RC poster

Throttle glitches/ stutters with new LIPO batteries

I have a first gen e-Maxx with 2 stock 550 Titian motors an standard evx 3014 speed control. Truck was running fine with the 2 very weak 3300mh ni-mh batteries, it was just slow..so upgraded to 2 5000mh LIPO..car now glitches when I press throttle..only way it will get up to speed is if I BEARLY touch throttle an easy into really slow..thatís only in low gear, if I put it on high gear truck wonít move at all..are the batteries to much for speed controller or motors or both? Any help would be great thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Throttle glitches/ stutters with new LIPO batteries

What cell count are the new batteries, wired in series or parallel? Not familiar with that esc. Check the specs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xGHOSTx View Post
    Thanks for the help guys..almost 100 views between 2 post an not a single reply.
    Here is the ESC info: https://traxxas.com/products/parts/legacyparts/evx

RC Competitor
    It is not compatible with lipo. get a quicrun wp 880 30 bucks and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by patmanz28 View Post
    It is not compatible with lipo. get a quicrun wp 880 30 bucks and call it a day.
    I kind of would expect it to still work, it just won't have an LVC circuit in it to keep you from running the lipo's down.

What lipo's are you using? What connectors? Too low of C rating or bad connectors cause inability to get current to the esc which causes it to stutter.

I had that happen on my stampede 4x4 vxl once. One of the esc input wires had fractured internally due to work hardening as it flexed repeatedly. It only had about 1/3 of the wires still making contact. It would power up and spin the tires if I picked it up, but when on the ground, I had to feather the throttle to get it to move or it would stutter/chatter really bad.

Then again, if the esc is limited to 14.4V, a 4S lipo fully charged is closer to 16.8V which would be 1-2 nimh cells too much.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So, plenty of replies now, what say you? Why donít you try running it on a single lipo. See if the problem is the battery or esc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess would be the motors are on their way out.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Competitor
    No, the motors are not on the way out. The ESC cannot handle the voltage of two fully charges 2s lipo batteries. yes, NiMH is the technically higher voltage when fully charged, but they sag fast when used. We tested our evx in an old emaxx would work fine with NiMH but would cut out with lipo unless you run them down first a bit. The ESC will not work with LIpo too much voltage too much current. we bought the ESC listed above and it has ran great for years with it.

When the motors on thier way out they'll draw more current. The original esc has 160A rated current the quicrun has 400A rated current.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.