RC Competitor

Time to upgrade to brushless

I have a Pede 4x4 with a stock brushed motor and esc. I want to go brushless and have been looking at the Castle SCT and sidewinder 4 units - 1410 motor, 3800 KV. Like my gen 1 revo I love having the ability to program the esc from my computer. I have also looked at doing the Traxxas trade in for the VXL. I mainly just bash and donít have any interest in doing the mamba X and big motor in my truck. Any thoughts?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Meangreen1979 View Post
    I have a Pede 4x4 with a stock brushed motor and esc. I want to go brushless and have been looking at the Castle SCT and sidewinder 4 units - 1410 motor, 3800 KV. Like my gen 1 revo I love having the ability to program the esc from my computer. I have also looked at doing the Traxxas trade in for the VXL. I mainly just bash and donít have any interest in doing the mamba X and big motor in my truck. Any thoughts?
    Iíve been playing with my 4pede for almost a decade. I moved to it because the T-Maxx is just to complicated and the X-Maxx is just too darned big sometimes. The stock Traxxas electronic stuff is not bad for bashing. Itís easy to use and reliable. Just donít push it, at all. I destroyed the stock motor in my original VXL with a 3S battery. Man, she went like the wind, for about 30 seconds and the the magnets disintegrated.

The diff gearing is different in the VXL, but I run the old Brushed diff gears because I prefer sensors motors and it is hard to find one that can handle even 2S.

Look hard at suspension upgrades as there is a LOT more power to handle. Changes to shocks, I went with some longer A arms and a steel drive shaft upgrade also. I think a brushless motor would quickly snap the stock brushed drive shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stock driveshafts for the brushed are the same in the VXL model. Theyíll handle it just fine. If itís a concern for the op, they can look into steel driveshafts.

RC Competitor
    Drive shafts definitely depend on 2s or 3s lipo. I'm pretty happy with the stock vxls3s on 2s lipo. I have been bashing it since october pretty hard and have had no issues with drive shafts or temperatures. I tightened the slipper almost all the way and can wheelie when I want and it goes plenty fast for me. But I know people that use 3s and snap plastic shafts all the time.

Any good brushless system will be fine, there are good hobby wing and castle systems. Traxxas warranty and support can't be beat. I don't know what the trade in brings there price down to, that might be a helping factor.

RC Enthusiast
    @Meangreen I know you said you want to go with the castle but I would like to suggest the Hobbywing MAX10 combo. I'm running it in my pede and it's performance is crazy. I don't know the price for the kit you're looking but the hobbywing is pretty cheap for what you get.

I have a Hobbywing MAX10 combo myself. Runs very well with 3s Lipo.

RC Competitor
    I ended up going with a Sidewinder 4 w/4600 motor. I only will be running 2s lipo and the guy at the hobby shop said I could gear it to work no problem, just wouldn't be able to gear it quite as fast as the 3800 motor. I do have a motor fan and if things get too hot I can always pick up a 3800 or lower motor later on.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by lcback View Post
    Drive shafts definitely depend on 2s or 3s lipo. I'm pretty happy with the stock vxls3s on 2s lipo. I have been bashing it since october pretty hard and have had no issues with drive shafts or temperatures. I tightened the slipper almost all the way and can wheelie when I want and it goes plenty fast for me. But I know people that use 3s and snap plastic shafts all the time.

Any good brushless system will be fine, there are good hobby wing and castle systems. Traxxas warranty and support can't be beat. I don't know what the trade in brings there price down to, that might be a helping factor.
    Iíve been dinking around with my 4Pede for 6 or 7 years or so. If you run any kind of power, or like to wheelie, drive shafts will quickly cut into your play time.

I too originally thought I wouldnít mind slapping in the oem plastic ones as needed. Even the Traxxas steel ones are worth the money. Trust me on this one.

I went with some Proline extended A-arms and some special steel axles to go with and itís been bullet proof. Give the axle cups a shot of grease every few runs or right after it gets wet and no problem.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmarzke View Post
    Iíve been dinking around with my 4Pede for 6 or 7 years or so. If you run any kind of power, or like to wheelie, drive shafts will quickly cut into your play time.

I too originally thought I wouldnít mind slapping in the oem plastic ones as needed. Even the Traxxas steel ones are worth the money. Trust me on this one.

I went with some Proline extended A-arms and some special steel axles to go with and itís been bullet proof. Give the axle cups a shot of grease every few runs or right after it gets wet and no problem.

I upgraded all the driveshafts awhile back, so Iím not worried about dropping in more power. May have to upgrade the diffs at some point though.

RC Racer
    I ended up going with a Sidewinder 4 w/4600 motor. I only will be running 2s lipo and the guy at the hobby shop said I could gear it to work no problem, just wouldn't be able to gear it quite as fast as the 3800 motor. I do have a motor fan and if things get too hot I can always pick up a 3800 or lower motor later on.
    You'll have to gear very low to prevent overheating that motor, even with a motor fan.
    A 4600KV is used in light cars to get extra speed. I have one in my 2wd Rustler and even in that car it's not ideal.

For a heavy 4x4 with big tires, like the Stampede, you need the torque of a lower KV motor (3500 kv or less).

RC Competitor
    So I'm reconsidering the Castle SW4 w 4600 motor and returning it and going to Hobbywing MAX10 combo. Two questions:

1. Do I need a programmer?
    2. What do you gear the motor, specifically pinion since the shaft is larger than the Traxxas motor shaft and I will need to pick up a couple?

RC Racer
    So I'm reconsidering the Castle SW4 w 4600 motor and returning it and going to Hobbywing MAX10 combo. Two questions:

1. Do I need a programmer?
    2. What do you gear the motor, specifically pinion since the shaft is larger than the Traxxas motor shaft and I will need to pick up a couple?
    I have the HW SC Max 10 Ezrun with the 3660 3200kv motor.
    I use a 15t pinion, 54t spur on 2S.

You don't need a programmer, but I bought one to make the programming easy.