RC Competitor

Liability for damages

Haven't been in the unfortunate position of damaging someone else's property. If this ever does occur how does one go about reconciliation with the individual who was on the receiving end? Someone's car, depending on where the RC car hit could be thousands. Assume it's all out of pocket but not exactly sure if home or auto insurance can be used?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Take responsibility for your own actions is what I'd say.

RC Qualifier
    Check with your insurance provider.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Take responsibility for your own actions is what I'd say.
    That's literally what i was referring towards...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    Check with your insurance provider.

Have you had to make a claim like that before?

RC Qualifier
    No, but if I was in a public place when injury or property damage was possible I'd be checking into liability insurance either home owners or auto, possibly both to c.m.a.

RC Qualifier
    Might be different depending on whether you are doing it for personal fun or for commercial purposes ie YouTube channel too?

Your auto coverage wouldn't cover that. Your homeowner's or umbrella may. The owner could pursue the claim through their auto insurance company but then the company would subrogate you for losses incurred to both their insured as well as themselves.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Your auto coverage wouldn't cover that. Your homeowner's or umbrella may. The owner could pursue the claim through their auto insurance company but then the company would subrogate you for losses incurred to both their insured as well as themselves.
    I'd imagine the individual wouldn't want to make a claim on their own insurance. I used to fly rc airplanes when I was younger but I had an AMA license which handled this kind of thing. My son is getting older and want to run the car but I'm in a neighborhood and if you're new or not aware of your surroundings you could quickly get into a situation where damage to people's property could occur. Knowing what to do ahead of time is my goal here. Maybe tomorrow I can call my insurance to ask the question lol.

This would be your homeowner's insurance.

If everything goes the way it should after you damage someone's car with your RC, you would exchange information, they'd file a claim with their insurance, their insurance would contact your insurance, and the claim would be settled.

This is why I steer well clear of other people's cars with my RCs, don't want to even have to deal with this.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    This would be your homeowner's insurance.

If everything goes the way it should after you damage someone's car with your RC, you would exchange information, they'd file a claim with their insurance, their insurance would contact your insurance, and the claim would be settled.

This is why I steer well clear of other people's cars with my RCs, don't want to even have to deal with this.
    We have a nice grassy area but that too is surrounded by fences and homes so damage could happen anywhere.

I appreciate the insight gang, i am going to talk with my homeowners insurance to run these hypothetical scenarios by them and see what they say. If anyone's interested I'll post back here with an update.

Quote Originally Posted by zalphen View Post
    I'd imagine the individual wouldn't want to make a claim on their own insurance. I used to fly rc airplanes when I was younger but I had an AMA license which handled this kind of thing. My son is getting older and want to run the car but I'm in a neighborhood and if you're new or not aware of your surroundings you could quickly get into a situation where damage to people's property could occur. Knowing what to do ahead of time is my goal here. Maybe tomorrow I can call my insurance to ask the question lol.

You are right, no one wants to make a claim on their insurance if they don't have to. When I did auto insurance claims more often than not our insured went through the other party's carrier. BUT, if they feel they didn't get the right answers or proper service they had their insurance to fall back on (and incur out-of-pocket deductible expense) and we would go after the other party/insurance and recoup funds we and the insured spent.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    I have a question, if I swaped out the parts of a standard toy grade remote control car for traxxas parts but still kept the body would thet technically make the car a traxxas? The body of the toy grade remote control car would still remain present but the mechanics would be by traxxas.

RC Qualifier
    If you're talking as far as a warranty I don't believe changing the body would void it.

Quote Originally Posted by SAMMYTHESLAM View Post
    I have a question, if I swaped out the parts of a standard toy grade remote control car for traxxas parts but still kept the body would thet technically make the car a traxxas? The body of the toy grade remote control car would still remain present but the mechanics would be by traxxas.
    No. Definitely no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Well sleeper cars look like normal cars but pack a big powerfull engine under the hood accompanied by some racing parts(diffs, transmission, intake ect) and my concept is a toy grade remote control car but with every part that makes it go by traxxas but on the outside it still looks like a cheap toy grade remote control car so is my concept the concept of a sleeper car?

RC poster
    Probably not

Quote Originally Posted by SAMMYTHESLAM View Post
    First, this is an entirely different topic, you should post up a new thread instead of hijacking a current thread.

Second, of you took a Traxxas RC, and put another body on it, it would be a Traxxas RC. But, if you gutted another RC (no matter the hobby grade), and just put Traxxas electronics in it, then no, not a Traxxas RC. It is not uncommon at all for people running Axial, Element, or Ventura to install Traxxas electronics into them, but that does not make them Traxxas RCs, nor will the moderators allow them to be posted. When you start doing custom work, where you are blending chassis components, then there is a grey area.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    You are right, no one wants to make a claim on their insurance if they don't have to. When I did auto insurance claims more often than not our insured went through the other party's carrier. BUT, if they feel they didn't get the right answers or proper service they had their insurance to fall back on (and incur out-of-pocket deductible expense) and we would go after the other party/insurance and recoup funds we and the insured spent.
    Thanks for the insider info. I hope to get some more time today to ask my insurance the question.