RC Champion

Thinking about getting a Maxx

Hey guys.

I'm looking for a basher. I'll most likely take it to baseball fields, parking lots and maybe some dirt jumps. I'm not sure if I should get a Maxx or E-Revo or even a 4x4 Slash.

What do you think?

I love my revo 2.0 but the Maxx definitely seems to be a more rugged design and if youíre trying to keep the total cost down the Maxx is cheaper to begin with and also only needs 1 battery vs 2 with the revo. You really canít go wrong with either though. The revo is more maneuverable and handles better. For what you want it for, the slash would probably not be a good choice.

RC Competitor
    I went with the maxx for the ease of working on it (modular design). Plus, youíre going to need two batteries to run the e revo (not sure if it runs on one) while the maxx will run on one battery. Upfront cost is a bit cheaper for the maxx vs the e revo. Donít get me wrong, if you have the cash and want something different than the maxx series trucks go with the e revo. At some point Iím going to buy one for myself as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Can you guys post a list of some first upgrades I should look into if I decide to get one? Thanks.

RC Competitor
    Does not really need upgrades I found. Same tape on the body and fans tend to break. Check out the just ordered thread I go in to touch more detail.

RC poster
    If you are going the Maxx direction then order the widemaxx kit and purchase the extended metal axle kit. I was not that happy with the handling of my Maxx out of the box but the upgrades made a huge handling improvement. My E Revo 2.0 handles great out of the box and is a bit faster. Basher = Maxx, Track = E Revo

RC poster
    I agree with RCRon, get the widemaxx kit, you won’t regret spending the extra $150. Keeps you upright and allows you to really push its 4s capabilities.

$700 is a lot for a plastic truck. I love my Maxx, but if someone told me I had to spend another $150 on top of that, I would think twice. More than twice.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    $700 is a lot for a plastic truck. I love my Maxx, but if someone told me I had to spend another $150 on top of that, I would think twice. More than twice.
    Agreed! I don't really see the wide kit appeal...just get the E-Revo. No sense trying to turn one vehicle into another.

RC Competitor
    OP lives in NYC and Revo may be the right decision but as for me in the burbs, the Maxx + wide kit = Durable as a Maxx and handles like a Revo. No more cracked chassis for me. Admittedly Traxxas had this all planed out to soak us all with the upgrades but in the long run IMO it's less frustrating with less downtime and my time has a value. Your experience and time may differ.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF353 View Post
    Can you guys post a list of some first upgrades I should look into if I decide to get one? Thanks.
    Unless you want a 2nd complete truck, upgrade parts AFTER you break them. Speaking from experience
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate 2400kv

RC Champion
    I agree with someone above about buying another $150 in parts for this truck. I'd rather just get an E-Revo or possibly a X-Maxx.

I'm still looking around to see what I'd like to get.

RC Racer
    I extended my xmaxx width,,,man what a different animal,,,,love it,,,,I’m going to get the wide maxx kit too,,,only 42.00 on eBay....

RC poster
    It’s a really nice little truck but it’s absolutely ridiculous that it has plastic axles. My sons didn’t last a week before he twisted an axle

The e-revo 2.0 is a formidable basher. Most of, if not all of the issues from the v1 have been fixed on the v2. Aside from rear shock limiting strap and an alloy chassis brace, it's pretty solid out of the box.

Bigger and more complicated to work on at times (probably) than the maxx, but a nice basher just the same.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Champion
    What about the rustler 4x4?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    What about the rustler 4x4?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Probably a good choice if you don't want to run in grass a lot. It sits so low that it will drag a lot which will make it more prone to run hot and not run as quick as a taller vehicle. My stampede 4x4 vxl runs pretty warm unless the grass is really short. My larger 6S trucks seem less affected, but they do run warmer as well.

My converted eJato will hardly move if the grass is too tall. Great when it's short, in the sand or at skate parks though.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC poster
    Think not but do

RC poster
    I currently have 2 Latrax Tetons that are money pits. Every time I take them out, something breaks. I'm thinking of buying a Maxx, hoping that this will be a lot stronger. But would like to run it at 'Teton' speeds. What battery would I need then? Can I put in a 2S Lipo instead of a 4S? I don't do anything crazy. Usually I just go trail riding with my 7 year old son. Some small jumps, donuts, ... nothing crazy.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by OswaldOtte View Post
    I currently have 2 Latrax Tetons that are money pits. Every time I take them out, something breaks. I'm thinking of buying a Maxx, hoping that this will be a lot stronger. But would like to run it at 'Teton' speeds. What battery would I need then? Can I put in a 2S Lipo instead of a 4S? I don't do anything crazy. Usually I just go trail riding with my 7 year old son. Some small jumps, donuts, ... nothing crazy.
    No, not 2s capable, 3 or 4 only. A 3s is almost too slow, if you get the Bluetooth connector you can modulate things like throttle, so go with 4S and enable training mode with like 80% throttle.
    Last edited by Matman; 04-08-2020 at 07:50 AM.

RC poster
    I think the Teton is around 20mph, which is fast enough for my 7 year old. Does that mean I need to take 3S and set to 50% on Maxx?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by OswaldOtte View Post
    I think the Teton is around 20mph, which is fast enough for my 7 year old. Does that mean I need to take 3S and set to 50% on Maxx?
    Sounds like a good starting point
    fabricator