v?

No, Max 6 is same data sheet of Max 5, except the Amp rate, 160 in Max 6 and 200 in Max 5, rest of characteristics are the same.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Make sure you guys take the RX input voltage into the equation. Unless youíre gonna run the RX off of the BEC of the esc and the servo off the external BEC voltage.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Make sure you guys take the RX input voltage into the equation. Unless youíre gonna run the RX off of the BEC of the esc and the servo off the external BEC voltage.

The inner BEC voltage is 6v, if you don't want to use an external BEC, you can move any servo from this. Otherwise, you want to use the full power of a HV servo, an external BEC is necessary, cut or remove the positive wire in the ESC to RX harness and put the external BEC harness on RX, and this works.

The inner BEC voltage is 6v, if you don't want to use an external BEC, you can move any servo from this. Otherwise, you want to use the full power of a HV servo, an external BEC is necessary, cut or remove the positive wire in the ESC to RX harness and put the external BEC harness on RX, and this works.
    Gripdog7205 was stating that if you raise the BEC voltage, you need to be careful of how you hook up the RX. The Traxxas RX is not rated for anything higher than 6v. So if you run higher voltage on the RX you could burn it out.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Gripdog7205 was stating that if you raise the BEC voltage, you need to be careful of how you hook up the RX. The Traxxas RX is not rated for anything higher than 6v. So if you run higher voltage on the RX you could burn it out.
    I understand, in this case, is better to stay on 6v, a good servo works well on that voltage, 30 or more kg is enough to move X-Maxx steering, I think.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Thank you for trying again to explain my concern. Iím just trying to avoid the inevitable, I toasted my RX.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you for trying again to explain my concern. I’m just trying to avoid the inevitable, I toasted my RX.

Very sorry to read this. I don't understand why Traxxas not use a capable high voltage RX.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Very sorry to read this. I don't understand why Traxxas not use a capable high voltage RX.
    You can do it. Just have to know what youíre doing and pay attention. I havenít seen an rxís that support 8.4 vdc

RC Enthusiast
    Well crud I thought it would be running on 7.4 @ 6v I'd running below a 2085x.(365oz/in)
    Torque @ 6v - 22.0kg/305.5oz-in
    Torque @ 7.4v - 31.0kg/430.5oz-in
    Torque @ 8.4v - 45.0kg/624.9-in
    Speed @ 6v - 0.085 sec/60 deg
    Speed @ 7.4v - 0.07sec/60 deg
    Speed @ 8.4v - 0.055sec/60 deg
    Anyone have a tutorial lol
    RX? translation needed
    Last edited by Larebow; 02-26-2020 at 03:29 PM.

RC Racer
    You need an rx (reciever) bypass adapter, commonly used in crawlers, and an external bec. Check out holmes hobbies for the rx bypass, and castle creations or heyok ( the "no brainer bec" ) for the bec. The bec will power your servo at whatever voltage you need, without sending that higher voltage to the rx. The bec and servo plug into the rx bypass, and the bypass plugs into the rx to get just the signal to turn.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Iíve been using a savox 1210sg with a mamba x bec set at 7.4v with a cheap flysky gt3b transmitter/receiver for almost a year now with no issues. Should I not be doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    Iíve been using a savox 1210sg with a mamba x bec set at 7.4v with a cheap flysky gt3b transmitter/receiver for almost a year now with no issues. Should I not be doing this?
    As Gripdog7205 pointed out if the receiver is rated at the voltage you are putting through it you will be fine. If you are putting more voltage than what it is rated for then you can have issues.

RC Qualifier
    I think if you got a 2290 you would of been better off

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    You need an rx (reciever) bypass adapter, commonly used in crawlers, and an external bec. Check out holmes hobbies for the rx bypass, and castle creations or heyok ( the "no brainer bec" ) for the bec. The bec will power your servo at whatever voltage you need, without sending that higher voltage to the rx. The bec and servo plug into the rx bypass, and the bypass plugs into the rx to get just the signal to turn.

They donít bypass the RX. Just the stock BEC.

RC Qualifier
    Grip is there a bec that will run 8.4v?
    If I used a 2s lipo would it work or would it over-volt the servo because the fully charged voltage is 9.4v?
    Can you run a bec without cutting the wires close to the esc?
    What bec do you recommend for 8.2 or 8.4 vdc

RC Racer
    They donít bypass the RX. Just the stock BEC.

The bec power does bypass the rx. It'll only power the servo, the rx will gets its power from the esc's bec.

The bec power does bypass the rx. It'll only power the servo, the rx will gets its power from the esc's bec.

The standard set-up (per the manufacturer instructions - such as Castle) is to remove the red wire between the ESC and receiver thus the external BEC powers the receiver and rest of electronics. IF you connect the red/black wires from external BEC to servo(s) and run only the signal wire from servo to receiver and run all three wires from the ESC to the receiver, the BEC in the ESC will power the receiver and you can turn up the voltage to the servo(s).

This is how I wired mine:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6407727
    Last edited by Double G; 02-26-2020 at 09:23 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    The standard set-up (per the manufacturer instructions - such as Castle) is to remove the red wire between the ESC and receiver thus the external BEC powers the receiver and rest of electronics. IF you connect the red/black wires from external BEC to servo(s) and run only the signal wire from servo to receiver and run all three wires from the ESC to the receiver, the BEC in the ESC will power the receiver and you can turn up the voltage to the servo(s).

This is how I wired mine:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6407727
    Yeah that last pic in that thread is what I'm saying. But run a redundant ground from the servo and the external bec back to the rx, it'll prevent funky issues. Here's a pic of a rx bypass. I prefer to solder the wiring and eliminate the extra connectors, but one of these is handy for those more intimidating by it all

I want to Savox Sb2292Sg

Anybody using a high voltage receiver? Would that eliminate the need for the additional wiring mods?

Last edited by RC Dad; 02-26-2020 at 10:27 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Love this you guys are awesome.

RC Racer
    Anybody using a high voltage receiver? Would that eliminate the need for the additional wiring mods?

Yes, a higher rated voltage rx would eliminate the need for an external bec and bypass adapter (assuming your esc's internal bec is capable of higher voltage and has enough amps for your servo). I've seen rxs good up to 12v. Honestly though, when running a high torque high amp draw servo, such as the savox 2290, using an external bec would still be beneficial, because most escs use a linear mode bec, which creates more heat with higher input voltages ( your batteries, 4s and up seems to be where they run into heat issues), while external becs are switch mode, and its not effected by the higher voltage batteries. Now the extra heat created in the esc is what can cause an esc to fry, even with conservative gearing and a cool running motor.
    Full disclosure here though, most of my rc experience and therefore knowledge is crawler based, where steering servos work alot harder swinging large (ish) grippy tires on rocks while at a stand still or slowly moving. So while out bashing I wouldn't expect there to be as much asked from the servo, so it's less of an issue.

Yes, a higher rated voltage rx would eliminate the need for an external bec and bypass adapter (assuming your esc's internal bec is capable of higher voltage and has enough amps for your servo). I've seen rxs good up to 12v. Honestly though, when running a high torque high amp draw servo, such as the savox 2290, using an external bec would still be beneficial, because most escs use a linear mode bec, which creates more heat with higher input voltages ( your batteries, 4s and up seems to be where they run into heat issues), while external becs are switch mode, and its not effected by the higher voltage batteries. Now the extra heat created in the esc is what can cause an esc to fry, even with conservative gearing and a cool running motor.
    Full disclosure here though, most of my rc experience and therefore knowledge is crawler based, where steering servos work alot harder swinging large (ish) grippy tires on rocks while at a stand still or slowly moving. So while out bashing I wouldn't expect there to be as much asked from the servo, so it's less of an issue.

Thanks for the info! I spent a good amount of time reading some threads on this subject, and have found a lot of conflicting information. I think for my Rustler, Iíll just set the ESCís BEC to 6.0v and leave it at that. The extra voltage is probably not necessary.

One of the threads on the crawler forum had a number of people saying that they were running 7.4v through their cheap flysky receivers and werenít having any issues. Iíve had ours set at 7.4v for months now and havenít had any issues. So for our TRX-4 Sport, Iím going to leave it like this and see what happens. Worst case scenario, I fry a $12 receiver.

RC Qualifier

I want to Savox Sb2292Sg

One of the threads on the crawler forum had a number of people saying that they were running 7.4v through their cheap flysky receivers and werenít having any issues. Iíve had ours set at 7.4v for months now and havenít had any issues. So for our TRX-4 Sport, Iím going to leave it like this and see what happens. Worst case scenario, I fry a $12 receiver.
    I searched around a while ago and Iím sure I found references to people saying the Traxxas RXs can handle higher voltage. I canít remember exactly how high now though, it was enough that I put it out of my mind for my purposes and forgot the details. I do know the spektrum RXís I use are rated enough for HV servos.

I would say if youíre RX hasnít blown yet it should be fine. Iíll search around again and see if I can find the reference on the TRX RXs. Iím sure it was on this forum...

RC Enthusiast
    **If you have questions specific to a non-Traxxas product you'll need to use one of the venues they should provide regarding what they make. This forum is not to be used as vendor support for items other than Traxxas.
    Last edited by Double G; 02-28-2020 at 11:40 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    But savox was ok I'm confused I guess I'll try to find the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Larebow View Post
    But savox was ok I'm confused I guess I'll try to find the other.
    You can discuss how to make a non-Traxxas work with your Traxxas vehicle but specific support for non-Traxxas parts is not allowed here. That company should bear the expense to provide a way to answer questions for their products - either through online or via phone.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Got it

RC Qualifier
    I think if the servo offers a high torque (35 to 50 kg for example) at 6.0 volts, and the internal BEC of the VXL 8S is 10 amps continuous and 20 amps peak, every high toque servo, including 1/10 size, works perfectly, with the Traxxas adapter, of course. The issue of servo savers, servo horns and steering links maybe is a problem of adjust for our preferences or performance, it depends on we want in each case.
    Last edited by Juanmacine; 02-29-2020 at 02:12 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think if the servo offers a high torque (35 to 50 kg for example) at 6.0 volts, and the internal BEC of the VXL 8S is 10 amps continunous and 20 amps peak, every high toque servo, including 1/10 size, works perfectly, with the Traxxas adapter, of course. The issue of servo savers, servo horns and steering links maybe is a problem of adjust for our preferences or performance, it depends on we want in each case.
    I guess if you believe that spec, youíre right. The specs also say the 3S Vxl esc is rated for 200 amps and is no where near that. Not traxxas hating, I like their stuff, but there electronics and batteries are just good ideas with poor execution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast