RC Competitor

Lots of love for an old Rustler

So, I was on Facebook Marketplace a few weeks ago, as I often do and found an ad for a Rally VXL. In the pics was also the chassis of a Rustler, but it didn't show much else. I confirmed that the Rustler was included, made an offer for both cars that felt good to me, and the seller agreed.

Let's just say I feel like I got the Rustler for free, which explains what happens next.

Right off the bat, the Rustler needed new tires all around, so I ordered a set of stock ones with black chrome finish wheels. I quickly determined that I was likely to kill the pin style tires in one or two sessions (lots of asphalt and hard pack), so I got a pair of Talons off a 4x4 version and used those in the back instead. One regret is the LHS didn't have the black chrome for those too, but such is life.

Next, the electronics. The 2055 servo (not waterproof) is working fine, I'll swap it for something else eventually but for now it's staying. The ESC was the yellow non-waterproof kind without low voltage protection, and the TX/RX was the ancient 27mhz version. I sold off a 4x4 Stampede, the buyer didn't want my TX/RX (the remote looks the same as the AM style just with 2.4ghz in it), so I moved those over to the Rustler. My LHS took my AM TX/RX and yellow ESC as an even trade for a newer style blue waterproof ESC from his pile of used parts. Now, it has low voltage protection, a waterproof transmitter box with good range and no eye poking antennas.

Finally, the mechanicals. The motor was a recent replacement with clearly very little run time. The bearing carriers at all 4 corners had bushings, and they were some old tiny version. Replaced all that with current parts, actual bearings, etc. Finally, I upgraded all the gears in the trans to brushless capable metal ones and replaced the roll pin at the top gear with a piece of 1/16" drill bit. I've broken enough of those I just fix it preemptively now.

So, all in, I'm in it about what it's worth, and I could have gotten to the same place with a different one that was just made more recently... but I really like this truck. I think the Rustler is my favorite 2WD model now. Knowing that I basically built it myself is a huge plus.

The body is the older boxy style, need to get a newer one to save the old one, it's not too badly bashed up and good luck finding replacements.

I wish I took pictures, but such is life.
    Last edited by BlueTrane2028; 02-24-2020 at 08:07 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTrane2028 View Post
    So, I was on Facebook Marketplace a few weeks ago, as I often do and found an ad for a Rally VXL. In the pics was also the chassis of a Rustler, but it didn't show much else. I confirmed that the Rustler was included, made an offer for both cars that felt good to me, and the seller agreed.

Let's just say I feel like I got the Rustler for free, which explains what happens next.

Right off the bat, the Rustler needed new tires all around, so I ordered a set of stock ones with black chrome finish wheels. I quickly determined that I was likely to kill the pin style tires in one or two sessions (lots of asphalt and hard pack), so I got a pair of Talons off a 4x4 version and used those in the back instead. One regret is the LHS didn't have the black chrome for those too, but such is life.

Next, the electronics. The 2055 servo (not waterproof) is working fine, I'll swap it for something else eventually but for now it's staying. The ESC was the yellow non-waterproof kind without low voltage protection, and the TX/RX was the ancient 27mhz version. I sold off a 4x4 Stampede, the buyer didn't want my TX/RX (the remote looks the same as the AM style just with 2.4ghz in it), so I moved those over to the Rustler. My LHS took my AM TX/RX and yellow ESC as an even trade for a newer style blue waterproof ESC from his pile of used parts. Now, it has low voltage protection, a waterproof transmitter box with good range and no eye poking antennas.

Finally, the mechanicals. The motor was a recent replacement with clearly very little run time. The bearing carriers at all 4 corners had bushings, and they were some old tiny version. Replaced all that with current parts, actual bearings, etc. Finally, I upgraded all the gears in the trans to brushless capable metal ones and replaced the roll pin at the top gear with a piece of 1/16" drill bit. I've broken enough of those I just fix it preemptively now.

So, all in, I'm in it about what it's worth, and I could have gotten to the same place with a different one that was just made more recently... but I really like this truck. I think the Rustler is my favorite 2WD model now. Knowing that I basically built it myself is a huge plus.

The body is the older boxy style, need to get a newer one to save the old one, it's not too badly bashed up and good luck finding replacements.

I wish I took pictures, but such is life.
    That’s really cool.
    I’ve gotten some good deals on some used stuff but that is a really sweet deal indeed.
    I think it’s cool that your LHS traded the old electronics.
    That whole build sounds very similar to my Resto Mod Stampede.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    Thatís really cool.
    Iíve gotten some good deals on some used stuff but that is a really sweet deal indeed.
    I think itís cool that your LHS traded the old electronics.
    That whole build sounds very similar to my Resto Mod Stampede.
    I did think of your Stampede at one point during this, it really is about the same thing just on a different chassis.

I noticed the LHS operator rebuilding an old 27mhz transmitter, he said that a lot of his customers don't have a lot of money and pretty much have to stick with what they have, and he's got a soft spot for the kids so he makes it happen. I asked if he would trade in older stuff like that and he was enthusiastically in support of it, so I knew I had an in.

I actually traded two 27mhz tx/rx combos and the ESC for the one newer one, which is still good to me. My kid doesn't watch what he's doing with the long antenna controllers and almost took my eye out once, so they are useless (to me). Trading useless for useful is a win and it's gonna eventually help some poor family keep their aging RCs running, a win for them too.

I also gave him the all plastic diff housing and the old non-bearing steering blocks/bearing carriers. Useful in an old car staying stock, but not for what I will end up putting it through. I think this will eventually get a brushless setup tossed into it. As previously posted, I like how it drives, it seems faster than my other 2wd cars, handling is excellent too. Stock springs and 50wt oil, that's it. It's practically begging me to make somewhat of a speed monster out of it.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I’d like to find a home ( someone who can use ) my non bearing steering/ hub carriers and plastic gear internals from my original chassis.
    Also,I love that your LHS proprietor does what he can to keep kids and those without as much disposable income in the hobby.

RC Competitor
    How it sits now