RC poster

Gearing quesiton

I just got a TRX4 Mercedes and have already done a body and tire wheel change.

I am wondering if there is a way to lower the low gear to crawl better and changing the other gearing to make it faster in the higher gear.

Before:
    https://ibb.co/Zc4QwwL

After

https://ibb.co/wWYpcpm
    Last edited by MOguy; 02-25-2020 at 09:25 AM.

What you are describing would be changing the internal gear ratio in the transmission to have more torque in first gear and/or more speed in second gear. Unfortunately Traxxas does not make different internal ratios for this transmission.

The gearing options currently available are with the pinion / spur gear, which would adjust both first and second. Technically you can also install the overdrive or underdrive gears in the diffs to change the overall gear ratio too, but that would also change both first and second.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

Welcome to the forums!!!

I basically did what you described by changing the ESC and motor. Going to a Mamba-X with a sensored 1800kv motor on 3S gave me exceptional low speed crawling control, and a very respectable top end.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    What you are describing would be changing the internal gear ratio in the transmission to have more torque in first gear and/or more speed in second gear. Unfortunately Traxxas does not make different internal ratios for this transmission.

The gearing options currently available are with the pinion / spur gear, which would adjust both first and second. Technically you can also install the overdrive or underdrive gears in the diffs to change the overall gear ratio too, but that would also change both first and second.
    This is what I was hoping for but doesn't seem possible. I guess if I would to plan ahead and gear accordingly.
    Last edited by MOguy; 02-26-2020 at 01:29 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Welcome to the forums!!!

I basically did what you described by changing the ESC and motor. Going to a Mamba-X with a sensored 1800kv motor on 3S gave me exceptional low speed crawling control, and a very respectable top end.
    So I got that Castle combo 1850kv motor. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I am not sure if I want to go brushless for a crawler. From what I understand brushed motors run slower (crawl) easier and have better drag braking. I am new to RC rock crawling but on my Jeep I have a bicycle gear shifter for a hand throttle for load speed control and low gearing. Drag braking (on the RC) would be like using the engine compression (on the Jeep) to slow you.
    Last edited by MOguy; 02-26-2020 at 02:38 PM.

RC Competitor
    It all depends upon your budget, and level of noise you can tolerate. I hate the high pitched noises by the low-speed BL systems so I stick to brushed motors. I have a holmes hobbies 21t trailmaster sport and 12t crawlmaster sport. Both are amazing values for the money and have significantly better drag braking than the stock titan. If you wanna go slow and smooth the crawmaster is your best bet, and if overall torque the trailmaster is hard to beat, but if your budget allows he has better rebuildable motors as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
    I am not sure if I want to go brushless for a crawler. From what I understand brushed motors run slower (crawl) easier and have better drag braking. I am new to RC rock crawling but on my Jeep I have a bicycle gear shifter for a hand throttle for load speed control and low gearing. Drag braking (on the RC) would be like using the engine compression (on the Jeep) to slow you.
    It depends on the system. The Mamba-X with a sensored motor like the 1800kv can do anything a brushed system will, but it does it a lot better and will give more run time while it is doing it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I run a mamba MMP and a Holmes hobbies 2200 puller pro.
    I will never go back to a brushed system.i switched every rig I have to brushless.mamba x is a outstanding esc.The aux wire is a great feature.
    Allowing you to program it for different functions.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    I run a HW AXE 2700 KV, which is designed for crawling. It's decently expensive, but its performance is AMAZING, the low speed control is insane, and it maintains torque even at the lowest speeds.

The motor also has amazing programmability, allowing you to change things like the amount of power when reversing, and the drag brake percentage, which goes as high as to 200%, which will hold on the steepest hills.

I see there are two kinds of people in this world, the Castle motor user, and the Hobbywing motor user. I'm a Hobbywing guy, but both are very nice companies.
    Last edited by TITANIUM94010; 02-27-2020 at 12:08 AM.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.