Thread: New body

RC Racer

New body

My first time painting my own body.

Can't wait to see the result.
    Gotta say the cutting out part really sucks, but that may be because my hobby knife is a cheap dollar store knife. ** Note to self, buy a real hobby knife you cheap skate.
    At least trusty Dremel cleaned it up pretty well.
    Now for a rub in the tub and some masking tape.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by B-stinga; 03-01-2020 at 08:56 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Looking good! I like to use curved lexan scissors

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I'll agree cutting out the body is terrible, I don't like it either. I have a buddy that uses a good grade exacto knike than scores it out than breaks off the pieces. Myself I use a lexan straight and curved scissors. Than depending on how it turns out I'll use some emery cloth or my dremal. Really liking the color choices, should look good when your done.

I have to mention something. If your using body clips to hold the body on remember to cut out spots in the body before painting it. Unless your using some other way of holding on the body, magnets, hinge, etc.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike mechanic View Post
    I'll agree cutting out the body is terrible, I don't like it either. I have a buddy that uses a good grade exacto knike than scores it out than breaks off the pieces. Myself I use a lexan straight and curved scissors. Than depending on how it turns out I'll use some emery cloth or my dremal. Really liking the color choices, should look good when your done.

I have to mention something. If your using body clips to hold the body on remember to cut out spots in the body before painting it. Unless your using some other way of holding on the body, magnets, hinge, etc.
    Sadly I live in area with not very many hobby shops.
    Places like Walmart (at least here in Canada) don't carry lexan scissors. And was way too excited to start to wait for Amazon to ship me some lol
    I am getting another body at the end of the week at a LHS and will for sure be picking up proper scissors at the same time.

Thanks for the tip on the body posts... The instrictions say "pilot hole" before painting... should not be a pilot hole but rather the actual holes.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    Places like Walmart (at least here in Canada) don't carry lexan scissors. And was way too excited to start to wait for Amazon to ship me some lol
    I am getting another body at the end of the week at a LHS and will for sure be picking up proper scissors at the same time.

Thanks for the tip on the body posts... The instrictions say "pilot hole" before painting... should not be a pilot hole but rather the actual holes.

Look in the crafts/sewing area of Walmary, they sell a small curved tip scissors that works good on lexan/polycarbonate.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    Look in the crafts/sewing area of Walmary, they sell a small curved tip scissors that works good on lexan/polycarbonate.

Walmart, lol Walmary!!! I like to buy the precut bodies, I can spend an entire evening trimming/prepping a regular body.

RC Qualifier

That's funny. Getting another body before your done, lol.thats ok. It's good to have hobby projects. I'm plenty guilty of that myself. I've got lots of stuff I buy and work on later when i get time. Definitely pick up some supplies when you hit your lhs, good idea. Especially if there's nothing close to you. Guess I'm lucky, I've got my fav lhs on my way to work. Another one after that and than a larger supplier that's still close by.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike mechanic View Post
    That's funny. Getting another body before your done, lol.thats ok. It's good to have hobby projects. I'm plenty guilty of that myself. I've got lots of stuff I buy and work on later when i get time. Definitely pick up some supplies when you hit your lhs, good idea. Especially if there's nothing close to you. Guess I'm lucky, I've got my fav lhs on my way to work. Another one after that and than a larger supplier that's still close by.
    It's bad to not have any close, but it also saves me money

RC Racer
    Got some scissors
    Reamer is a bonus, it should make nicer holes than my dewalt lol
    Blue is done, black backing is done...

The rest you guys get to see once done.

But through this experience, I lift my hat to all that do this... It isn't as ez pz as one would think. Even more so with designs added in...

RC Racer
    Gotta say, I am satisfied with the result...
    Mettalic blue is beautiful.
    For my first stripes, it's not bad. Although, all I see is the imperfections in my work, bit I am built like that.

Time for some decals...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Gotta say, I am satisfied with the result...
    Mettalic blue is beautiful.
    For my first stripes, it's not bad. Although, all I see is the imperfections in my work, bit I am built like that.

Time for some decals...

I like the white top and clear sunroof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Stickered up and ready to go... no lights so looks like the maiden voyage will be tomorrow.

Thanks Grip... wasn't sure how the roof look was gonna turn out because when taping I couldn't make up my mind with where I wanted it to start and finish lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I like the white top and clear sunroof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same here, lol. Nice work!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Outstanding work!!!

Just about the only thing that could be better is if it had actual light bezels.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Maiden voyage

Already looking forward to the next one... Ford Raptor and since I am feeling ambitious, I am going to attempt fading colors together on my second body job lol

https://youtu.be/Vw6LOUC-J-0

RC Qualifier
    very nice!

RC poster
    I wish it snowed where I live, the traxx look very cool. I thought about ordering them last night, but ended up buying a Slash 2WD instead at the local shop. Kinda wowed how much cheaper Traxxas can end up being over a Tamiya kit plus everything else necessary,

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by akira View Post
    I wish it snowed where I live, the traxx look very cool. I thought about ordering them last night, but ended up buying a Slash 2WD instead at the local shop. Kinda wowed how much cheaper Traxxas can end up being over a Tamiya kit plus everything else necessary,
    I got a friend into crawling a few months ago... He found a used Tamiya CR-01. He has been spending money on it ever since lol.
    Not so many people carry Tamiya VS Traxxas parts, I am sold Traxxas for life.

RC poster
    Once I started figuring out how much it would cost to upgrade my CC-01 chassis, I saw that the Tamiya money pit is almost bottomless with parts availability being the bottom. I got out of RC around 1991 after I broke my Porsche 959 and couldn't find parts to fix it. About 10 years ago, I found the parts on eBay, fixed it, tested it and sold it before I even had a chance to break it. Weirdly, it was kind of a rare kit, so I basically got back what I paid for the kit when it was new. My Frog...it's salvageable, but I got the Slash instead.

Only thing about Traxxas seems to be there are WAY MORE parts and upgrades available, and that could be good or bad (for my wallet), but by the time I would upgrade the Tamiya Defender to be even not really close to the TRX, I could probably buy a built TRX.

How are the traxx on dirt and blacktop? Better more extreme crawling with them over some upgraded tires?

RC Racer
    I have a strong suspicion tires will be better for rock crawling. The Traxx are unbeatable in the snow but rather boring on blacktop for sure. I have run them on indoor tracks, gets people's attention, but tires perform better IMO.

RC poster
    Thanks, you probably just saved me $200 to satisfy my curiosity.