Never had a pinion do this before!

I got some new 5200mah 2s lipos recently and I finally got the chance to try them out. They are 80C and pack quite a punch! The ol Titan 12T was really putting out some speed! Until I heard the motor free-spinning. I was expecting to find a shredded spur gear but instead saw this:

The pinion set screw was just loose enough to slide down the output shaft but still tight enough to not come off! I plan on triple checking everything this weekend to make sure something else isnít forcing the pinion off track.
    Revo .18TM BL Rustler Stampede MERV HPI Sprint 2

I use Loctite on any metal to metal contact. There is a ton of vibration on the pinion gear and it will work its way loose without Loctite.

I used loctite! Now if you ask me when this pinion was installed I can’t give you an answer, LOL!
    Revo .18TM BL Rustler Stampede MERV HPI Sprint 2

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
    I used loctite! Now if you ask me when this pinion was installed I canít give you an answer, LOL!
    Eventually you will have another one come loose. I find it more often after a pinion change.
    If you canít remember how long itís been, youíre doing pretty good...

RC Qualifier
    I have had good luck getting the purple loctite to hold well by cleaning the pinion and set screw with brake clean spray. I've started using the Robinson torx set screws, less problems with stripping or breaking hex wrenches.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk